Hoffman Pac Boots - When do you use your Pacs? Win a free pair!!

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, I wish I would have seen the 15% discount on the pac boots I just ordered. Awesome boots though and great customer service.

tdhanses

WKR
Dang, I wish I would have seen the 15% discount on the pac boots I just ordered. Awesome boots though and great customer service.

I actually found it googling for a discount, I ordered almost 2 weeks ago, because of this thread I decided to give them a try, I had a feeling I wouldn’t win I guess. Give them a call, I bet they’ll work it out, the customer service has been great.

I had them add the outback straps to my guides and they hooked me up for a small fee due to being a Rokslide member and our discount. I also some how added extra liners that were shorter then the boots, they called and cleared that up. So far I’m impressed and look forward to testing them out this winter.

Shraggs

WKR
There has been a lot of discussion on pac boots. There are some good pac boots manufactures to choose from including Hoffman's and Schnees, who manufacture their pacs in the United States, and Kenetrek. One question that is often asked is what is a pac boot? In simple terms, a pac boot is a boot that features a rubber shell or foot portion combined with a leather upper. The uppers are normally available in different heights depending on the manufacture. There are also different types of liners available for insulation purposes and even additional insulation that has been added into some of the rubber bottoms that are available.
The biggest question I am often asked is about keeping a person warm. What is the best boot for certain scenarios that a person may find themselves in. I have put together a quick comparison explaining the differences in liners.

Thinsulate 200 or 400 gram liners: All 3 of these companies use a combination of thinsulate/wool and Cambrelle style liners. These liners work great for individuals that are active with limited still time. To me, this type of liner is good when temperatures are in the 20's and above and when a person is primarily active. One thing to note is that everybody's tolerance for cold is different. I have heard from people say that their feet get cold in a thinsulate lined pac when it is 30 degrees and on the flip side, many are fine in these temperatures and below. This is always the toughest question to answer when a person is asking how warm will they be. Overall, I like the thinsulate pacs because they are a little less bulky than the thicker 9mm felt lined pac and typically provide a bit snugger fit. If a person is active and not in extreme colds, these boots are a popular choice. We also have a boot like the Hoffman Guide that has added insulation in the rubber of the foot and an additional felt insole added that provide a little extra warmth.

Felt Lined Pacs: Pacs that feature a 9mm felt liner are deigned to keep you warmer than traditional thinsulate style liners. One thing felt liners will do is retain heat better when a person is not moving. I often recommend these types of boots to guys that are tree stand hunting, ice fishing or ATV riding in cold conditions. When my boys were younger and started hunting with me, I quickly realized how noisy they are. I ended up spending more time in a tree stand and wearing felt pacs. They were great for the extra warmth. Felt pacs are a little more bulky but when warmth is a priority, they typically do the job. Again for extra warmth, a boot like our Hoffman Mountaineer not only has a 9mm felt liner but also additional insulation in the rubber of the boot.

Hoffman's have been building pacs in Idaho since 1973. Depending on the use of your boots, we have several pacs to choose from. Our hunting pacs like the Guide, Mountaineer and Cowboy pacs are a favorite for many hunters. For those looking for the most durable pac on the market, take a look at our pro series bottoms. Every Hoffman pac is still built with 7-7 1/2 ounce oil tanned leather, rebuildable for years of service and are made right here in Kellogg, Idaho.

Now a quick question for you Roksliders - when do you wear your pacs and what type of weather do you typically change from your leather boots to your pac boots? Hoffman's will be reading your replies and select one lucky winner to choose between a pair of our Guide or Mountaineer pacs.
You can enter up to 12/15/19.

View attachment 132542

I have been using pack boots for nearly 50 years in my home state of Michigan and other Midwest states for typical whitetail stand hunting and non hunting winter activities. With over 200” annually pac boots are a way of life here but they are not the best solution for all activities, for me, and why I have not used them for late season elk hunting in the mountains or locally for winter coyote hunting.

As you outlined moderate thinsulate for active pursuits and heavy wool for less active or still activities. The former for me is bettered by a traditional hiking boot with 1000 grams or more of thinsulate due to its better foot support and traction. Both require a some level of activity to stay warm. The latter heavily insulated can suffer from moisture eroding insulating power even in still activities depending on the person’s perspiration. For those that don’t have sweaty feet or not hard core cold weather pursuits, maybe not an issue and any number of pacs will work.

So for me,

The biggest challenge is needing a heavily insulated boot but activity level will be very high then sedentary. A great example is a mile walk into a tree stand in a foot of snow and 8*, then sit for a few hours. Of course there are strategies we all develop for this, wear light boots carry in the pacs, wear cotton socks on the way in to absorb moisture keeping from felt then change socks at stand, an ancient but goodie is to use bread bags over socks to prevent sweat wetting out felt.

I couldn’t begin to count the different brands of pacs I’ve used. Some good some not. Currently run a couple of discontinued lacrosse, the extreme pft for hunting as I describe - good boot excellent support and warm - if I don’t wet it out, but so very heavy. Or their ground breaking design the snow king, very warm boot if I’m truly only going to be stationary ice fishing or snowmobiling, but difficult to even walk in.

Oddly one of the best designs for a true range of comfort in cold or colder and active to not active is the military vapor barrier technology, is the beta made bunny or Mickey Mouse boots. The insulation will never get wet, change your socks. The boots walk real well, but slip and slide on snow and ice, and not tree stand friendly due to size, etc. The only other boot I’ve seen the comes close to truly isolating the insulation from outside and inside sweat is the lacrosse burly 1200 gram (not alpha burly), there is a rubber inner boot and insulation is between - at least my 10+ year olds are. Not quite a vapor barrier because the top is open. I also have the all of the alpha burlys including the 1600 gram, which initially is warmer then the 1200 gram burly but after a few hours of winter steelhead fishing (a little less than moderate activity) the 1200 gram better warms foot over long haul. Moisture management of the insulation is the key to me.

To me or maybe for me, the answer lies in better moisture isolation from insulation and a pac boot that can do that and still vent (maybe not wick), and support for mountain terrain!, will have solved a problem of cold feet in pac boots from every forum out there.

I too have been looking very hard and favorable to your boot after trying some others “mountain pacs” I don’t think will work for me. As I want to do more late season rifle elk hunting.

Kotaman

WKR
I ordered a pair of the DI Mountains to try largely because of this thread. Had it not been for this thread, I would’ve ordered another pair of Schnees. Looking forward to giving these a go. Also ordered a pair of the Mountain Explorer 400’s.

tdhanses

WKR
Ok so it’s been officially 3 weeks since I ordered, now I’m sure the holidays will add a little time but hopefully I should have mine to test out soon. Now it just needs to get cold and snow!! Of course when I ordered we had snow and single digit temps, now no snow and 50’s.

tdhanses

WKR
Mine just arrived 10mins ago!

Initial impressions, quality construction! These are well built, they fit amazing, my foot does not feel loose. I went with the guide boots and added the outback straps for ankle support.

I wear a 9.5 in most boots and these in a 10 feel great right out of the box walking around the house. They are heavy but don’t feel bulky, if that makes sense.

18959B28-066E-4FD0-A249-12032D9C01BE.jpeg

Last edited:

BigWoods

WKR
Mine just arrived 10mins ago!

Initial impressions, quality construction! These are well built, they fit amazing, my foot does not feel loose. I went with the guide boots and added the outback straps for ankle support.

I wear a 9.5 in most boots and these in a 10 feel great right out of the box walking around the house. They are heavy but don’t feel bulky, if that makes sense.

View attachment 147739
Look good!
Eagerly waiting for mine to show. 4 weeks and counting; looks like this threat garnered up some orders to fill!

BigWoods

WKR
What model of Hoffman pac boots did your friend/forester have?
Just saw this now skimming back through the thread; he's got the Thinsulite Pro Series...which I have on order. Look to be a good match for long days of moving I the snow.

BigWoods

WKR
My Thinsulite Pros came in yesterday. Very solidly made. Took a bit to lace up for the first time and my first time wearing a proper PAC boot since my Sorels as a kid so I'm still feeling them out. That said they walk comfortably around the house. These are size 14.
IMG_20200131_193301.jpg

Now I'm just figuring out if I needed a slightly bigger boot, or if the liners meet to mold to my foot (do they?). My big toe is has some space from the front, but feels a bit tight in there for some reason.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My Thinsulite Pros came in yesterday. Very solidly made. Took a bit to lace up for the first time and my first time wearing a proper PAC boot since my Sorels as a kid so I'm still feeling them out. That said they walk comfortably around the house. These are size 14.
View attachment 150981

Now I'm just figuring out if I needed a slightly bigger boot, or if the liners meet to mold to my foot (do they?). My big toe is has some space from the front, but feels a bit tight in there for some reason.

Hmmmm not sure the thinsulate is gonna compress much. Better give them a call. Tight means cold feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWoods

WKR
Hmmmm not sure the thinsulate is gonna compress much. Better give them a call. Tight means cold feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the input! The whole point of these is warm feet on cold deer hunts (mostly moving) so I'd sure like to be able to fit a thick sock in there with room for my toes to wiggle. I'll give them a call on Monday. Hopefully we can find another model that will work out as the thinsulite pro series 'only' seem to go up 14. That said, I really like the way they fit my feet otherwise.