Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

ppumil

FNG
A practical question for after AKDOC pointed out he may have trouble getting through I realize I will likely be in the same boat but will try to get through. Is it advisable for all concerned to write in so there documentation of the numbers.

bpietila

FNG
I’m not sure where this fits into the puzzle but Noatak national preserve was established in 1978. Still recently enough that many of the locals that use the area can remember what it was before it was designated national preserve. While I agree with the statement that it is federal land and we all have a right to it since we are US citizens, I can see where that statement can ring hollow to someone who lived and subsisted on that land prior to the park designation. (It probably was still federal land before that, but wasn’t under the national parks management. I think there were growing pains when the national park service came in)

ppumil

FNG
That are was part of Jimmy Carter's presidency to preserve Alaska. They were all federal lands but it put them under NPS. This is from
America's National Park System:
The Critical Documents

Chapter 7:
Transformation and Expansion, 1970-1980

During the same year (1978) President Jimmy Carter addressed the preservation of lands in Alaska, the last great frontier of America and an area under increasing threat of consumptive use. As miners, loggers, and others maneuvered for the opportunities to exploit vast new areas, Carter hearkened back to Theodore Roosevelt in using the Antiquities Act to unilaterally proclaim seventeen huge national monuments (summarized in the Appendix). This was by no means the first time the act had been used as an emergency device for protecting wild lands, but it was certainly its most extensive use. Two years later in the waning days of his presidency, Carter signed the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act of 1980 (see the Appendix). This sweeping legislation more than doubled the size of the national park system, anchoring the earlier monuments and many other lands as new parks, national forests, wildlife refuges, and wild and scenic rivers.

Prior to statehood all of Alaska was basically federal and then the state was allowed 104 million acres to choice for themselves in 1959 is it. !980 is when this area was designated part of NPS. The Noatak is also the longest designated Wild River in Alaska.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well you also have to consider the state vs Fed division of Alaska land surveyance. During that massive land conveyance the state of Alaska as a whole pie was divided up around traditional Native lands and communities and then finalized after the feds shaped their interested landscapes whereby BLM became custodians to roughly 52 % of the entire state's land mass.

As part of the mission statement for BLM, they were tasked with reclamation of lands back to Native groups (individuals and corps). By early 2000 Murkowski was being pressured to complete the land transfers, which expand Native Lands by slipping the bordered Native Select Lands back into Native ownership. In 2004 she got passed the 2004 Land Transfer Acceleration Act, which fast tracked these land transfers per ANCSA mandates. Today these BLM land transfers are is gross over drive as the state of Alaska (development agendas) and Native corps are lining up to choose which lands are most desirable as they come onto the block for chopping and dividing.

Review the current 13-million acre Central Yukon River Management Plan to help you understand how this all relates to the GMU 23 and 26A fight for public land use and its caribou/moose populations. The two roads being proposed which sparked this acreage transfer outline are expected to start a few miles north of the Yukon River bridge and also around MP 315 on the Dalton Hwy. The lower road is expected to cut through the southern Brooks Range all the way to Ambler mining district on the middle Kobuk River. The second road is said to eventually connect to Umiat (first) and then possibly the Red Dog Mine northeast of Noatak village at the headwaters of the Wulik.

All this political traction has made the Native communities nervous as you can imagine, leaving more questions and less hope for everyone to question and not have answers.

You might think these WSA proposals are bad, but wait until open pit mining is the norm in the central and western Brooks Range landscapes. Roads wont be accessible to the public for a minimum 20 years by law, just like the Dalton Hwy (public access began in 1995).

Some deep shit happening behind the veil of our perpetual reactionary minds.

This may seem off topic gentlemen, but I've been involved in this since it was first proposed over 5 years ago. While serving as chair for ABHA, I spearheaded a proposal alternative for this CYRMP with the help of Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership for a 3-million Backcountry Conservation Area along the Dalton Hwy.

Murkowski, Native Corps, and mining companies from China, Australia and Canada are aggressively surveying the proposed lands for road development as we speak. Test sites for core drilling have located rare earth minerals, tungsten, gold, lead, silver, copper, aluminum, platinum, uranium, and a host of other extremely valuable heavy metals and minerals. This quiet political agenda will peel the lid off any fight we have for protecting federal public lands in the GMU 23 and 26A region as it plows forward.

It's a big potential upset in the way Alaskans currently view and utilize these lands.

Stay informed and stay involved.

ppumil

FNG
Here is a brief summary I found and remember I know little of the incredible dynamics here but am just providing information to be informed.

Establishment of Alaska National Parks The National Park Service Organic Act of 1916 states that units of the national park system are established to “conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wild life therein and to provide for enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as to leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations.” This statement represents the most basic mission of Noatak National Preserve. Most of the national parks in Alaska, including Noatak, were established or expanded under the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA), which was adopted on December 2, 1980. The passage of this act culminated more than 20 years of deliberation on federal land claims after Alaska statehood. Prior to Alaska becoming a state in 1959, nearly all land was federal. The Alaska Statehood Act granted the state the right to select 104 million acres of federal land. Within a few years the state land selection process began to include lands traditionally used by Alaska Natives. This led to objections that eventually resulted in a freeze on further state land selections pending congressional settlement of the Native claims. In 1971 Native claims were resolved by passage of the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA). This act, in addition to Native land claims, also provided for withdrawal of 80 million acres for possible designation as national parks, fish and wildlife refuges, national forests, and wild and scenic rivers. Noatak is among those park areas first established in 1978 by Presidential Proclamation by President Carter when he withdrew over 100 million acres of federal land, including 56 million acres as national monuments. ANILCA mandates the specific purposes for each park established. Congress also provided that ANILCA would allow some key activities necessary to perpetuate the rural Alaskan lifestyle, such as subsistence uses, traditional uses, access, cabins, and hunting and trapping. Providing for ANILCA’s mandates and special uses makes management of Alaska parks unique within the national park system. We care for those special places in Alaska saved by the American people as a part of a national system of parks so that all may experience our heritage. We serve residents and visitors who seek inspiration, recreation and education, as well as those who come for traditional activities, subsistence and scientific study. We cooperate with local communities, tribes and others to protect the natural and cultural resources in these special places for this and future generations to experience and enjoy. Alaska Region Mission Statement (2004)
Well you also have to consider the state vs Fed division of Alaska land surveyance. During that massive land conveyance the state of Alaska as a whole pie was divided up around traditional Native lands and communities and then finalized after the feds shaped their interested landscapes whereby BLM became custodians to roughly 52 % of the entire state's land mass.

As part of the mission statement for BLM, they were tasked with reclamation of lands back to Native groups (individuals and corps). By early 2000 Murkowski was being pressured to complete the land transfers, which expand Native Lands by slipping the bordered Native Select Lands back into Native ownership. In 2004 she got passed the 2004 Land Transfer Acceleration Act, which fast tracked these land transfers per ANCSA mandates. Today these BLM land transfers are is gross over drive as the state of Alaska (development agendas) and Native corps are lining up to choose which lands are most desirable as they come onto the block for chopping and dividing.

Review the current 13-million acre Central Yukon River Management Plan to help you understand how this all relates to the GMU 23 and 26A fight for public land use and its caribou/moose populations. The two roads being proposed which sparked this acreage transfer outline are expected to start a few miles north of the Yukon River bridge and also around MP 315 on the Dalton Hwy. The lower road is expected to cut through the southern Brooks Range all the way to Ambler mining district on the middle Kobuk River. The second road is said to eventually connect to Umiat (first) and then possibly the Red Dog Mine northeast of Noatak village at the headwaters of the Wulik.

All this political traction has made the Native communities nervous as you can imagine, leaving more questions and less hope for everyone to question and not have answers.

You might think these WSA proposals are bad, but wait until open pit mining is the norm in the central and western Brooks Range landscapes. Roads wont be accessible to the public for a minimum 20 years by law, just like the Dalton Hwy (public access began in 1995).

Some deep shit happening behind the veil of our perpetual reactionary minds.

This may seem off topic gentlemen, but I've been involved in this since it was first proposed over 5 years ago. While serving as chair for ABHA, I spearheaded a proposal alternative for this CYRMP with the help of Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership for a 3-million Backcountry Conservation Area along the Dalton Hwy.

Murkowski, Native Corps, and mining companies from China, Australia and Canada are aggressively surveying the proposed lands for road development as we speak. Test sites for core drilling have located rare earth minerals, tungsten, gold, lead, silver, copper, aluminum, platinum, uranium, and a host of other extremely valuable heavy metals and minerals. This quiet political agenda will peel the lid off any fight we have for protecting federal public lands in the GMU 23 and 26A region as it plows forward.

It's a big potential upset in the way Alaskans currently view and utilize these lands.

Stay informed and stay involved.
this underscores my point as an outsider seeing bigger issues such as roads, mines, drilling, ETC. Nobody will be hunting caribou in future if these things proceed. the origin 1978 designations were to prevent this kind of thing but as we see there are many ways to skin a cat. Thanks for informations. The more you know the better decision you can make.
Paul

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So now tell them about the proposed areas of Federally Managed Lands, to be set aside for "Quiet Enjoyment". Designated areas, where you are prohibited from making noise, including yelling, loud music, firearms discharge, loud pounding of tent stakes, etc..

This could be a covert tool for controlling hunting with a firearm.

Last edited:

ppumil

FNG
How interesting Alaska is since you have gone the opposite of all other states and it is so recent too (1959). They had state land that became federal and many were states before becoming part of Federal. It also is a state that has all the natural resources in place while so many states have sadly been exploited already and it is catch up game. The power here sure the hell isn't us or even those complaining and the future rides on who will get the resources and if they will manage for instant gain vs longterm. The waters keep getting deeper and more treacherous the farther I wade in. No wonder this is such a shit show!!

Cheechako

FNG
How interesting Alaska is since you have gone the opposite of all other states and it is so recent too (1959). They had state land that became federal and many were states before becoming part of Federal. It also is a state that has all the natural resources in place while so many states have sadly been exploited already and it is catch up game. The power here sure the hell isn't us or even those complaining and the future rides on who will get the resources and if they will manage for instant gain vs longterm. The waters keep getting deeper and more treacherous the farther I wade in. No wonder this is such a shit show!!
Paul I really appreciate the length you are going to to inform yourself and try to understand the context and complexities in this specific discussion and Alaska at large.

I think part of our answer for a better perception of outside hunters is people like you putting in the work to educate yourself about the herd, the place and the history. I am still learning a lot myself.
I think a library or compilation of resources likes those that have been referenced in this discussion that would be available to people who want to hunt in this part of Alaska could be really valuable for resolving conflict and improving future discussion.

ppumil

FNG
Paul I really appreciate the length you are going to to inform yourself and try to understand the context and complexities in this specific discussion and Alaska at large.

I think part of our answer for a better perception of outside hunters is people like you putting in the work to educate yourself about the herd, the place and the history. I am still learning a lot myself.
I think a library or compilation of resources likes those that have been referenced in this discussion that would be available to people who want to hunt in this part of Alaska could be really valuable for resolving conflict and improving future discussion.
Thanks! If I am going to speak i really don't want to be uninformed. I really just wanted to see this amazing area and do a caribou hunt with a good friend before we are too old to float and be safe. I had no idea I would be doing this journey. This issue is so much more complex than this hearing but again I see division being the blinders that allow for horrible consequences. I hope I am wrong!
I think access to the information would be great for everyone. It might make some open their eyes to conversations for the greater longterm good.
Have a great weekend all.

AKDoc

WKR
I submitted my written response in opposition to the proposal, using the link that Mark provided in post #100. I also asked for an email confirmation that my written response would be included in the record. I wish my day wasn't so heavily booked at work this Wed. I would have been very happy to voice my objection verbally.

Use your voices where it counts guys...not just here!

This just in, another public hearing on Dec 2nd. You can still call in, AKDoc

For Immediate Release:
November 15, 2021

Public hearings announced for deferred Temporary Wildlife Special Action Request WSA21-01 regarding caribou and moose in Units 23 and 26A

Last year, the Northwest Arctic Subsistence Regional Advisory Council submitted a Wildlife Special Action Request (WSA21-01) to close caribou and moose hunting on Federal public lands in Units 23 and 26A. Their request was for a temporary closure that would apply to non-federally qualified users during the months of August and September. In June 2021, the Federal Subsistence Board (Board) deferred this request and instructed staff to gather additional information on concerns related to caribou in Units 23 and 26A.

Two telephonic public hearings are scheduled for November 17 and December 2, 2021. Both will be held from 4pm to 6pm (or until the end of public participation). The purpose of these hearings is to receive additional public testimony on this deferred temporary special action request. The Board previously held a public hearing on this issue on April 23, 2021, and is seeking further public comment.

The public is encouraged to participate in these hearings by calling the telephone numbers below. When prompted, enter the passcode.

Public Hearing Information:

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 from 4pm – 6pm (or until the end of public participation)
Teleconference: Toll Free: 888-942-9690
Passcode: 6071806

Thursday, December 2, 2021 from 4pm – 6pm (or until the end of public participation)
Teleconference: Toll Free: 888-390-1184
Passcode: 4410011

Comments will be forwarded to the Board for consideration. The Board will further discuss and take action on WSA21-01 in 2022, and the public will be informed in advance of the Board’s meeting through news releases, radio and newspaper ads, the program webpage, and social media.

The Board is committed to providing access to this public meeting for all participants. Please direct requests for accommodation needs to the Office of Subsistence Management at (800) 478-1456 or (907) 786-3888 or by e-mail [email protected] at least seven business days prior to the meeting.

More on WSA 21-01:

This request, if approved by the Board, would add the following language to the current Federal regulations for caribou and moose in Units 23 and 26A:

“Federal public lands are closed to the harvest of caribou and moose from August 1 through September 30, 2022, except by Federally qualified subsistence users hunting under these regulations.”

When the Board deferred WSA21-01, it directed the Office of Subsistence Management to seek additional input on concerns related to caribou from the Western Arctic Caribou Herd Working Group, Federal land-managing agencies, local Fish and Game Advisory Committees, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Subsistence Regional Advisory Councils, commercial guides and transporters, and subsistence users in the area. These public hearings are being held to provide additional opportunity for public input.

The original analysis for WSA21-01 is available for review on our website at https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/wsa21-01-fsb_0.pdf. This analysis refers to implementation in 2021; note that due to deferral, this action would now take effect in 2022 if approved by the Board.

Information about the Federal Subsistence Management Program may be found on the web at www.doi.gov/subsistence<http://www.doi.gov/subsistence> or by visiting www.facebook.com/subsistencealaska<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection....2tjhnHtk2Gd7sx+I/sha414I5/k6vhtU8=&reserved=0>.

Missing out on the latest Federal subsistence issues? If you’d like to receive emails and notifications on the Federal Subsistence Management Program you may subscribe for regular updates by emailing [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good comments so far against the WSA. Only one in support from the proponent NWA RAC (Tom Baker). Says the problem is not the number of caribou but that non locals and aircraft cause shifts and displacement of the herd in August.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ben Mulligin (ADFG) opposed for

* NOT meeting terms of ANILCA Title 8
* Management objectives are fully met for subsistence and non-subsistence use
* Harvest allocations are supported by science

He also urged the proponent and communities to use the BOG as a mechanism for addressing aircraft use and NOT use the FSB.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ben Mulligin (ADFG) opposed for

* NOT meeting terms of ANILCA Title 8
* Management objectives are fully met for subsistence and non-subsistence use
* Harvest allocations are supported by science

He also urged the proponent and communities to use the BOG as a mechanism for addressing aircraft use and NOT use the FSB.

So what does that mean?

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That was the jest of his substance speaking in testimony against WSA 21-01. To boil it down to one statement there is NO biological support and the WSA fails to meet the requirements for the special action to pass. His urging the RAC to pursue their agenda to restrict aircraft (proponents claim of causation of herd shifts) should and could be addressed to the BOG instead of using the FSB for illegitimate reasons.

Thanks to everyone else who called in to testify. Great respect for all of you for staying aware of these sorts of actions and defending your rights to hunt on federal lands when supported by state management agencies.

ppumil

FNG
Was not able to call in but did write my opposition with 4 points. Biology being number one, Sited data showing planes and non-local hunting having no impact on migration, the argument of lead bull has no data but stated I am OK with being told to wait for several to pass (I have to go through education on moose and such also- not a big deal), and local conflict causing me to lose my rights and causing more pressure on other areas.
I can try at the next to have my voice heard.