Hold over scope

ncstewart

WKR
Any recommendations for a hold over scope to get to 700-800 yards for a 300win?

Will not dial so please don’t recommend that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Strelock pro app has hundreds of bdc reticles and factory cartridges preloaded on their app. You can put in your 300win load of choice then play around with different reticles and scope zeros to figure out which reticles will work best with your load

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
Screenshot_20210131-152319.png
Here's an example of what strelock will show you before you purchase. my .280ai with the cabela's/meopta reticle that was preloaded. Punched in my own handloads. Worth the few bucks imo

If your eyes are good with it at low magnification, go with a FFP so your sub-tensions are always the same.

Also look for a scope with sub-tensions for windage.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That's a technically harder system to run, only holding.

IMO, to do it effectively, you will need a Christmas tree type with wind holds that deep in the reticle, or you won't be able to hold wind accurately. Pick one that is uncluttered and your eye likes.

800 yards is a 16 moa elevation hold out of a 7mm rem mag with a 180 at 3015 fps and a 10 mph wind is 3 moa. That is quite a ways out in space and below the horizontal stadia for wind.

Another thing to consider is that far outside of the optical center, there is more distortion of the glass. I know snipers that won't hold that far outside the center because they feel it isn't accurate enough. Its debated though.

Also, holding usually requires the max magnification on a second focal plane scope, so don't go too high on magnification, because anything over 15x can get too mushy to hold accurately in mirage. A first focal plane you can probably dial down magnification enough and still see 18 moa. I don't have an MOA scope to check that.

Any reason you won't dial?

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
It’s for my dad and he just doesn’t want to dial. He has played with it a little and don’t care for it for hunting.

Thanks for the response guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Ern

WKR
Any scope with an H59 reticle. Lear. How to use it. Hold for elevation and/or wind is easy.

of SB grid, tremor 2/3 reticle. Anything works.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Zeiss xmas tree style reticle. It’s works ok but the app tells you what power to use for your specific caliber and load. So not necessarily mac power to line up with the hash marks. I would not really recommend it out to 800 yards. Just not as precise as the scopes I dial.

scooter25

FNG
If its legal in your state the SIG BDX line is worth a look. I really like that system. It is super simple, just range it and the hold over dot lights up in the scope.

Sandstrom

WKR
I went with a Swarovski z3 3-10x with the brh reticle this year. It worked great for me, I was able to very very quickly change from an elk that I shot at at 280 to put a shot on the one that my dad hit at 330 with out taking my eyes off the herd. The next day I was shooting steel out to 600 yards using the same brh reticle. This was with my 308, I am guessing a 300 win would be able to reach out a little farther with the Same hash marks. Using the Swarovski ballistic calculator, it was spot on once I put in my actual velocity.

Play around with the Swarovski ballistic calculator. Very easy to use and it is free.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Sandstrom

WKR
C47E3AB8-D3D9-4754-9A96-1596EDE9B616.png

This is for a 300 win shooting factory federal with 215 bergers zeroed at 200. Looks like it gets you to 750 easy.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dialing for 600 to 800 is so much easier than holding that far into the reticle. I hold all the time, but won't hold past 600 just because it only adds errors. A Christmas tree reticle is more complex than dialing that far.

Hold out to 600, but dial past that. If he can get the dope, he can dial. He is only handicapping himself.

Tell him to get with the times, lol.

Sandstrom

WKR
Just out of curiosity, if your shot calls for a 16 MOA drop at X yards, what is the difference between a scope that has a pre set sub-tension of 16 MOA and one where you turn a dial to 16 MOA? Why does dialing give you a better 16 MOA aiming point?

Ryan