Hoffman Pac Boots - When do you use your Pacs? Win a free pair!!

LineandBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I wear my hoffman pacs when I'm hunting/hiking through any more than a couple inches of snow, or still hunting in freezing or near freezing temperatures (stand or blind), also when I have to do line work in a snow storm... Which isn't all too often now that I'm in so cal!

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to my packs when the sole of my Muck boot fell off and I had to finish working that day in a neoprene sock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I first started wearing Pac boots in my 20's while working in the oil field. Back then the only pair I could find where the Sorell Caribou boots. They worked fine with a pair of gaitors. Now I am looking for a better pair and am kinda wondering about the difference between yours and the Kennetreks? I would love to hear your input.

litewings

FNG
If the snow's on the ground, the pacs are on my feet. I've had the same Sorel pacs for 35 years and it's about time for replacement. Wish they still made them as good.

GLB

WKR
I need a new pair of pac boots. How is the fit on the Hoffman’s? I wear a 9.5 shoe and usually get 9s in a boot like that.

Whisky

WKR
I need a new pair of pac boots. How is the fit on the Hoffman’s? I wear a 9.5 shoe and usually get 9s in a boot like that.

I tried to call them yesterday (multiple times) as I wanted to get an order in while the 10% off is active. They must have been closed. I am debating between the Guides and Mountaineer and also the height, and wanted their input. At least for those two models, on their site they do have some sizing suggestions.
Guides - half to full size larger IF using a heavier sock
Mountaineer- whole size order same, half size order down.

Reactions: GLB

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
There has been a lot of discussion on pac boots. There are some good pac boots manufactures to choose from including Hoffman's and Schnees, who manufacture their pacs in the United States, and Kenetrek. One question that is often asked is what is a pac boot? In simple terms, a pac boot is a boot that features a rubber shell or foot portion combined with a leather upper. The uppers are normally available in different heights depending on the manufacture. There are also different types of liners available for insulation purposes and even additional insulation that has been added into some of the rubber bottoms that are available.
The biggest question I am often asked is about keeping a person warm. What is the best boot for certain scenarios that a person may find themselves in. I have put together a quick comparison explaining the differences in liners.

Thinsulate 200 or 400 gram liners: All 3 of these companies use a combination of thinsulate/wool and Cambrelle style liners. These liners work great for individuals that are active with limited still time. To me, this type of liner is good when temperatures are in the 20's and above and when a person is primarily active. One thing to note is that everybody's tolerance for cold is different. I have heard from people say that their feet get cold in a thinsulate lined pac when it is 30 degrees and on the flip side, many are fine in these temperatures and below. This is always the toughest question to answer when a person is asking how warm will they be. Overall, I like the thinsulate pacs because they are a little less bulky than the thicker 9mm felt lined pac and typically provide a bit snugger fit. If a person is active and not in extreme colds, these boots are a popular choice. We also have a boot like the Hoffman Guide that has added insulation in the rubber of the foot and an additional felt insole added that provide a little extra warmth.

Felt Lined Pacs: Pacs that feature a 9mm felt liner are deigned to keep you warmer than traditional thinsulate style liners. One thing felt liners will do is retain heat better when a person is not moving. I often recommend these types of boots to guys that are tree stand hunting, ice fishing or ATV riding in cold conditions. When my boys were younger and started hunting with me, I quickly realized how noisy they are. I ended up spending more time in a tree stand and wearing felt pacs. They were great for the extra warmth. Felt pacs are a little more bulky but when warmth is a priority, they typically do the job. Again for extra warmth, a boot like our Hoffman Mountaineer not only has a 9mm felt liner but also additional insulation in the rubber of the boot.

Hoffman's have been building pacs in Idaho since 1973. Depending on the use of your boots, we have several pacs to choose from. Our hunting pacs like the Guide, Mountaineer and Cowboy pacs are a favorite for many hunters. For those looking for the most durable pac on the market, take a look at our pro series bottoms. Every Hoffman pac is still built with 7-7 1/2 ounce oil tanned leather, rebuildable for years of service and are made right here in Kellogg, Idaho.

Now a quick question for you Roksliders - when do you wear your pacs and what type of weather do you typically change from your leather boots to your pac boots? Hoffman's will be reading your replies and select one lucky winner to choose between a pair of our Guide or Mountaineer pacs.
You can enter up to 12/15/19.

View attachment 132542
I’ll switch to Pac-boots for elk hunting when it’s single digit temps and deep snow.
Removal liners are a must and an Air-Bob sole is a big plus.
I’ve been wearing Pac-boots for over 50 years.

My Pacs come out when the snow starts flying. I use them for general chores around the house when there is snow on the ground. I also use the pacs for late season goose hunting out of my layout blind.

Randle

WKR
I have a couple pair of off brand $100 pac boots I use for chores and plowing around the property. I would love to have a pair of custom ones for late season deer and elk seasons
Thanks for the chance

I wear my “pac” boots (rubber boots that I’ve added felt insole and wear super thick socks with, +\- toe warmers) anytime it’s either colder than 40 and I will be stationary, or if it’s very wet/snowy and I don’t think my regular boots will keep me dry. Would love to have some real pacs to keep the toes warm and dry!

Kobudo

FNG
Pac boots for me under 40 degrees and stationary. Ice fishing all the time. My 20 year old pac's will last me one more year I believe.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
How are pac boots to hike in if you're putting miles on them on different types of terrain? The hiking community seems to shun pac boots.

Last edited:

mcr-85

WKR
I start wearing pacs when I start trapping in the snow and ice fishing. I don't wear them very often in October but usually at some point in November I have them out.

BigWoods

WKR
Living in Northern New England where we start getting copious amounts of snow starting in early November, my lace up leather boots see very little use after October Grouse hunting. For me, its not so much a temperature thing as an uninsulated leather boot and a decent sock will keep my feet warm so long as I'm moving but a matter of my feet getting soaked from the outside. Even a good gore-tex boot doesn't seem to hold water out for long once the leather is permeated.

For deer hunting, the primary mode of hunting around here is snow tracking. Find a big track and follow it to the buck that made it. In November, the skidder-rutted ground isn't yet frozen, so there's lots of ground water with 10"-20" of snow on top of that. The past couple years I've been wearing knee-high rubber/neoprene boots (Lacrosse) for this, but I'm finding the durability and ankle support lacking for 10-15 mile days roaming our mountains (my feet are aching from yesterday's 16 miles!). For cold deer stand sits I've worn 7mm neoprene Bogs, but they're not much for walking in.

Just this past week a friend and local forester (who spends his days out in the woods and puts boots through their paces for a living) showed me his pair of Hoffman Pac boots and highly recommended them. They look to be the perfect blend of keeping warmth in, outside water out while providing ample support for long days moving.
IMG_20191202_151521.jpg

Pn8hall

WKR
I have yet to find the right Pac Boot for me. I have a wicked case of plantar fasciitis and cant seem to find a pair that my feet like. I need to use a custom orthotic insole and they just dont work in Pac Boots or at least the ones I have tried. Although not a true pacboot I can tolerate Muck boots with minimal walking while deer hunting but most likely because I can use my insole with them. I have a newer pair of Sorel Caribou's that dont agree with my feet at all and I also have a pair of Lacrosse Iceman's that are OK but cant use them for any length of time. I have been researching Pacs for the last month or so and keep coming back to the Hoffmans. Maybe they are my answer.

Rokwiia

WKR
It sure would be nice to be able to try on a pair of the Hoffman pacs before buying. I don't like the business model where I buy and get shipped two or three pair of boots hoping one with be comfortable. That leaves me with the unenviable task of returning several boxes.

I'll buy a shirt online but footwear is too finicky for me as everyone's foot is different. I can go into a bricks and mortar store and try on a number of trail runners only to find few that I could live with.

When INOV-8 first started, I drove three hours so I could try on their trail runners. To my delight that fit my feet well and I bought three different models.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I don't currently own a pair of pac's, but am considering investing in a good pair. I would get a ton of use out of them for both work and hunting.

Hunting:
For late season elk hunting here in Alberta they would be perfect, as it can get bitter cold. Case in point: last week I went elk hunting for one day dark-to-dark and it was -30C most of the day. I ran my Kennetrek uninsulated mountain extremes with gaiters, and even while hiking it was extremely difficult to keep my feet warm. Couldn't sit and glass for very long at all, which is where a good pair of pac's would have been perfect.

Work:
I patrol powerlines all winter long, both on foot and on an ATV. I currently use Dunlop rubber boots, but they are brutal anytime the temps drop below 0C, and it's too easy to get snow in them. Especially while on the quad. I have been planning on purchasing a good pair of pac's as I would use them every single day during the winter. It would be wonderful to have warm and dry feet at the end of the day. If I don't win a pair, I'll likely be buying a pair!