Hoffman Pac Boots - When do you use your Pacs? Win a free pair!!

TFrank

WKR
Shoveling the driveway, sitting in a stand and ice fishing for the winter. They get a lot of use this time of year.

Loonman19

FNG
Indeed! Took them out snowshoeing today. All around good experience even with breaking the boots in. Didn't have any more tightness in the toes wearing a mid weight sock. The liners take some finagling to get in to place, but I'm sure that'll get easier once they shape to the boots more.

They don't quite have the locked in feeling of a good hiking boots (no surprise there!), but they are very stable under foot and give plenty of support.
How did the boots do tracking? I've been thinking about adding a set of pac boots to my gear for the cold days but every time I cross a deep stream I'm glad I have my knee high rubbers on.

peterk123

WKR
Been putting my new pair to the test. 12 degrees the other day while ice fishing. I am using the 200 gram thinsulates. Liner sock and a heavier wool sock. I was plenty warm. I like them because they go on nice and tight, unlike rubber boots. Not as good as a pair of hunting boots, but a pretty darn good fit.

BigWoods

WKR
How did the boots do tracking? I've been thinking about adding a set of pac boots to my gear for the cold days but every time I cross a deep stream I'm glad I have my knee high rubbers on.
The boots were absolute amazing for deer tracking this season!

Once they broke in more (since getting them a year ago) they lock my feet in and provide good support. With good merino socks I didn't get any blisters even after doing a few 14 mile days with loads of elevation. The Claw Lug sole gives incredible traction both up and down snow covered hills...gives a whole new level of confidence over my previous Alpha Burly's (which were good in their own right).

As for water tightness, they do really well. I've done dozens of shallow stream crossings (6" or less) and never had water come in through that. Make sure to use some Obenhaufs or similar dressing (I believe the stuff Hoffman sells is Obenhaufs, only at a better price). One day after about 6 hours of moving, the leather saturated through from melting snow, but that was around 35deg with fresh snow coming down all day. I hadn't dressed the boots in the few months prior to that, so they were overdue. A fresh coat of protectant had my feet happy and dry the next day I went out. Even on that day where to leather got wet, my feet stayed comfortable enough; though a bit damp. In comparisson, I found with the rubber/neoprene boots that I would just sweat them out from the inside with the same end result. Well-dressed however, the pacs gave warm and dry feet.

Another thing to consider is just how tough-wearing these things are. After a year with lots of hunting and daily winter hikes with the dog, the leather is pristine. The pro series rubber bottoms have a few scuffs but that's it. The soles are super grippy but hard wearing (2 lugs broke off when I was fatbiking with metal-pinned pedals, but that's well out of the intended use!).

Cheers!

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The boots were absolute amazing for deer tracking this season!

Once they broke in more (since getting them a year ago) they lock my feet in and provide good support. With good merino socks I didn't get any blisters even after doing a few 14 mile days with loads of elevation. The Claw Lug sole gives incredible traction both up and down snow covered hills...gives a whole new level of confidence over my previous Alpha Burly's (which were good in their own right).

As for water tightness, they do really well. I did several shallow stream crossings (6" or less) and never had water come in through that. Make sure to use some Obenhaufs or similar dressing (I believe the stuff Hoffman sells is Obenhaufs, only at a better price). One day after about 6 hours of moving, the leather saturated through from melting snow, but that was around 35deg with fresh snow coming down all day. I hadn't dressed the boots in the few months prior to that, so they were overdue. A fresh coat of protectant had my feet happy and dry the next day I went out. Even on that day where to leather got wet, my feet stayed comfortable enough; though a bit damp. In comparisson, I found with the rubber/neoprene boots that I would just sweat them out from the inside with the same end result. Well-dressed however, the pacs gave warm and dry feet.

Another thing to consider is just how tough-wearing these things are. After a year with lots of hunting and daily winter hikes with the dog, the leather is pristine. The pro series rubber bottoms have a few scuffs but that's it. The soles are super grippy but hard wearing (2 lugs broke off when I was fatbiking with metal-pinned pedals, but that's well out of the intended use!).

Cheers!
Thanks BigWoods, was hoping you'd chime in on that one