Hogs- range, and dispersion over time

Fordguy

WKR
I've lived at my current residence for several years now, and I've never seen a hog or even a track near my place. I saw one dead on the road that had been hit by a vehicle a few years ago, and just the other day I saw a trail cam pic of a dozen hogs that were 10 miles from my place. Since I don't have any real experience with them, I'm wondering how much they move around and how fast they spread to nearby areas. We have crazy numbers of coyotes, hopefully they eat a lot of piglets.

GPS coordinates?

Actually, I hff ave a great research compilation paper on hogscin the U. S., I'll dig it up for you.

Coyotes do eat piglets for sure. Hogs do move around quite a bit. They follow the food and avoid pressure. I have had hogs stay around a feeder for months but what's a lot more common is the "one off" visits when they hit the feeder and just move on, never to be seen again. Hogs can have litters of 8 to 10 three times a year. Some make it, some don't. Hard to say if and when they might infest your ground.

They are where the food is. We have tons of pigs where I live and tons of public land and I’ve never seen one on public. They certainly cross it at some point to get to whatever crop they’re after, but they seem to stick pretty tight to the farms to feed and hole up in the nastiest thickest cover on the edges as possible. In our case it’s the barley fields, vineyards, or orchards, etc…

OP
F

Fordguy

WKR
I have a few acres that I've been turning into orchard, it just started producing fruit last year. Hate to think of what a dozen hogs could do to my trees in a night. I have cages to keep the deer from damaging trees, but nothing that would stand up to hogs. The one I saw that was hit by a truck was big, maybe 250 or so, black, bristly and smelled pretty bad for a very recent roadkill.

Here you go, please see attached: Damn it is to large to process. I can send it to you via email you you PM me your email address. But this is the name if you want to google it:

1640581515658.png
1640581550844.png

I have a few acres that I've been turning into orchard, it just started producing fruit last year. Hate to think of what a dozen hogs could do to my trees in a night. I have cages to keep the deer from damaging trees, but nothing that would stand up to hogs. The one I saw that was hit by a truck was big, maybe 250 or so, black, bristly and smelled pretty bad for a very recent roadkill.
Hopefully your trees get big enough before they figure it out… maybe you’ll at least get some pork out it.