Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, sort of like that controlled use area where aircraft support isn't allowed within 10-miles of the Noatak up t the Cutler. That was a huge compromise to reduce user conflict perception. But that obviously hasn't worked to satisfy the proponents so the BOG would recall that history and likely make decisions based on totality of circumstances, board feedback, and what hasn't worked in the past. These sorts of nuances are better suited for the BOG rather than the OSM/FSB. That was his point.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The 2nd meeting is usually offered to appease the public process and to allow those an opportunity who could not testify round one to have that opportunity.

Cheechako

FNG
Hey Larry, thank you for the updates on last nights meeting. I wasn’t able to make it but am planning on attending the next one.

119Bowhunter I believe the point of the second meeting as Larry said is to provide more opportunity for comment and to give people who were unavailable last night another opportunity.
If you already commented, that feedback will be recorded and calling in again would just be redundant.
Best to let others have a chance to speak in my opinion.

ppumil

FNG
Well, sort of like that controlled use area where aircraft support isn't allowed within 10-miles of the Noatak up t the Cutler. That was a huge compromise to reduce user conflict perception. But that obviously hasn't worked to satisfy the proponents so the BOG would recall that history and likely make decisions based on totality of circumstances, board feedback, and what hasn't worked in the past. These sorts of nuances are better suited for the BOG rather than the OSM/FSB. That was his point.
I pointed out in my written letter you can still fly in to fish or hike so they want all air traffic to go away. The game warden flies along with the biologists not to mention natural resource teams (they set off dynamite through most of the Artic circle already for exploration). HA! We are the problem though. Myopic view missing the bigger issues and picture. Put some more roads and pipelines and I would bet there is a much great chance of migration changes.

Am i missing something here or am I correct everyone else can still fly?

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wapiti66: here ya go. scroll down to post #17 on this thread.

lb

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well this isn't good fellas. The caribou count census was released via the Western Arctic Caribou Herd Working Group. Apparently the herd size has declined to below the critical management threshold of 200,000. I'll hussle the state for their management recommendation and share what I learn before the next public meeting in two weeks.

I have the 30-page booklet of details in PDF format. Does anyone know how to post a PDF file on this forum or have an idea how to get you the file?

Until then, here is a link to my Hightail account to share the Western Arctic Caribou info booklet

Clarktar

WKR
Well this isn't good fellas. The caribou count census was released via the Western Arctic Caribou Herd Working Group. Apparently the herd size has declined to below the critical management threshold of 200,000. I'll hussle the state for their management recommendation and share what I learn before the next public meeting in two weeks.

I have the 30-page booklet of details in PDF format. Does anyone know how to post a PDF file on this forum or have an idea how to get you the file?

Until then, here is a link to my Hightail account to share the Western Arctic Caribou info booklet

Host it on Google drive. I can do this if you are not setup to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Will they shut down hunting based on that? Is it a guarantee that they shut it down if numbers are below the threshold?

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No it's not a guarantee but definitely has been shut down before when the herd reached 201,000 caribou (WSA16-01)

The state has suggested a harvestable surplus of 11.300 caribou total with a cow harvest of 3,600 or less and calves only available if "stray" (subjective). They appealed to the Working Group that harvest reporting is especially critical nearest these thresholds because careful observation of cow and calf harvest plus total animal harvest is a top-shelf priority in the science behind management.

As of to day, harvest reporting by locals is extremely absent and lends no management data whatsoever. How do we know if 11,000 caribou or 15,000 caribou were harvested by locals without harvest registration?

There are many steps that should be activated prior to restricting non-local hunters when allocations exist and we have 100% harvest reporting history. They could also limit cow harvest and mandate harvest reporting locally to demonstrate a conservation effort on their part. All this before proposing non-locals should be restricted.

What would the timeline be for making these closures? Would a desicion for a closure be at the next meeting or would this be a spring/summer desicion?

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They'll conduct the public testimony in two weeks and then sometime around April is my best guess on decision announcement.

Thanks for posting the WB Binder Clarktar, been asking why the link on the WG site wasn't working, but they do have it up now.

The FSB will vote on the closure next spring 2022.

FYI, the WG is meeting mid December:

The Western Arctic Caribou Herd Working Group will be meeting virtually on December 15, 2021, from 1:00-5:30PM (AKST). The public is invited to listen to the meeting.
There are two ways to connect to listen to the WACH Working Group meeting.
1) Teleconference (toll-free)
Dial: 1- 877-853-5247 (Toll Free) and then enter the following information when prompted.
Meeting ID: 872 7322 2500 #
Participant ID: Press # key to skip past this and connect to listen to the meeting
(NOTE: If the phone number above does not work, dial either of these toll-free numbers: 1-833-548-0276 or 1-833-548-0282.)
2) Zoom
Zoom requires a good internet connection. If you connect through Zoom, you will be able to view the presentations slides on your computer screen and listen to the meeting through your computer.
Click this link to join the Zoom meeting (listen only): https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87273222500
(Meeting ID: 872 7322 2500)
Meeting Materials
2021 WACH WG Agenda
2021 WACH WG Meeting Binder

ORfish

Lil-Rokslider
If the herd is below the critical management threshold of 200,000, shouldn't we as responsible conservationists ask that all hunting be closed/restricted until it recovers? I have 2022 transporter reservations, but feel like the right thing to do is to cancel and wait until the herd numbers increase.