Hoka one ones

Hoka One Ones

anybody train in these.

I have a friend who runs marathons who swears by them. I saw they make quite a few lightweight trail running and hiking options, both gore Tex and standard. Considering on getting a pair for running as my current Brooks are getting to the end of their span and then if I like them possibly get a lightweight mid top hiking model for hunting on mild days.

any thoughts ?

I'm old and fat and the One Ones are like walking on a cloud. I find they fatigue my shins (tibialis anterior) more than traditional shoes like aisics, but I don't get the foot or knee pain the traditional shoes give me.

jd1006

WKR
I run a lot. Many runners love them. Just make sure you know if you can handle the low drop (most shoes have a higher heel than toe) and Hoka’s have a lower drop than a conventional brand (Nike, Brooks, Adidas, Saucony). If you heal strike a lot, they can be problematic and cause some lower leg pain. I would never get goretex in a shoe unless I was using them primarily to hike. Your feet would just sweat instead of get wet, so either way, wet feet. I have Hoka sandals that I love to hike in and will be bringing as a camp shoe…sadly, they discontinued the model. My theory on Hoka is that they do very well during the shoe-fitting process and feel soft, so people seem to pick them for their running shoes. The best running shoe is found, just like hunting boots, by trial and error. Runningwarehouse lets you return shoes you’ve ran in for refund, so I’d suggest going that route. Take the time to understand if you have a high arch, low arch or normal arch, as that will indicate if you need motion control/support in the shoe you pick (while most shoes are for normal and higher arch people)…that’s a key distinction that isn’t described in the shoe fitting process.

If you walk around in flip flops, should be no problem with low or even no drop shoes. And if not, it is something most people can get used to. Quality of this particular shoe? I have no idea.

jd1006

WKR
Except, I have had achilles pain anytime I try to run in a drop of lower than 8mm. Walking and running are very different biomechanically.

OP
A
Awesome info guys.

I have a low arch but wear hard orthotics. I runnabout 10-15 miles per week. Right now I’m in Brooks Revels which is a lighter shoe and lower drop than the Glycerins I was in. I’ve had injuries in both. Glycerins seem to do better for shin splints , and help offload the heel striking but would get some anterior tib fatigue and got some peroneal tendonitis. The revels I really like but have to be a little careful not to overdo it IJ them or I will get shin splints.

I may try some hokas and if I like might pick up a pair of some of the hiking or midtop trail shoes without goretex

OP
A
I might actually consider the goretex for hunting , would never get in a running shoe for obvious reasons . My current boots are lightweight under armor boots with gortex though so like I willl be best off with just the standard and can wear the others if it’s cold and wet.

wqs thinking something like the speed goat mid

BBob

WKR
Rincon’s and Speedgoat GTX mids here. Switched to them a year or so ago. No issues so far. My knees thank me for them. Rincon’s for daily runs, Speedgoat’s for trail, run and gun shoe.

Super comfy. Bondi 7 are great street shoes.

Stinson ATR 6 is great on trails, traction is amazing, feels like spiderman. But they are NOT for side hilling off trail, your foot sits too high off the ground. Also have the Kaha low gortex hiker and same issue off trail with the high sole. It's just not meant for that. I regret the gortex also, it's too hot.

The soles wear out fairly quickly, they won't last more than a year or two if you put on a lot of miles. Especially on pavement.

Wish they would tone down some of the colors a bit.

OP
A
Super comfy. Bondi 7 are great street shoes.

Stinson ATR 6 is great on trails, traction is amazing, feels like spiderman. But they are NOT for side hilling off trail, your foot sits too high off the ground. Also have the Kaha low gortex hiker and same issue off trail with the high sole. It's just not meant for that. I regret the gortex also, it's too hot.

The soles wear out fairly quickly, they won't last more than a year or two if you put on a lot of miles. Especially on pavement.

Wish they would tone down some of the colors a bit.

so you feel like that mid top hiking shoes/boots they have wouldn’t work for general hunting ?

Ive also eyed the Salomon X Ultra 3s

basically looking for something super light weight that feels like a running shoe but has a vibram sole or something that can hold up to hunting.

so you feel like that mid top hiking shoes/boots they have wouldn’t work for general hunting ?

Ive also eyed the Salomon X Ultra 3s

basically looking for something super light weight that feels like a running shoe but has a vibram sole or something that can hold up to hunting.
I think they are too soft for X-country side hilling etc. For light off trail maybe, you'll get by ok. Not for general off trail use, no.

BBob

WKR
I wear Speedgoat’s everywhere. That’s mostly AZ, NM elk and Coues country, trail or no trail. My Coues pack with big glass is not light. I’ve been wearing lightweight shoes and boots off trail for years so I may be more adjusted to them than others.

OP
A
Might just have to try the speedgoats. As long as they lace tight at the top above the ankle I think I would be alright on my New Mexico hunt. Did a lot of steep side hills on my last Wyoming deer hunt but I don’t suspect this will be as bad.

they would be about 1/3 the weight of what I’m wearing currently .

rm06

WKR
Hoka's have been a game changer for my runs, shaved 30 seconds off my miles and no more pain and fatigue in the ball of my foot. I was skeptical but they have proven to be awesome, I have the Clifton 6 model. My feet are also relatively narrow, low volume and high arch.

Stiff hiking boots, which are my backcountry preference, also produce quite a bit of pain and fatigue in the ball of my foot. I haven't had an opportunity to try out any Hoka trail models, but they're on the list

joelzilla

FNG
Hoka One Ones

anybody train in these.

I have a friend who runs marathons who swears by them. I saw they make quite a few lightweight trail running and hiking options, both gore Tex and standard. Considering on getting a pair for running as my current Brooks are getting to the end of their span and then if I like them possibly get a lightweight mid top hiking model for hunting on mild days.

any thoughts ?
I won a pair of clifton 8 and they are pretty impressive. Light and a lot of cushion. The regular width size was too narrow so I had to get the wide width and size down a half.