Hog Hunt First timer

Tpeterson18

Banned
Classified Approved
You might could kill one here in North Houston just driving to your hunting destination. I've shot close to 10 or so hogs with a .223 that have never taken a step.

Nice work on those pigs. Looks like y'all were running Pulsar Thermions?

Hog hunting is fun. Hog hunting at night with a thermal is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I like to find big fields which will usually hold wheat and scan for hogs. Many times there will be 50+ out in a field. Get downwind and walk to within 50 yards of them with a full magazine and open up. Talk about a rush.

We also like to corn roads and then come back to them from the downwind side. Scan with the thermal and when you see a hog do a stalk with the shooting stick.

There is a lot of walking so I use a lightweight LaRue .223. With a full magazine, thermal and suppressor it gets heavy quick. For shots we aim for the ear hole.

I have a AR10 6.5CM that I used for a while because I wanted more gun for the pigs but dang that rifle was waaaay to heavy to scan with the thermal while stalking.

I'd stay away from the .300 BLK with subsonic ammo. Its cool because its quiet but those subs are worth a darn on a pig in a hunting situation.

OP
Smid

Smid

WKR
Nice work on those pigs. Looks like y'all were running Pulsar Thermions?

Hog hunting is fun. Hog hunting at night with a thermal is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I like to find big fields which will usually hold wheat and scan for hogs. Many times there will be 50+ out in a field. Get downwind and walk to within 50 yards of them with a full magazine and open up. Talk about a rush.

We also like to corn roads and then come back to them from the downwind side. Scan with the thermal and when you see a hog do a stalk with the shooting stick.

There is a lot of walking so I use a lightweight LaRue .223. With a full magazine, thermal and suppressor it gets heavy quick. For shots we aim for the ear hole.

I have a AR10 6.5CM that I used for a while because I wanted more gun for the pigs but dang that rifle was waaaay to heavy to scan with the thermal while stalking.

I'd stay away from the .300 BLK with subsonic ammo. Its cool because its quiet but those subs are worth a darn on a pig in a hunting situation.

Yeah they provided the pulsars, it was definitely a really nice scope. Ar’s were chambered in 5.45x39 and seemed to do a good job. I see what you mean about a light weigh rifle. We were shooting off the bog deathgrip tripods, which weren’t super heavy at 7 pounds but after you carry it over your head for 300 yards it feels like 75 lol.

After hunting I realized I’d love to buy a thermal, but too much investment to sit 95% of the year. I’m still money ahead to go with a guide and use their equipment since we don’t have hogs up here.