Hog Hunting Ammo

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Let me start by apologizing if this is not the right place for this question. Please feel free to point me in the right direction and I will re-post somewhere else. That said, I did do a quick search and didn’t find a whole lot of solid information on this.

I am lucky enough to be going on a hog hunt in Texas this week. A buddy told me to bring along my 7 MM Remington magnum to hunt with. I figured it’s a good idea to get warmed up for the upcoming deer and elk season! I was only able to find federal fusion 175 grain ammo where I am. I’ve never been hog hunting but I understand they can be pretty stout creatures. Am I OK using a soft point on on them? Or should I be looking at using a mono like Barnes TTSX?

He has some feeders set up for close hunting during the night time but during the day we will probably hunt out to 200 - 250 yards.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

- RadDad

wytx

WKR
Go get'em, you're good.

What part of Texas?

By the way boars are ok for eating too, you'll know when you walk up on one if it's not good.
Shoot the sow with piglets farthest from the edge of the field first then lay down another sow and the piglets will go back to momma for follow ups.
If you leave a boar lay, slit the hide along the back so the predators can do their job too.

Rich M

WKR
Any bullet will work. Nothing fancy needed.

Pigs aren't as tough as folks make em out to be. Same for bears and just about anything else. Just shoot em right.

I use a 223 with a 55gr Barnes TTSX. Your 7mm Rem Mag will do the job just fine with any factory load. If I were using a 7mm Rem Mag, I’d just load whatever pointy bullet I had on the shelf and call it good.

Chevoke

FNG
Ive killed more with a 300 blackout (110 grain barnes) and 223s that with any other gun. I live in central Texas. Even at 200ish yards you are way good to go.

The Barnes TTSX is a dang fine bullet IMO. I shoot them with a .223 and my wife shoots them in .243. Both do excellent. Your 7mm will do just fine. If you shoot the in the ear hole or neck there is no tracking required. That's what we do.

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the help! The 7MM was indeed plenty (and then some) for the situation. Now on to elk season.

- RadDad

We just earhole all the hogs or headshot them, any bullet will work and there's no tracking involved. I did watch through binoculars as my my father snuck up on and shot a monster boar behind the shoulder with his 7 mag and it turned and charged him he dodged and it ran off. He wanted the skull on that one so didn't go for the head shot. We saw him again two weeks later with a big boil behind the shoulder, armor plate stopped it cold, he wasn't even limping. I don't know what ammo he was using way back then but he liked Federal Premium as a brand and likely we're soft points.

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
We just earhole all the hogs or headshot them, any bullet will work and there's no tracking involved. I did watch through binoculars as my my father snuck up on and shot a monster boar behind the shoulder with his 7 mag and it turned and charged him he dodged and it ran off. He wanted the skull on that one so didn't go for the head shot. We saw him again two weeks later with a big boil behind the shoulder, armor plate stopped it cold, he wasn't even limping. I don't know what ammo he was using way back then but he liked Federal Premium as a brand and likely we're soft points.
The one I shot with the 7MM went down not far from where I hit it. I did also have the opportunity to get a shot right behind the ear on one ~200lbs with a .308 about 130yds away. My adrenaline was pumping but a hunting buddy said he heard the crack of the rifle then a heavy thud when it hit. That hog didn’t move an inch after impact.

All in all it was an awesome experience. Already looking forward to my next trip down!

The one I shot with the 7MM went down not far from where I hit it. I did also have the opportunity to get a shot right behind the ear on one ~200lbs with a .308 about 130yds away. My adrenaline was pumping but a hunting buddy said he heard the crack of the rifle then a heavy thud when it hit. That hog didn’t move an inch after impact.

All in all it was an awesome experience. Already looking forward to my next trip down!
I see I replied too late lol. Congrats, now it's time for pulled pork sammiches!

Unckebob

WKR
That's a lot of gun for hogs. You'll be fine. The rancher I know hunts hogs on his property with a suppressed 6,5 Gendel.