Holster on pack belt

Zspires94

FNG
Does anybody put a holster on their pack belt and if so what kind of holster? I slipped my black-hawk retention holster on my SG 5900 belt but it’s not the securest.
c8f0bda175d0f5c1d04d4cd13e8aa972.jpg
2f2ed300eafae5ba107e6ad54e2dae76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
Its been discussed on here before. But what its worth I carry a 4" revolver in a Hunter 1100-12 mounted on my leftside for a crossdraw. Easier for me to draw my gun.

lots of threads on this if you search. I'm going away from pack belt carry and switching to either chest carry (attached to bino harness) or a style that rides just bellow the pack belt so when I drop my pack I still have my firearm.

OP
Z

Zspires94

FNG
Thanks for the replies, I will do a search tomorrow on my laptop because I can’t seem to find anything I’m looking for using Tapatalk.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
The Exo guys had the guy from Ivory Holsters on the podcast a while back, his product looks top notch. The only hesitation in going with this style is when you set your pack down, you no longer possess your handgun on your body. At a kill site, around camp, or stalking I prefer to have my handgun attached to my body. That said, this product looks well made.

https://www.ivoryholsters.com/product/emg-pack-holster/

87TT

WKR
Don't have to worry about Griz around where I hunt. I carry a 2" S&W 340PD .357 in an old soft padded nylon holster(Uncle Mikes I think) with a nylon web retention strap on it. As said before on my left side as it gets in the way on the right. When I take the pack off and feel the need, the pistol goes in my pocket. So short answer, I don't like those hard plastic holsters. I want one with a strap across the top either leather or my favorite the soft padded nylon (quieter).

*zap*

WKR
Retention by locking device holsters are good if you ONLY use that exact type of locking device always. If you use different types of retention locking devices you may fail to draw your handgun when you need it.

CKWY97

FNG
I'm currently using a Safariland retention holster (not sure on the model) with a QLS fork and plate on my Kifaru pack belt. I like it for the most part, but still not a fan of setting my sidearm down when I drop my pack. I just ordered a HPG recon kit bag with their bino pouch to put on front, so hopefully that will be the answer for me. Have also used the mid ride holsters from G-Code and Safariland under a pack belt. I found that I really liked it with my Eberlestock pack belt, which the holster rode beneath quite well. However with my Kifaru pack belt, it does not ride nearly as well and is actually not comfortable at all.

I ran a Serpa Strike Plate on my Kifaru belt for a couple of seasons before switching to the Kenai Chest Holster. Worked fine for me but I prefer the chest carry of the two.

If you want it with you when you drop your pack, look into a drop holster. It'll be on your thigh below your pack belt.

netman

WKR
I bought a Alien holster just for my pack. I carry a Glock 22. It’s a very nice and rugged holster.

jmden

WKR
The Blackhawk paddle will let you take that holster right off your pack and slip it in your pants/belted shorts when you are around camp. Quite comfortable and versatile setup. Been using that setup for years.

OP
Z

Zspires94

FNG
The Blackhawk paddle will let you take that holster right off your pack and slip it in your pants/belted shorts when you are around camp. Quite comfortable and versatile setup. Been using that setup for years.

This is exactly what I was thinking after everyone bringing up the point of not having it on you once you set your pack down.

*zap*

WKR
A drop leg, if set up correctly is really ideal for open carry.

Take the top leg strap off, put the belt loop thru your pant belt and strap the bottom leg strap just below the crotch. They are fairly inexpensive, adjustable for many different handguns, many have a spare mag holder and they can adjust to accommodate a weapon light on a pistol. If set up in that manner it is really a good system.....there are no interference issues with that holster if it is worn that way. Only downside is that it is not an easy draw if your sitting on your backside.

A drop leg, if set up correctly is really ideal for open carry.

Take the top leg strap off, put the belt loop thru your pant belt and strap the bottom leg strap just below the crotch. They are fairly inexpensive, adjustable for many different handguns, many have a spare mag holder and they can adjust to accommodate a weapon light on a pistol. If set up in that manner it is really a good system.....there are no interference issues with that holster if it is worn that way. Only downside is that it is not an easy draw if your sitting on your backside.

Fair warning...IMO Wearing a drop leg holster with a thigh strap on a long, sweaty hike is a good way to start a brush fire that will engulf your taint and genitals. If you are into that sort of thing then strap up and march on but don’t blame me when your crotch bursts into flames at around mile 3.

Check this gizmo out if you want to get your holster below you hip without an excessive fire hazard.

If you go the drop leg route, please post pics of the chaffing aftermath as a warning to future generations of roksliders.

PS - although I never had a problem with mine, those Blackhawk Serpa holsters have a bit of a bad rap for getting clogged with mud or debris that can impede the release mechanism. I think the earlier versions had some cracking failures in the holster body too. Some of the “real deal” gunfighters I know in .mil and law enforcement are not big fans of them for field use.

MOSO 300

FNG

I’ve ran two types of paddles holsters for several years, one for a 357 and on for a 44. Do you have to take it off and put it on yes, but’s it’s very quick and keeps my chest free for binos. Two thumbs up for paddle holsters here

*zap*

WKR
Fair warning...IMO Wearing a drop leg holster with a thigh strap on a long, sweaty hike is a good way to start a brush fire that will engulf your taint and genitals. If you are into that sort of thing then strap up and march on but don’t blame me when your crotch bursts into flames at around mile 3.

Check this gizmo out if you want to get your holster below you hip without an excessive fire hazard.

If you go the drop leg route, please post pics of the chaffing aftermath as a warning to future generations of roksliders.

PS - although I never had a problem with mine, those Blackhawk Serpa holsters have a bit of a bad rap for getting clogged with mud or debris that can impede the release mechanism. I think the earlier versions had some cracking failures in the holster body too. Some of the “real deal” gunfighters I know in .mil and law enforcement are not big fans of them for field use.

You do not need to keep the strap tight enough to chaff your skin, the main bearing point is the belt loop. You can keep it real tight but that is not necessary.

I will add that good field testing of new gear/systems is a good idea but that advances to almost 'a necessity' when you are dealing with a weapon retention system.

Last edited:

jmden

WKR
I’ve ran two types of paddles holsters for several years, one for a 357 and on for a 44. Do you have to take it off and put it on yes, but’s it’s very quick and keeps my chest free for binos. Two thumbs up for paddle holsters here

Yes, binos for the chest, or if I'm really working hard with a heavy load to get to camp, etc., I don't want anything on my chest that retains heat. Can't stand stuff on my chest for that reason. Just me.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to beat Ivory Holsters for fit and ride (no flopping). They work great on an EXO pack belt and easy to unclip from pack and use on pants belt.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
My recommendation is not use a Serpa, period. Do some research. It's a crap design. Banned by multiple LEO agencies, IDPA, and numerous instructors. I have personal experience with the locking mechanism "locking up" when it got dirty (this was overseas).

If you must have active retention, there are better options.