Hoffman Mountaineer Pac Boot Review **Updated 1/30/22**

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders, I just picked up my first pair of Pac Boots this week. I decided to go with Hoffman Mountaineers. I'm taking them with me on my Colorado deer hunt next week and then plan to use them for some winter predator hunting I have planned.

My feet are size 9 1/2 and I ordered size 9 per their direction. The boots seem to have plenty of room, even with thick winter socks. They are obviously bulky and heavy compared to my hunting boots but that's okay if they keep me comfortable longer while glassing in the cold. I'll post updates here as I use them so let me know if you have any questions.

**Update 1/30/22** Hoffman Mounaineer Pac Boot Review

20211102_132915.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
Your going to love them, only issue i have is when walking through boulder fields you feel each rock on your feet but that just goes with the style of boot and not a knock to the Hoffman’s. I can hike miles without issue in them. Keep us updated on your thoughts.

While not needed I still always wear gaiters with mine.

Justin, I’ve been eyeing these for awhile and think it’s finally time.
did they come with the tongue protector? Did you get an extra set of felt liners?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin, I’ve been eyeing these for awhile and think it’s finally time.
did they come with the tongue protector? Did you get an extra set of felt liners?
They did come with the tongue protectors. I only ordered one set of the felt liners for now. If I use them a lot and need to dry them out each night, I'll add another set.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The weather was really warm in Colorado so no testing yet. I am planning a week of predator hunting with my brother in North Dakota in January though so that should be a good test. I might get some testing before that as well so stay tuned.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I had long range steel matches the last two Saturdays and the Hoffman Pacs were awesome! Temps were in the low to mid thirties and my feet stayed really warm all day. Not extreme temperatures by any means but normally I wouldn't have been nearly as comfortable.

IMG_20211218_212210_282.jpg

Did you get straight air bobs? I got 5 caulks put in the arch for those nasty lodgepole sliders in the jungles. They are abought the last to make caulked boots. I have a couple pair. They are a lifesaver on steep frozen hillsides and heavy downfall timber. They also grip rocks really well. You only have to be careful in wet snow where they tend to ball up.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Did you get straight air bobs? I got 5 caulks put in the arch for those nasty lodgepole sliders in the jungles. They are abought the last to make caulked boots. I have a couple pair. They are a lifesaver on steep frozen hillsides and heavy downfall timber. They also grip rocks really well. You only have to be careful in wet snow where they tend to ball up.

What do the "caulks" look like? I just went with the standard soles from Hoffmans as shown in their stock photo below.

0000381_double-insulated-hoffman-mountaineer.jpeg

Same boot but the bottom is covered with golf cleats. They have a number of soles with scattered golf cleats that could be of interest.

In their display the center boot is a caulked boot (corks). In the 70s I got tired of falling down on 2" of snow on bear grass with a 40 degree slope. In heavy downfall you will never standup in that stuff without caulked boots.

They are heavier but safer in tough terrains.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Same boot but the bottom is covered with golf cleats. They have a number of soles with scattered golf cleats that could be of interest.

In their display the center boot is a caulked boot (corks). In the 70s I got tired of falling down on 2" of snow on bear grass with a 40 degree slope. In heavy downfall you will never standup in that stuff without caulked boots.

They are heavier but safer in tough terrains.

Gotcha! I thought you may have been talking about corks but I hadn't heard the term caulked before.

I didn't plan to use these on extreme terrain so I figured the regular soles would be good. That could turn out to be a miss on my part but we'll see. I'll report how they worked for me when I return from ND in a few weeks.

I talked about 'corks' a while back and the young guy said they are really good on hip boots for walking on rocks. It left me confused so I try to be more precise.

I think you will really like those boots in Nodak.

peterk123

WKR
I have been putting the Hoffman double insulated Guides through its paces lately. Ice fishing in zero degree temps. I only have the 200 gram thinsulates in them. With a liner sock and medium weight wool sock my feet never got cold. And I am standing directly on the snow/ice; no padding between boot and ground. Love that I can stick my foot in the hole to clear out the ice and never have to worry about soaking through. They are decent to walk in for a bulky and heavy boot. Getting better over time as they mold to my ankles. Soles appear to have plenty of grip.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Quick update on my Hoffman Pacs.

I just finished up a 24 hour coyote hunt in North Dakota where the temps were close to 0° or less most of our hunt and winds averaged 20 mph. I had my pacs on for over 30 hours straight from the time we left until we got back. My feet were comfortable the whole time. I can't say that about my hands, and face.

We walked through all kinds of terrain from tilled fields to steep, and snowy clay river bottoms. I didn't keep track of the mileage but we easily covered several miles throughout the hunt.

20220108_084343.jpg

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I’m running the Hoffman guide pac. Love them! Wear them every single day all winter long. Best pacs I’ve ever used
That's good to hear! like I mentioned, I have only used mine for the week of predator hunting and about five other days so far but they still look like new.