Hoffman Pac Boots - When do you use your Pacs? Win a free pair!!

WyoKid

WKR
I have some of Hoffman Mountaineers that I bought in 2016. After having my feet freeze (my boots were literally ice blocks as the end of the day) during a late season Wyoming Elk hunt, and seeing my hunting partner break out some pac boots from Schnees, I decided to research them before I threw down $$$. Settled on Hoffman Mountaineers with a felt liner after sending an email about my style of hunting and my foot size and requirements for a warm and stiff soled boot - still hunting dark timber with extra wide flat feet. I like the fact that it is a small US company and the prices were reasonable when compared to Schnees or Kennetrek.

The pacs now come out with either 6" of snow or temps 30 or below during most of the day. This means, ice fishing, late season hunting anything (elk, deer rabbits, coyotes, bison)
and snowmobiling. They are heavy and my feet stay warm (except when I am sitting for a long period but probably due to lack of blood circulation). Rubber stays supple and the claw lug is exceptionally grippy on ice and packed snow. I prefer a stiffer sole and should have gone with a lineman with dual shanks as I am often side hilling. I just finished cleaning them and sealing the leather with Sno-seal and they still look new.

Attachments

• IMG_20191112_170906.jpg
    IMG_20191112_170906.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 69
Just bought a pair of Hoffman pack boots. Now I have a pair to wear when the time is right. They will most likely get the nod on my sons late season cow hunt in a couple weeks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I still have my original pair of Sorel Caribou Pacs from the early 80's that were made in Canada. I always used them on rifle elk and deer hunts when there was heavy snow and/or temps got down to the single digits or below. I bow hunt now, so the only time I use them is when we get 10+ inches of snow at home.......which is almost never these days.

lak2004

WKR
Usually first snow or ice, the pac boots come out. All my other boots have soles that are slick, but the pac boots are great. My feet usually run hot, so it is a battle of foot comfort.

Stalker69

WKR
I have never heard of Hoffman Boots, look good though. I wear pack boots any time I need my feet to stay absolutely dry, and warm. Work, hunt, fish, taking grands sledding, Problem with most of them is they are so heavy and I feel clumsy sometimes. I have been looking at some of the Cabela’s brand Pac boots, as they look less bulky. But I am going to the Hoffman sight right now.
Edit. Those do look nice, and I like the extra height available. But don’t know as if I could afford them.

Last edited:

PNWGATOR

WKR
Just used my pacs chasing muleys in some wicked Idaho terrain. Had to make the choice and due to the potential for wet and cold conditions, I chose my pacs over conventional boots.EAF5861B-2F47-42FD-84EB-5587EA54FAE0.jpeg

0uTkAsT

FNG
I bought a pair of Sorels specifically for a subzero, snowy hunt in Northern NM in 2012 and have only worn them a handful of times since because I don't typically encounter much snow or icy ground, but I almost always pack them with me just in case such conditions do present themselves. They aren't uncomfortable, but they are heavy and warmer than what I usually need.

Ulfhedinn

FNG
If there is snow on the ground, considerably rainy conditions, or temps below 20. Looking to put a set of Hoffman Pro-Series Pacs through it paces this winter.

Thanks for the opportunity to win a pair.

Last edited:

Dunky

WKR
Classified Approved
I will switch from leather hunting boots to pacs around 15 deg with snow for hunting. Usually active with short stops. Have been using a pair of schnees I’ve had for years with thinsulate liners. I will also wear them off season snowshoeing etc. made a big mistake this year and left the pacs home for opening week and the temps hit -10. Wished I had them

jolemons

WKR
I wear pacs during low mobility hunts and chores in subfreezing weather or near freezing wet weather; i.e. horseback riding, splitting wood, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

R-K

FNG
I don't currently own a pair of pac boots- I've been using goretex hiking boots and gaiters since I moved to Montana last year. The flaws in these were exposed in last week's mule deer hunt, as the boots are no longer waterproof, and my toes got a bit cold in the melting snow.

I've been considering getting a pair of pacs, especially now that I'm settling in and learning all the things to do in the winter here. But I would probably go with the 200g, and pair them with toe warmers and heavy socks if it gets super cold or I wasn't moving much. Upland birds, spot & stalk deer, ice fishing, and snowshoeing would be my primary uses for them.

chuckhanisch

Lil-Rokslider
I like to wear pacs anytime there is snow on the ground. The rubber bottoms just seem to keep my feet warmer and drier in those conditions compared to an all leather boot.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I wear my normal boots at work to 30f, if I'm in the mountains the threshold goes down to around 0f. I use 400gram hikers and when the weather gets bad I use only flet liners in my packs.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I put on my Hoffman pacs when I'm going to be in the snow most the day, or the temp is going to be below freezing. I like the thinsulate liner since it makes the pac fit more like full leather hunting boot. I've had felt lined sorels before and they are warm but pretty clunky. I like my pacs more than bog style boots for the same reason. Pacs support my foot better and have much better traction.

Can someone tell me just how cold these Pac boots would be good for? I am looking for something more comfortable than Bunny Boots to use this winter (and many to come) while Ice Fishing, Snow Machining and other outdoor activities. Are these a viable option for say -10F and lower?

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I use them off and on all winter. Certainly any time There’s slush on the ground.

south man

FNG
I get cold feet easily. When temps get below 25 I use Pac boots or have to end my hunts early. I am searching for a new Pac for this cold winter!