Hoka Kaha GTX Feedback?

tquiet

FNG
Morning all!

Was wondering if anyone had put any miles on the Hoka Kahas? I wear Hokas for my running shoes and love them, but was unsure how they did on their "boot"?

This year, I'm fortunate enough to spend a week hunting grasslands in WY that shouldn't have more than 4-500' elevation changes. I'm thinking they would have enough support for that type of terrain, but again, wanted to seek some first hand feedback if it was available.

Many Thanks!

Ut300

FNG
Wow, surprised no feedback on the hoka boot. I was trying to make up my mind on the boot also. I love the shoes. I will say my brother is already planning on going to CO for a muzzleloader deer hunt wearing this exact boot. Think it might even be the mid. I will say he is 51, has had ankle problems, uses trekkers and he does fine hiking up to about 12,000 feet. I should be getting some crispis in the mail today but still thinking I want a light weight boot.

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Just discovered these a few days ago. Would love feedback as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone4Days

WKR
I have a pair that I will be using for a week long coues hunt near the MX border. I liked my Speedgoat 4’s so much I decided to try the Kaha’s. I will post results in November. So far, they are light, and very comfortable but no field testing yet. I really, really like Hoka footwear

OP
T

tquiet

FNG
I have a pair that I will be using for a week long coues hunt near the MX border. I liked my Speedgoat 4’s so much I decided to try the Kaha’s. I will post results in November. So far, they are light, and very comfortable but no field testing yet. I really, really like Hoka footwear
Thanks!

OP
T

tquiet

FNG
Wow, surprised no feedback on the hoka boot. I was trying to make up my mind on the boot also. I love the shoes. I will say my brother is already planning on going to CO for a muzzleloader deer hunt wearing this exact boot. Think it might even be the mid. I will say he is 51, has had ankle problems, uses trekkers and he does fine hiking up to about 12,000 feet. I should be getting some crispis in the mail today but still thinking I want a light weight boot.
I'm surprised too. Didn't come up with anything overly helpful on old threads or youtube either.

Botay

FNG
Check Google reviews… mixed reviews, mostly from REI. I’ll stick to my Merrell Moabs— anything beyond offers minimal returns.

BBob

WKR
Haven’t tried them but have worn Speedgoat’s a lot and like them. You already know how the Hoka sole feels so that shouldn’t be an issue. I thought this was a decent review and it’s from an experienced older guy so mby a little more level headed and unbiased?

Gone4Days

WKR
Check Google reviews… mixed reviews, mostly from REI. I’ll stick to my Merrell Moabs— anything beyond offers minimal returns.
I have both Moabs and Kaha’s. I like my Merrill’s but the Kaha’s are superior for my feet. Hokas are damn comfortable.

Following. My hoka running shoes have become a favorite. Makes me intrigued by their boots.

Fun note - I was at a junior high kids basketball game one morning this spring and standing With a group of dads - all middle aged ex athletes of a sort - 5 of 6 of us were rolling hoka running shoes. I guess that is some kind of dad bod, tired old knees endorsement.

Botay

FNG
I have both Moabs and Kaha’s. I like my Merrill’s but the Kaha’s are superior for my feet. Hokas are damn comfortable.
Hopefully they hold up in the field. My wife wears them for running and says they’re the best running shoe she’s used. I’m looking forward to your field testing.

OP
T

tquiet

FNG
Haven’t tried them but have worn Speedgoat’s a lot and like them. You already know how the Hoka sole feels so that shouldn’t be an issue. I thought this was a decent review and it’s from an experienced older guy so mby a little more level headed and unbiased?

This a very in-depth review! Thanks for sharing!

BigBerm

FNG
I have a pair of the Hoka Kaha 2 GTX. These replaced Salomon X Ultra 3 as my mid to light boots. I only have about 15 miles on them so far. The Hokas are fantastic. No break in and tremendous cushioning. The only thing that could be improved is a slightly longer tongue. I like these much more than the Salomons.

BBob

WKR
One more comment on Hoka’s. Using them down here in the SW with all the pokey things like the various cactus, ocotillo and such. The soles are soft with almost no protection like a traditional boot with Vibram soles, they are are thick but stuff can poke through them if you aren’t a little mindful of what you might be stepping or jumping over on.

Gone4Days

WKR
225418A5-B7D8-40A3-B84F-7F88FDCD2397.jpeg
So I just returned from a week long coues hunt in southern AZ near the border. Rough country, lots of miles, lots of elevation change. The Hoka's were everything I hoped they would be. Being Hoka's, I knew they would be comfortable, but they even exceeded my expectation.

The good:
COMFORT!
Lightweight
Waterproof
VIbram Outsole
Traction

The not so good:
Durability?
Balance
Price

These boots were a pleasure to lace up every morning. Plenty of room, soft, soft sole with lots of cushion. Really, I did not even notice my footwear on this hunting trip until I was hiking and started thinking about them. Once I started to focus on how they were performing, I realized just how great they felt. I guess not noticing footwear is a good thing and means they are doing their job. So for comfort, they are a 10/10 for my feet. The traction is outstanding. My only concerns about these boots is the durability. The softer midsole may not last more than a few seasons. Because of the maximum cushion, the sole is pretty tall, and may make you feel slightly unstable at times, but I had zero issues with balance. I did not trip or fall one time all week.

If you wear Hoka trail runnres or other types of Hoka's and like them, you need to try the Kaha's for your next hunt. I will be ordering another pair now that they are discounted to keep them on deck when I wear this pair out.
968A18A9-8A36-4E23-BAD3-A4096F652C1F.jpeg

They’re by far my favorite hiking boot to date. I didn’t even need new boots and tried them on and couldn’t believe how comfortable they were and now about 100 miles of hiking later still love them and they’re still comfy. They didn’t need a break in at all.

Only downside I’ve found is with the wide heel I do have to watch where I step a little more I find. If I catch the edge outside of the heel of my foot it’s like a lever and will try to roll my foot at the ankle a little more than a boot with a narrower outsole at the heel. I notice that their impact cushioning when going down steep trails is much better than any other boot I’ve had so I’m sure it’s just a trade off.

I always wore Moab’s because of how comfortable they were for me but I won’t buy another pair after these, it’ll be another pair of Hokas. At 100 miles they’ve also out lasted a lot of my Merrells, I’ve had them start coming apart in 50 miles of hiking. These Hokas show hardly any wear.

the hack

WKR
How do they feel "under load"? I know that they are radically different than a traditional stiff hiking or mountaineering boot.

zaniah

FNG
I just bought a pair of 2GTX's and have put about 15 miles on them so far. I'm blown away! My previous experience with hiking boots is that you suffer for your first 100 miles or so until they break in, and even then you may still need the extra pair of socks, or it's a chore to get them on and off. These fit like a glove right out of the box, and I love the arch support. I have a wide foot, so I usually have to go with a 1/2-size larger, but that was not necessary with these, and I also have bone spurs in my heels, so rubbing in back can get painful fast, but the padding is perfect. I'm in the American SW high desert, where terrain is always sharp, so I was cautious about the lack of a steel shank, but it would take one heck of a spike to impale the 3/4" or so of shoe bottom, and I've not yet encountered anything close. They're not for technical climbing, of course, and I'll see how they fare in summer heat, though the leather and gore-tex both breathe, in theory, so I'm optimistic.

dtrkyman

WKR
I love my Hoka runners but I don’t see that boot lasting very long!

I may still try a pair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk