Hog hunting with hounds

Hound hunter from wv. Few buddies and I have been looking for somewhere to do some hog hunting. Been looking at wma lands but worry where season is only in for a few weeks. Would have trouble tracking dogs cause of interference. Any advice would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoghead

WKR
I have no experience with your area but I hog hunt with dogs 1-3 times a week. If you want to message me your number I am more than happy to help any way I can.
Or I can answer questions here I just don't check the forum a lot during my work day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
rickyfarrell10
I have no experience with your area but I hog hunt with dogs 1-3 times a week. If you want to message me your number I am more than happy to help any way I can.
Or I can answer questions here I just don't check the forum a lot during my work day.

I tried to msg ya but it won’t let me. I am looking for a spot within reasonable driving distance. Here We just hunt bear. Was wanting to try a few of my mutts out see if they will do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoghead

WKR
What kind of hounds do you run? In my limited hound experience plots seem to make the best hog dogs they have the most bite. I have seen a few walkers do good too. I run catahoulas and some kind of catch dogs. Problem with hounds is they bark on track and if the hogs have been run with dogs before they will leave the country. My dogs wont bark until they are looking at a hog and my catch dogs are fast. If you have access to a hog you can teach a pit or bull dog to go to a bay pretty easy. That kind of dog you teach what not to catch normally.

Hoghead

WKR
The hounds I have hunted with were bear dogs and they took to hogs pretty natural but lace up your boots.

chefcreed

FNG
You may already know but South Carolina has specific times for dog hunting for hogs on WMA’s. Definitely need to read up on specifics on the DNR site. Prepare to get wet.