Hoffman Pac Boots

peterk123

WKR
Hi guys,

I am about to pull the trigger on the Hoffman's but I want to narrow down which boot. Need your wisdom. I am a bit hesitant to go with the felt insert for a couple of reasons. First, is heat. My feet run fairly warm. I am tempted to go with the felt because it could be nice for ice fishing and hanging from a tree. But if I am standing while ice fishing, I rarely have cold issues. Tree, well that can get to me after a while when it is cold, but I can always go with an overboot of sorts, I think. Second, I bet the thinsulate version will be a lighter and better fit. More suitable for longer hikes. I will be living in Montana in a year, so this may be used for hunting later in the season.

So, if I go with the thinsulate version, will the 400 gram insert work in the same boot that comes with the 200 gram insert? Or will I run into a sizing issue (is 400 thicker than 200?)? It would make the decision easy if I can use two different weights in the same boot.

Thx

Pete

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
if you want a decent fit, i can't see how you can have 2 different weight liners. why don't you call hoffmans and ask?
I sent them a note. Just looking for input from folks that may have tried both liners. I found some older posts where people had both.

I went w the thinsulate version because the thinsulate liners last much longer than the felt liners. My feet have never been cold in them.

I just bought my second pair and was deciding which liner to run and ended up going with felt again because they are supposed to be the warmest. I definitely don’t find them over warm and in a tree stand, immobile I’d probably be cold.

OP
peterk123

peterk123

WKR
I decided to order the thinsulate model. I was able to dig up some older threads where people were running the 200 and 400 gram inserts in their same boot. I will start with the 200 gram insert and see how my feet fare. I have used my 400 gram rubber boots in 18 degree weather in a tree. I would be lying if I told you I stayed warm. But it was not totally unbearable. And there is no way my rubber boots have 400 grams of thinsulate in them. All I can feel in there is thin neoprene (Cabelas). Plus the Hoffmans have felt in the sole, and I think that is where most of my heat loss comes from in the rubber boots.

I am really looking forward to getting them. I have some felt "pac boots", but they are the cheapo 30 dollar boots. It will be nice to have a legit boot for once. Next purchase are some real backcountry hunting boots. I am eyeballing the Schnees Beartooth.

IronM

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all the reviews on this site I received my Hoffman felt lined pac boots last month. Have been wearing them around outside around my house to break them in a little. I wear a size 11 shoe and that is what I ordered. Feel great. I got them in record time (less than a week--must have had a pair made up already). My LaCrosse Icemans soles are pretty much gone, so was happy to replace them with an American company and support a family business.