Hoffman Pac Boots - When do you use your Pacs? Win a free pair!!

HoffmanBoots

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
There has been a lot of discussion on pac boots. There are some good pac boots manufactures to choose from including Hoffman's and Schnees, who manufacture their pacs in the United States, and Kenetrek. One question that is often asked is what is a pac boot? In simple terms, a pac boot is a boot that features a rubber shell or foot portion combined with a leather upper. The uppers are normally available in different heights depending on the manufacture. There are also different types of liners available for insulation purposes and even additional insulation that has been added into some of the rubber bottoms that are available.
The biggest question I am often asked is about keeping a person warm. What is the best boot for certain scenarios that a person may find themselves in. I have put together a quick comparison explaining the differences in liners.

Thinsulate 200 or 400 gram liners: All 3 of these companies use a combination of thinsulate/wool and Cambrelle style liners. These liners work great for individuals that are active with limited still time. To me, this type of liner is good when temperatures are in the 20's and above and when a person is primarily active. One thing to note is that everybody's tolerance for cold is different. I have heard from people say that their feet get cold in a thinsulate lined pac when it is 30 degrees and on the flip side, many are fine in these temperatures and below. This is always the toughest question to answer when a person is asking how warm will they be. Overall, I like the thinsulate pacs because they are a little less bulky than the thicker 9mm felt lined pac and typically provide a bit snugger fit. If a person is active and not in extreme colds, these boots are a popular choice. We also have a boot like the Hoffman Guide that has added insulation in the rubber of the foot and an additional felt insole added that provide a little extra warmth.

Felt Lined Pacs: Pacs that feature a 9mm felt liner are deigned to keep you warmer than traditional thinsulate style liners. One thing felt liners will do is retain heat better when a person is not moving. I often recommend these types of boots to guys that are tree stand hunting, ice fishing or ATV riding in cold conditions. When my boys were younger and started hunting with me, I quickly realized how noisy they are. I ended up spending more time in a tree stand and wearing felt pacs. They were great for the extra warmth. Felt pacs are a little more bulky but when warmth is a priority, they typically do the job. Again for extra warmth, a boot like our Hoffman Mountaineer not only has a 9mm felt liner but also additional insulation in the rubber of the boot.

Hoffman's have been building pacs in Idaho since 1973. Depending on the use of your boots, we have several pacs to choose from. Our hunting pacs like the Guide, Mountaineer and Cowboy pacs are a favorite for many hunters. For those looking for the most durable pac on the market, take a look at our pro series bottoms. Every Hoffman pac is still built with 7-7 1/2 ounce oil tanned leather, rebuildable for years of service and are made right here in Kellogg, Idaho.

Now a quick question for you Roksliders - when do you wear your pacs and what type of weather do you typically change from your leather boots to your pac boots? Hoffman's will be reading your replies and select one lucky winner to choose between a pair of our Guide or Mountaineer pacs.
You can enter up to 12/15/19.

0000381_double-insulated-hoffman-mountaineer.jpeg

Michael54

WKR
I usually switch to my mucks when there is any decent amount of snow accumulation or sitting in my deer stand during rifle season. I use them also for late season small game and flintlock muzzleloader for deer. Downside is if there is any significant amount of walking my hunts get shortened. They are great for sitting in a stand all day, not so much on all day walks.

Poser

WKR
I have a pair of 400g, low top pac boots that are my primary footwear anytime there is snow in town or I’m in the mountains during winter months. Granted, this is just as much casual wear for work, around town etc. My Schnees have a Velcro closure which makes them easy for getting on and off when going in and out of houses as well as for changing in and out of snowboard boots in the parking lot of a ski area or at a trailhead. I do a lot of walking around town as well commuting to work, gym, bars etc on a fat bike every day of the winter including powder days and somewhat regular sub zero temps. Pac boots work great for that. I’d go so far to say that a pair of pac boots are an item of necessity for any person that lives anykind of active lifestyle in a Western “mountain town.” I certainly go for stretches of weeks where it’s the only footwear I’ll step out the front door wearing because no other footwear option would makes sense: digging the truck out of 14 inches of fresh snow, shoveling the driveway, stepping into ankle deep slush puddles off the curb, negotiating icy staircases.

All That said, I don’t believe that I have ever hunted in a pair of pac boots.

Big Ern

WKR
I pull on the pacs any time there is a couple inches of snow on the ground; any time there is heavy rain and mud; or when the temps drop into the 20’s. Hiking all day in my pacs isn’t a problem as long as I’m not doing a bunch of sidehilling.

Heck, i look for any excuse to bust out the pacs. They are my lucky boots and have never failed or let me down when the weather gets nasty.

Love me some pacs!

Lawnboi

WKR
Here in northern WI. My leather boots go away somewhere mid October and don’t come back out till spring. I’m in my pacs fall and winter. Start out sitting in a tree stand with them then move on to spending a lot of time ice fishing in pac boots as well.

Out west it needs to be real cold, like 10 or below, or I need to be mainly sitting to choose pac boots. I always bring them with just in case.

Your pac boots are on my short list for replacements to my current, which are starting to show cracks in the rubber after 2 years.

With the cold blast this year, I think you will sell a lot of pacs to guys wishing they had them.

Gonewest

WKR
I just started looking at pac boots. I’ve always worn muck boots for stand hunting. I would use pac boots for stand hunting and probably late November rifle in Montana. I do love my 8” Explorers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfs82

WKR
Sitting the edges of fields for fowl or turkey. Whenever I have to do work outside (yardwork, farmwork) with some decent amount of mud or snow. I'll wear them winter fishing long as Im not wading.

I'm in Colorado but grew up on a farm/ranch in NW Nebraska where we still go back for a lot of hunting. Generally snow and/or daytime temperatures in the 20s and lower bring out my packs. This is typically November NE deer season, 4th season CO elk, NE muzzleloader season - and of course ice fishing! Actually for ice fishing I'm considering getting a felt pack for some extra non-active warmth!

Werty

WKR
I switch to pac boots when temperatures drop in the single digit. I wear them for work, ice fishing and events that are outside, where I'll be standing around.

I've been a pac boot guy since my dad bought me a pair of Sorel pacs back in 1969. I've never been without some type of pac since then. I've owned both types described above, and find they have different applications for me. But the reality of this is that I wear pacs to keep my feet warm and dry when temperatures plummet....and by that I mean well below freezing. Felt-lined pacs typically go on my feet somewhere around 20F and colder. I tend toward cold feet and know there is no substitute for insulation which traps air and retains heat. Wool felt gets it done, just as it has for many decades.

I wear my pacs for treestand whitetails in cold weather. I also rely on them when ice-fishing or engaging in other mid-winter activities of a more sedentary nature....say predator calling in snow. I will add that I always consider the outsole and traction component of a pac boot. Excellent grip is a huge plus when walking uphill in snow, or on ice while wearing pacs. Stability is a major plus when carrying a backpack, pulling a sled or dragging a deer.

And now it's time to head for the stand!

mike464

FNG
I wear my 20yo Schnees pacs once we get about 6 inches of snow and wear them till the end of February, unless I'm on snowshoes. Mine have been resoled a couple times, I think their older boots are better than the new ones.

Woodsboss

FNG
I've been wearing winter pacs for the last twenty plus years. I started wearing them primarily lion hunting throughout the winter months. The added confidence in the rubber bottoms to keep feet dry in wet snowy conditions was always welcome, needless to say the thinsulate liner was a blessing. Nowadays I find as soon as the snow starts to fly in November they come in handy still hunting whitetails and for late season muzzy elk hunts. Anytime there are cold temps and snow I'm going to through on the winter pacs. In all transparency, I run a pair of Hoffman Outback, if you're doing any kind of hiking in steep country the ankle loc strap is a must.

jasboj

FNG
I used to think packs were only for wet/snow or muddy cold conditions but i started utilizing them whenever its low 30's or less even when bone dry. They will just flat out keep your feet warm. I bought the lineman steel tow felt pacs for work but plan on using them in the stand as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I use pacs whenever temps go below 20 degrees for work, in layout pop-up blinds for goose hunting and around 0 degree big game mountain hunts. Thanks for the opportunity for a sweet boot!

wytx

WKR
I put on my old Lacrosse Trappers when it gets snowy and below about 20 degrees. They have served me well for elk hunting and finding that special Christmas tree up in the Snowy Range. I would love to have an upgrade to some Hoffman's.

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
When it comes to pac boots I generally put away my Meindel leather boots and switch to pacs towards the end of October here in the mountains of Wyoming while hunting elk. The pacs tend to stay on my feet while I’m I’ve fishing, coyote hunting and running a small trapline until the weather warms up in the spring. Personally I’ve always preferred a pac boot over a heavily insulated boot.

ShakeDown

WKR
I do not currently own a pair of Pacs, but I can tell you that when we got 3” of snow and single digits this year in CO in October I decided I needed a system upgrade for those conditions.

I switch boots for a few scenarios. Anytime it’s in the 20s or below and I will be less active like riding a horse or short hike then glassing. Also switch when the snow gets deep enough with a little base and it’s COLD in the 20s or below. My feet will be warm in single digits with normal non insulated boots when I’m moving but I might have a few minutes when I stop. The issue I’ve had with pack boots is a little lack of ankle support and lack of arch support combined with the rubber foot part not conforming to my wide foot and pressing on the side of my pinky toe joint. Traction also hasn’t been great depending on the sole but never had Hoffman’s and the sole picture above looks to provide good traction.