hogg father sight guard size

sk1

WKR
seriously looking into getting one of these.....but without being able to put one on my bow, how can I predict what size sight guard will match up good with my peep? I like to use a 1/4 size peep and would like it to match up with the sight guard near the end of the dovetail, but would hate to order a large and maybe not be able to get it to match up right, or a small and have to bring it in closer than i want. shooting a vector turbo with 30" DL, 35" ATA, is there anyway to get a good idea on which to choose?

edit: also talked with dr about this, but am running a tightspot quiver so it sounds like i would lose some adjusting ability there...

Last edited:

CaseyU

WKR
I shoot an element with a 1/4 in peep with a 29.5 draw and have the large guard and lines up perfect. Yours will actually line up a little better than mine because of the longer ata lengh (not as steep of an angle on the string).

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i hope you're right and the science is as simple as that! would like to hear a few more thoughts from others as well before i place an order

dr was telling me it's heavy as sin, anyone got the weight on this? currently shooing and mbg ascent slider with dovetail

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shoot an element with a 1/4 in peep with a 29.5 draw and have the large guard and lines up perfect. Yours will actually line up a little better than mine because of the longer ata lengh (not as steep of an angle on the string).

Casey, are you running a hogg father?

CaseyU

WKR
I put one on when i worked at the archery shop. Just a little too heavy for me and because it exteneds farther than a typical sight its easy to adjust it to exactly line up wih the peep

vcb

WKR
Different models here but here is what I have experienced. I'm a 29" draw. Have a real deal with a large ring and it lined up perfectly with my 1/4". New new rig has the tommy with a small ring and that lines up with my 3/16 very nicely. I'm glad I got the smaller ring. I feel like it makes me more accurate and I can have fun with my slider and not worry about contact

Have a 1/4 in peep with the small guard on my tommy Hogg and it fits inside the peep. My previous bow has a 1/4 in peep and the large guard and they more or less overlap. Not really sure which one I prefer, I seem to shoot them both about the same. If I did it again I'd probably go with the large on my new bow just to have a larger sight picture.

OR Archer

WKR
You would definitely need to run a large guard to get it to align properly with a 1/4" peep. I personally run a 3/16" peep with a large guard on my Tommy Hogg and would recommend you trying that size of peep with the Hogg Father. It will align much better if you are wanting to run the dove tail farther out.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sk1 you should also consider that a small guard will allow you to move the sight down further equally further yardage.

Also are you running a single pin, 3, 5 or 7 pins. If 7 you have no choice as it must be the large. The other options you can run the small guard.

This is what I did. I put my sight where I wanted it and put a 3/16" peep in. It wasn't big enough, put a 1/4" in and it was to big. So I drilled out the 3/16" to 7/32" and it was perfect. This should work for you and you could drill out 3/16 to 13/64 to 7/32 to 15/32 and find what is perfect for you.

Just my thoughts....

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Sk1 you should also consider that a small guard will allow you to move the sight down further equally further yardage.

Also are you running a single pin, 3, 5 or 7 pins. If 7 you have no choice as it must be the large. The other options you can run the small guard.

This is what I did. I put my sight where I wanted it and put a 3/16" peep in. It wasn't big enough, put a 1/4" in and it was to big. So I drilled out the 3/16" to 7/32" and it was perfect. This should work for you and you could drill out 3/16 to 13/64 to 7/32 to 15/32 and find what is perfect for you.

Just my thoughts....

Good insight on drilling out a peep if necessary, I never thought about that. I'm looking to run a 5 pin, I thought about going to a 3 pin but I really like having fixed pins to 60.

Can anyone compare this to the mbg ascent slider? That's currently what I shoot

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't compare the other sight as I have never used it. I would go with the smaller housing. It will allow more adjustment and give you more focus with smaller peep.

velvetfvr

WKR
Ascent is nice but the Hogg father is named that way for a reason. I think it is the father of all sights. Builds like a tank, won't budge if bumped. I shoot a single pin one for hunting and shoots. Best sight every. Like the dial on my Hogg father compared to a ascent. If you want you can convert your ascent into a black god Hogg father. My bro has a 6" dovetail ascent with a modified attachment to accommodate a spot Hogg scope. Like a cheaper lighter Hogg father.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Ascent is nice but the Hogg father is named that way for a reason. I think it is the father of all sights. Builds like a tank, won't budge if bumped. I shoot a single pin one for hunting and shoots. Best sight every. Like the dial on my Hogg father compared to a ascent. If you want you can convert your ascent into a black god Hogg father. My bro has a 6" dovetail ascent with a modified attachment to accommodate a spot Hogg scope. Like a cheaper lighter Hogg father.

haha, interesting thought on the modification.

is the hogg father such a tank weight wise i wont want to use it? is it really that much heavier than the ascent? (looks like it) i cant find weights listed anywhere.

starting to get concerned about the weight of my bow, i run a 10" b stinger pro with an 8 oz weight, then you add a hogg father to that, and i was considering running a stabilizer to the rear/side.....ahhhh im gonna have a 12lb bow.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run a Tommy Hogg, b stinger out front with 7 oz and b stinger side bar with 4 oz., 6 arrow quiver on a Hoyt Alpha Max and my bow weighs 7 pounds and balances well.

Don't get caught up in the weight, it isn't noticeable once on your bow at full draw. There are a 1000 other ways to trim weight. Shoot your bow in the best set up for accuracy and practicality.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Rosin - I'm with you on shooting the best setup for accuracy and practicality.....that's exactly the question Im asking though, at what point isn't it practical anymore.....im definitely willing to make sacrifices for the right setup....just heard these are pretty heavy and was starting to wonder if im getting away from being practical for carrying a bow deep into the backcountry. I guess i wont know til i own it, right? haha.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think after you get it put on your bow and set up you will even notice the difference a week later....

CaseyU

WKR
Agreed with rosin the weight disappears at full draw maybe it was in my head i was just trying to go the lightest route i could while still maintaining accuracy i loved the sight. Just not on my current bow. It took about a day and a half before i forgot the weight difference on the sight.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
Yeah weight at full draw I wasn't concerned with, it was more so the total weight of the bow carrying it for miles. I know it won't bother me shooting. Ill find out soon enough should be placing my order monday

velvetfvr

WKR
haha, interesting thought on the modification.

is the hogg father such a tank weight wise i wont want to use it? is it really that much heavier than the ascent? (looks like it) i cant find weights listed anywhere.

starting to get concerned about the weight of my bow, i run a 10" b stinger pro with an 8 oz weight, then you add a hogg father to that, and i was considering running a stabilizer to the rear/side.....ahhhh im gonna have a 12lb bow.

What I have been told is the Hogg father will act like a stabilizer. Hogg is a little on the heavy side but it doesn't bother me. If you were near me I would let you shoot with mine.