Hoffman Mountaineer Pac Boot Review **Updated 1/30/22**

sndmn11

WKR
@Justin Crossley You mentioned sizing down, while their website says to size up from 1/2 sizes. I am typically an 8.5 or 9 and was planning on going with a 9. Any reason to change that?
Thanks for the review!
The thinsulate Guides say order up for in between, the wool Mountaineer says down for in between.

I am an 11.5 - 12 and ordered size 11 mountaineers. They still have room for big cushy socks if need be.

Wool says down

Thinsulate says up

Reactions: prm

prm

WKR
Thanks, not sure how I missed the two different boots. It appears the difference is a removable 9mm felt liner on the Mountaineer vs. a removable 200gm Thinsulate liner (can purchase 400gm) on the Guide. Both have 200gm thinsulate and 9mm felt in the footbed.
Anyone know how different they are if using the 400gm liner on the Guide? Or, other considerations of Thinsulate vs. felt liner. Question for @Hoffman Boots

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
@Justin Crossley You mentioned sizing down, while their website says to size up from 1/2 sizes. I am typically an 8.5 or 9 and was planning on going with a 9. Any reason to change that?
Thanks for the review!
Not in the Mountaineer. These do run a bit on the larger size and will get a bit bigger when the felt compresses. If you wear a size 9 in most things and plan on wearing a heavier sock, I would probably stay with the 9 then.
Hoffman Boots

Mine did well this morning. -3F when I left the vehicle around 8” of snow and some wind. About 5 miles with a few thousand vertical and my feet feel good. Toes only got a little chilled when I was stopped for about 15 minutes to look some elk over trying to find a bull. Once I resumed hiking they were warm again.
First time wearing them other than around the house to get used to them and applying obenoufs.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks, not sure how I missed the two different boots. It appears the difference is a removable 9mm felt liner on the Mountaineer vs. a removable 200gm Thinsulate liner (can purchase 400gm) on the Guide. Both have 200gm thinsulate and 9mm felt in the footbed.
Anyone know how different they are if using the 400gm liner on the Guide? Or, other considerations of Thinsulate vs. felt liner. Question for @Hoffman Boots
The 9mm felt is just going to be the warmer of the 2 boots. Felt will retain heat much better than thinsulate. The biggest difference is when a person is less active and more stationary. This is where the Mountaineer boot comes in handy. If you are a person who is more active while hunting, the Guide boot is a great choice.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm heading back to North Dakota on Friday morning for more coyote hunting. You know my Hoffman Pacs, and an extra liner will be with me!

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm heading back to North Dakota on Friday morning for more coyote hunting. You know my Hoffman Pacs, and an extra liner will be with me!
Hi Justin

I was just in South Dakota last week doing some deer hunting. That is just a different type of cold with the wind and temperatures in single digits. I too had our Mountaineer pacs on and I was sure glad I did. Other than my hands getting cold, I stayed very comfortable when glassing for several hours. Good luck Justin and travel safe.
Jim Hoffman

WyoKid

WKR
Hoffman pac boots are the bomb! I use mine for ice fishing, snowmobiles and cold hunts with 12+ inches of snow and subfreezing temps. My feet stay warm and comfortable. Air bob soles work well.

Dented

WKR
Mountain pacs changed my entire north Idaho trip last week. I can't thank them enough for sewing up a pair for me while I waited. 😁

GerGa

FNG
How is the toe area in this boot? I need boots with a wide toe box. Also wondering how the flexibility is while walking.
I currently wear Steger Mukluks for ice fishing & time in the woods, but their construction & materials making them so flexible & comfortable also give them a narrow usage range, as they are not a durable boot like a pac boot.
Not looking to replace my Mukluks, but really could use a winter boot for when I need the durability. I have trouble with heavy duty hiking boots lack of cushioning & flexibility hurting the bottom of my feet, hence my questions.
Thank you

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
How is the toe area in this boot? I need boots with a wide toe box. Also wondering how the flexibility is while walking.
I currently wear Steger Mukluks for ice fishing & time in the woods, but their construction & materials making them so flexible & comfortable also give them a narrow usage range, as they are not a durable boot like a pac boot.
Not looking to replace my Mukluks, but really could use a winter boot for when I need the durability. I have trouble with heavy duty hiking boots lack of cushioning & flexibility hurting the bottom of my feet, hence my questions.
Thank you
I think they are on the wide side for sure.

prm

WKR
Have only had a short cold spell to wear these, but they seem quite warm. Just what I wanted. I wear either 8.5 or 9 in other boots (42euro) and I went with the 9 in these. At first I thought I should have gone with 8. They are rather large boots. But once I tried various sock combinations I now believe these are just right. With a thin liner sock only my feet swim around a bit. Adding a lighter wool sock like an Injinji they feel good, or with a liner and heavy wool sock they start to snug up. A liner and lighter wool sock will be what I likely use to ensure maximum breathability for my sweaty feet.

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Really considering these boots, but hoping for an opinion on their application for what I need.
I'm looking for a 'tweener' - I have boots for September/October Elk, Mulies, etc. Early season hikers. I have boots for really cold weather in October/November for Whitetails in -20 (Celsius) and colder. What I want is a boot for Whitetails or Elk/Mulies in temps from +10 to -10 Celsius (or around 0 Fahrenheit to 60). A boot that can handle some cold if sitting in a treestand, but still useful as a hiker for Mulies in prairie coulees. My current boots for that purpose never really fit the situation and they are dying. These look to fit that gap - maybe.
My concern is they may be too warm/heavy? But I don't want them too light so they can work well sitting in a frosty treestand in late October. Ordering them and then finding out they don't work for that purpose, or don't fit, is a concern as returning something from Canada is not always easy and can get expensive. Any opinions? Would either of these two work?

WyoKid

WKR
Really considering these boots, but hoping for an opinion on their application for what I need.
I'm looking for a 'tweener' - I have boots for September/October Elk, Mulies, etc. Early season hikers. I have boots for really cold weather in October/November for Whitetails in -20 (Celsius) and colder. What I want is a boot for Whitetails or Elk/Mulies in temps from +10 to -10 Celsius (or around 0 Fahrenheit to 60). A boot that can handle some cold if sitting in a treestand, but still useful as a hiker for Mulies in prairie coulees. My current boots for that purpose never really fit the situation and they are dying. These look to fit that gap - maybe.
My concern is they may be too warm/heavy? But I don't want them too light so they can work well sitting in a frosty treestand in late October. Ordering them and then finding out they don't work for that purpose, or don't fit, is a concern as returning something from Canada is not always easy and can get expensive. Any opinions? Would either of these two work?
These are pac boots so they are heavy and for cold weather. They will work in the temperature range you are thinking. They work well for sitting, ice fishing and still hunting. However, they are not meant for long or difficult hiking as they do not have a stiff sole or shank in them. I do hunt late season Elk and late season mulies using these boots when it is very cold or the snow is deep, or if I plan on sitting for long periods or I am standing on ice. They are great boots and IMHO the best pac boots I have worn but they are not meant as a mountain hunting boot.

Last edited:

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
They might be too big for my use.
Maybe the Thin's or the Outback might be better. Maybe the Felt Voyager. Anyone have experience with any of these?

Last edited:
They might be too big for my use.
Maybe the Thin's or the Outback might be better. Maybe the Felt Voyager. Anyone have experience with any of these?

I just got a pair of the voyager felt pacs, have only gotten them out ice fishing once and around town a little bit so not much of a test yet. Like WyoKid mentioned, they’re still a pac boot so probably not the best for tons of hiking, especially in warmer weather. Based on how warm they kept my feet fishing I don’t think they would be comfortable hiking at 60F.

Beendare

WKR
I've had the Explorer lights for about 5 years now....and these are like putting on an old friend.

FWIW, it was a bit of a shock going from Day hiker light hunting boots to these at first...Yikes, heavier and need a break in. It took me about 30-40 miles to break them in.

But then-WOW.....awesome boots.

Once you get used to a heavier boot its no big deal. My feet feel better in these on all day hikes especially if there is a bunch of off trail stuff- thats where these excel. My feet would hurt on some of those rough trips with lighter boots...never with the Hoffmans. I would have gone through 3 sets of light hikers in the time I've owned these.

Hoffman customer for life here....

@Hoffman Boots make a slide on for chores and around camp. I’d be in them all winter at home.
Huh, look at that. They did!

Just got a pair of Outbacks in. Might have to re-size and went looking for some other sizing input. Ordered one size up as instructed for the Outbacks (thinsulate liners) but have way too much room in the footbox to hike with them. Even with thick socks and an extra ankle sock. Already emailed their CS.

Anyone else have sizing experience with the thinsulate Hoffman pacs?