Hoffman Pac Boots - When do you use your Pacs? Win a free pair!!

tdhanses

WKR
Appreciate the input! The whole point of these is warm feet on cold deer hunts (mostly moving) so I'd sure like to be able to fit a thick sock in there with room for my toes to wiggle. I'll give them a call on Monday. Hopefully we can find another model that will work out as the thinsulite pro series 'only' seem to go up 14. That said, I really like the way they fit my feet otherwise.

I bet it’s hard to find good fitting boots! You have 4” of foot on me! I wonder if it isn’t a width issue, the guides may fit better. From about my arch back it isn’t tight but isn’t loose but my toes have freedom.

BigWoods

WKR
I bet it’s hard to find good fitting boots! You have 4” of foot on me! I wonder if it isn’t a width issue, the guides may fit better. From about my arch back it isn’t tight but isn’t loose but my toes have freedom.
Yes, it can be! Not sure if my foot is particularly wide (might be?), but its low-volume....on many boots I run out of cinch room. The Hoffman's gave me plenty of cinch room though. My right big toe is getting significant pressure on the outside corner.

My only concern with the double insulated Guides is that they might get a bit warm for active days tracking deer (sometimes 12-15 miles worth) when its around 30deg out. I might ask Hoffman about the Felt Voyager also.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciate the input! The whole point of these is warm feet on cold deer hunts (mostly moving) so I'd sure like to be able to fit a thick sock in there with room for my toes to wiggle. I'll give them a call on Monday. Hopefully we can find another model that will work out as the thinsulite pro series 'only' seem to go up 14. That said, I really like the way they fit my feet otherwise.
let us know, and I could be wrong about compression, but I thought you could only count on that in the felt, not Thinsulate.

BigWoods

WKR
let us know, and I could be wrong about compression, but I thought you could only count on that in the felt, not Thinsulate.
Well I called Hoffman up. They're willing to exchange me for a size 15 liner to try but she encouraged me to make sure I get the liner all the way up in the toe. I was seating the heel of the liner which was leaving a bit of a gap between liner and rubber. Now I've got the liner heel sitting a bit forward (1/4") but filling the toe. So far, this seems to have been the trick, even allowing my thick boot socks to fit decently.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well I called Hoffman up. They're willing to exchange me for a size 15 liner to try but she encouraged me to make sure I get the liner all the way up in the toe. I was seating the heel of the liner which was leaving a bit of a gap between liner and rubber. Now I've got the liner heel sitting a bit forward (1/4") but filling the toe. So far, this seems to have been the trick, even allowing my thick boot socks to fit decently.
OK great, so are you gonna roll with that then?

BigWoods

WKR
OK great, so are you gonna roll with that then?
Indeed! Took them out snowshoeing today. All around good experience even with breaking the boots in. Didn't have any more tightness in the toes wearing a mid weight sock. The liners take some finagling to get in to place, but I'm sure that'll get easier once they shape to the boots more.

They don't quite have the locked in feeling of a good hiking boots (no surprise there!), but they are very stable under foot and give plenty of support.

Last edited:

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, I've been rocking my Hoffman's since late last year. Haven't really got to put them to a full test as a planned hunt has been bumped to due to scheduling conflicts beyond my control. But, I have worn them out training the dog in the cold and wet, and while working in the snow during the last storm we had.

Mine are the Double Insulated Mountaineer.

I wear a size 9.5 and went with a Hoffman size 9. While they certainly don't have the foot hugging wrap of a hiking boot, they laces really allow you tighten them for a good fit. They are certainly warm! Really appreciate the fit and overall construction of these.

On a side note, I work in the Telecom industry and several guys in my crew are running Hoffmans. They have the work designed ones that have the special soles for climbing poles. Their boots take a beating! The more experienced guy on the crew has had his for several years and as the newer guys see how they perform and hold up they all seem to be ordering their own pair! : )

BuckHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I have been cruising timber for roughly 15 years across washington idaho and western montana. Switched from Whites Pacs to Hoffmans around 2010 and never looked back. They are durable, warm and dry. I estimate I wear them between 70 and 90 days a year. I put them on with the first heavy permanent snow really wear nothing else until the south faces start to melt off. Someone mentioned they are great for sitting but not so much for hiking- I disagree. They are heavy and take a bit to get used to, but once you find your pace they are excellent for hiking.

I just retired an old pair after nearly 7 years. New pair is below, its a cowboy toe which Ive not had before so we will see. After 3 days of wearing them I am happy so far. They are a bit lighterScreenshot_20200205-163529_Gallery.jpg than my old pair.

Last edited:

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a pair of the Hoffman cowboy pacs for about 5 years now. They're the taller 14" style. Have been worn a lot and are still in great shape. I like the pointed toe for climbing snowy hills. Have recommended Hoffman pacs to several people. The prices are great for a American made product.

I have owned at least 6 pairs of the Hoffman pac boots they are great winter boots. All mine have been cork soles. I where them 5 days a week for work from around the end of October to April I usually get about 2 seasons out of them sometime more sometime less. They are heavy for hiking but you get used to it if you wear them daily. One thing that I don’t like about them is when you take the liner out it is a pain to get them back in the boot and you have to mess with them to make them right so I try not to separate them unless absolutely needed. I don’t use these very often for hunting usually no snow at that time for the most part. I will say that cork boots are awesome for steep brushy bad ground and imo worth the money

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
There has been a lot of discussion on pac boots. There are some good pac boots manufactures to choose from including Hoffman's and Schnees, who manufacture their pacs in the United States, and Kenetrek. One question that is often asked is what is a pac boot? In simple terms, a pac boot is a boot that features a rubber shell or foot portion combined with a leather upper. The uppers are normally available in different heights depending on the manufacture. There are also different types of liners available for insulation purposes and even additional insulation that has been added into some of the rubber bottoms that are available.
The biggest question I am often asked is about keeping a person warm. What is the best boot for certain scenarios that a person may find themselves in. I have put together a quick comparison explaining the differences in liners.

Thinsulate 200 or 400 gram liners: All 3 of these companies use a combination of thinsulate/wool and Cambrelle style liners. These liners work great for individuals that are active with limited still time. To me, this type of liner is good when temperatures are in the 20's and above and when a person is primarily active. One thing to note is that everybody's tolerance for cold is different. I have heard from people say that their feet get cold in a thinsulate lined pac when it is 30 degrees and on the flip side, many are fine in these temperatures and below. This is always the toughest question to answer when a person is asking how warm will they be. Overall, I like the thinsulate pacs because they are a little less bulky than the thicker 9mm felt lined pac and typically provide a bit snugger fit. If a person is active and not in extreme colds, these boots are a popular choice. We also have a boot like the Hoffman Guide that has added insulation in the rubber of the foot and an additional felt insole added that provide a little extra warmth.

Felt Lined Pacs: Pacs that feature a 9mm felt liner are deigned to keep you warmer than traditional thinsulate style liners. One thing felt liners will do is retain heat better when a person is not moving. I often recommend these types of boots to guys that are tree stand hunting, ice fishing or ATV riding in cold conditions. When my boys were younger and started hunting with me, I quickly realized how noisy they are. I ended up spending more time in a tree stand and wearing felt pacs. They were great for the extra warmth. Felt pacs are a little more bulky but when warmth is a priority, they typically do the job. Again for extra warmth, a boot like our Hoffman Mountaineer not only has a 9mm felt liner but also additional insulation in the rubber of the boot.

Hoffman's have been building pacs in Idaho since 1973. Depending on the use of your boots, we have several pacs to choose from. Our hunting pacs like the Guide, Mountaineer and Cowboy pacs are a favorite for many hunters. For those looking for the most durable pac on the market, take a look at our pro series bottoms. Every Hoffman pac is still built with 7-7 1/2 ounce oil tanned leather, rebuildable for years of service and are made right here in Kellogg, Idaho.

Now a quick question for you Roksliders - when do you wear your pacs and what type of weather do you typically change from your leather boots to your pac boots? Hoffman's will be reading your replies and select one lucky winner to choose between a pair of our Guide or Mountaineer pacs.
You can enter up to 12/15/19.

View attachment 132542
I just don't understand the hype at all. Maybe I just got a bad pair. I bought a pair of Sorrells for work one winter at a shipyard in NW Washington. They were less comfortable than rubber boots in almost every way. The soles wete too thin and they weren't warm at all. They also fell apart in about 3 months and the soles wore through. Terrible terrible boots. I would have to come across a free pair somehow before I ever tried pack boots again. Leather boots work most of the time and rubbers work the rest of the time.

BigWoods

WKR
I just don't understand the hype at all. Maybe I just got a bad pair. I bought a pair of Sorrells for work one winter at a shipyard in NW Washington. They were less comfortable than rubber boots in almost every way. The soles wete too thin and they weren't warm at all. They also fell apart in about 3 months and the soles wore through. Terrible terrible boots. I would have to come across a free pair somehow before I ever tried pack boots again. Leather boots work most of the time and rubbers work the rest of the time.
I don't think it's a fare comparison between cheaper Sorrels and the US made hand crafted pac boots. I've done 13 mile days in the mountains with dry and happy feet afterwards in my Hoffman's.

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think it's a fare comparison between cheaper Sorrels and the US made hand crafted pac boots. I've done 13 mile days in the mountains with dry and happy feet afterwards in my Hoffman's.
This must be the case. My Sorrels were like 200 bucks, but I hear ya. Everyone I talk to says they love their Hoffmans and Schnees etc. The sorrels were just so bad that I haven't tried the style again. They can't all be that bad or they wouldn't exist.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
This must be the case. My Sorrels were like 200 bucks, but I hear ya. Everyone I talk to says they love their Hoffmans and Schnees etc. The sorrels were just so bad that I haven't tried the style again. They can't all be that bad or they wouldn't exist.
Thank you for the note explaining the quality difference. Sorrels used to be good when they were made in Canada years ago but now imported from China I believe. Just not a good comparison at all.

peterk123

WKR
After years of wearing cheap winter "pacs" and insulated rubber muc boots, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Hoffman Guides. I am done mistreating my feet. I cannot wait for them to show up. Maybe by the time they actually get here I will need them. Way to warm out still....uggh.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
After years of wearing cheap winter "pacs" and insulated rubber muc boots, I pulled the trigger on a pair of Hoffman Guides. I am done mistreating my feet. I cannot wait for them to show up. Maybe by the time they actually get here I will need them. Way to warm out still....uggh.
let us know!

peterk123

WKR
Okay, I am downright giddy. The pacs arrive tomorrow. Man I hope they fit. I might have to stay home from work tomorrow to wait for the delivery guy :)

peterk123

WKR
Boots arrived today. Well, they are beautiful. I am a size ten in shoes and a ten and a half in my hiking boots. But I sized up per the recommendation of Hoffman. They fit very well, especially once I inserted my superfeets in there. I have narrow heels so I am not completely locked in there but it is pretty darned good for boots with a big rubber bottom. I only went with the 200 gram thinsulate inserts for now. Sitting around the house my feet were cooking. Feeling confident I walked outside to get the mail. I survived the 300 foot round trip hike without any blisters :) Kidding aside, they are very comfortable to walk in and lighter than I imagined. Thoroughly enjoy the boots. One little thing I noticed that is really nice. The lacing hooks hold you laces nice and snug so you do not have to worry about losing tension while lacing it up. Will put it to the test this weekend when we go ice fishing. Going to fit them with some small crampons.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, big difference between something like a Sorrel and a quality pac like the Hoffman's. I was going back and forth between Kennetrek and Hoffman when the opportunity to do the review came in. Between that and the fact that they are here in ID, and Hoffman it was. A few of the lineman in my crews wear them as well. I can testify to their durability as those guys are hard workers. My favorite Hoffman feature is warm feet.. I hate cold feet.. And, no blisters.. that is pretty slick as well.. : )