Hog Hunt First timer

Smid

WKR
Guessing this would be the best section to post this in.
So after doing a ton of research, I think a guided hog hunt would be good for my first ever hunt. Most of the year seasons and quantity is the biggest appeal for me. With that being said, I'm overwhelmed with the amount of available options. Looking for some recommendations on any of the following:

Location - I'm in Ohio and will most likely drive somewhere but Texas, Oklahoma, Even Florida/Louisiana? Not particular, just really looking a good guide for a literal first time hunter

Gear: Obviously would be slightly season dependent on clothing, but what else should I expect to plan for or something that may not be so obvious to bring?

Gun: I have a bunch of handguns but not sure on what caliber/rifle I'd need. Anything I get probably won't be Ohio legal for deer if I ever decided to do that. I see quite a few don't allow 5.56/300 blackout. Bolt action or ar 308 platform maybe? I know 6.5 creedmore is getting popular but don't know really what to go with.

Any input appreciated, Thanks!

wytx

WKR
Lots of great places to hunt hogs. You will find HF options that are mainly put and take type hunts but some will have resident hog populations behind that fence. Hogs are smart and very wary so I find low fence hunting more of a challenge. They are certainly no gimme on a free range type hunt.
A 223 will take hogs but I prefer a larger caliber just for the knock down power on non head shots.
I enjoy hunting them with lever action rifles and pistols when I can but my every day rifle is my go to for hogs, 300wsm. I have a 41 mag pistol and lever action as well as a 44 mag in both that go every spring to hog hunt, my 10mm Colt has also taken hogs.
A big hog is stout and can take some lead, their hair and body fat can make blood trailing iffy.

You would not go wrong with a hog hunt outside of Texas but the hunting laws there on hogs are very liberal, no license required on private land and you can hunt them day or night with almost any method.
Find a place with a real hog problem and the fees will be less and limits high. Places that charge a trophy fee are probably put and take but not always.
Look into the Texas Hunting Forum outfitters section for a few places.
They are fun and challenging to hunt and the meat is great on medium sized and smaller hogs, boars included. Big sows will also have lots of great pork.
Spring is a great time to hunt them, temps are still cool and they are active during the day for the most part. Night time hunting should not be too cold and you avoid pests like chiggers and mosquitoes.

jmez

WKR
Look at the new 350 Legend, I believe that is legal for deer in Ohio and would be good on hogs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Lots of great places to hunt hogs. You will find HF options that are mainly put and take type hunts but some will have resident hog populations behind that fence. Hogs are smart and very wary so I find low fence hunting more of a challenge. They are certainly no gimme on a free range type hunt.
A 223 will take hogs but I prefer a larger caliber just for the knock down power on non head shots.
I enjoy hunting them with lever action rifles and pistols when I can but my every day rifle is my go to for hogs, 300wsm. I have a 41 mag pistol and lever action as well as a 44 mag in both that go every spring to hog hunt, my 10mm Colt has also taken hogs.
A big hog is stout and can take some lead, their hair and body fat can make blood trailing iffy.

You would not go wrong with a hog hunt outside of Texas but the hunting laws there on hogs are very liberal, no license required on private land and you can hunt them day or night with almost any method.
Find a place with a real hog problem and the fees will be less and limits high. Places that charge a trophy fee are probably put and take but not always.
Look into the Texas Hunting Forum outfitters section for a few places.
They are fun and challenging to hunt and the meat is great on medium sized and smaller hogs, boars included. Big sows will also have lots of great pork.
Spring is a great time to hunt them, temps are still cool and they are active during the day for the most part. Night time hunting should not be too cold and you avoid pests like chiggers and mosquitoes.

Awesome, thank you. I found a place in Georgia that I’m going to try out. They have the whole setup ready to go, so it should be the perfect opportunity to try then see what I like/don’t like and go from there

Been looking into this a little as well, not so much looking for a guide, but finding those high hog density areas that are having problems and then trying to getnon some lands in those areas.

Working on a trip now to Mississippi probably.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Been looking into this a little as well, not so much looking for a guide, but finding those high hog density areas that are having problems and then trying to getnon some lands in those areas.

Working on a trip now to Mississippi probably.

I found a place in Georgia I think we’re going to try. $500 a night, he provides guns/ammo/thermal and all the hogs you can shoot. You go around local farms to find them. They also guarantee a shot opportunity for the night or they’ll take you out again for gas cost. Didn’t think it was too bad since I don’t have to really buy anything. A good way to see if I like it before I invest heavily

Sounds like a good deal. Hopefully he has a few different set ups for you to see and get an idea of what you like as qell as you just learning if you like thermal or not.

Would guess he has scanners and scopes to play with.

When you going?

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Sounds like a good deal. Hopefully he has a few different set ups for you to see and get an idea of what you like as qell as you just learning if you like thermal or not.

Would guess he has scanners and scopes to play with.

When you going?

I’m hoping I don’t like the thermal because I know it’s going to get expensive quick lol. I think we’re going early February. If it were up to me I’d burn up my four PTO days I have left sometime in December but my buddy can’t go that quick. I talked to the owner getting an idea on dates and the hunting license and he seemed super cool about me being a first timer. Can’t wait

Sounds good, looks like i may go down early jan, should be a good time.

I have already been sucked into the thermal game, seeing one or two at the range and already playing with some night vision and spotlighting in the past, thermals i think will be stacking the numbers on my side more now.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Sounds good, looks like i may go down early jan, should be a good time.

I have already been sucked into the thermal game, seeing one or two at the range and already playing with some night vision and spotlighting in the past, thermals i think will be stacking the numbers on my side more now.

That’s why I’ve been scared to check them out lol, I know I’d want it.

Good Luck, make sure to post some pics and let us know how the trip goes!

wytx

WKR
You can do just fine with a handheld thermal and a gun mounted light. They are fun and not cheap for good ones. It's amazing what you can get close to with a 250 yd light for spotting.
The small led flashlights have worked well for us last several years, red led for us but some swear by green for hogs.

You're going to enjoy the hog hunt, good luck.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Checkout Red River Valley outfitters out of Quanah Texas. Evan is an awesome guide. They’ll hook you up with their ARs equipped with thermals and they’ll put you on some hogs. Such a great time!

I’ll take a look. Have the trip to Georgia coming up on the 7th but already planning the next one lol. Thanks!

wytx

WKR
There is a place in Ft Worth , Tx where you can rent thermals to try out. They will ship to you.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
There is a place in Ft Worth , Tx where you can rent thermals to try out. They will ship to you.
I’ve seen somewhere advertised on ar15 forums, might be the same place. Would definitely be a better option than buying since it’s maybe once a year thing for me. Finding the right place it use it is the tough part. All the public areas don’t seem to allow night hunting but I haven’t dug too deep into that yet

Look at the new 350 Legend, I believe that is legal for deer in Ohio and would be good on hogs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I would agree with this.

And folks, DIY hog hunts in Texas are not hard at all. Every National Forest in East Texas (there are four of them) have abundant feral hog populations. Find a large creek bottom and go at it. If it takes you more than a day to find fresh hog sign, take two weeks off from hunting, and then quit.

If you're a fisherman and want to double-up, there are places on the Texas coast where you can kill pigs in the wee hours, and catch redfish, speckled trout and flounder the rest of the day.

But the NF hog hunting is a no-brainer. These days, I get sick of seeing pigs while I'm deer hunting on public land in Texas. No guides necessary.

kevlar88

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree with this.

And folks, DIY hog hunts in Texas are not hard at all. Every National Forest in East Texas (there are four of them) have abundant feral hog populations. Find a large creek bottom and go at it. If it takes you more than a day to find fresh hog sign, take two weeks off from hunting, and then quit.

If you're a fisherman and want to double-up, there are places on the Texas coast where you can kill pigs in the wee hours, and catch redfish, speckled trout and flounder the rest of the day.

But the NF hog hunting is a no-brainer. These days, I get sick of seeing pigs while I'm deer hunting on public land in Texas. No guides necessary.

I grew up hunting and fishing on the gulf coast of Texas. It is laughable, for you and I, to think that someone would pay money to hunt pigs. My brother, father and I would go out in the evening and shoot 2 pigs each before the sun even set. We would take what meat we wanted, a few backstraps or a ham for the smoker, and the rest would go into the gator pond. This was not the best day we ever had, just par for the course. I move back to Texas (from Germany) later this year and can't wait to get back at them.

To the original poster, if you find yourself on the gulf coast , do not forget your deep woods OFF SPORTSMANS (98% deet), a thermacell, and a bug mask.

Jjonasck

FNG
I've done alot of guide hog hunts over the last 10 years. Thinking I might try the NF in Texas next
Thanks for the info fellas.