Holster Recommendations

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
My BIL is letting me use his S&W 500. It’s an X Frame with a 4” barrel. Any of you guys carry one of these monsters have a holster recommendation? It’s so heavy. I can’t imagine carrying on my waist belt for miles at a time. I almost just want to leave it at camp and carry spray. If you have one or something similar how do you carry and what holster do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I have that x frame in 8" 460. If I was not actively hunting with it, I would not even begin to consider it. It weighs more than my rifles.

A defense gun has to work, and to work it has to be able to be accessed quickly. If you can't keep it in your muscle memory location....it's not working to potential.

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
I carried one of those a few years back on a horseback hunt, I carry much lighter now. I would do a gunfighter rig like whats posted above, the closer to your body, the less you will feel the weight.

Are you shooting solids? I assume so cause that aint no squirrel gun. Just wait till you shoot some nasty Buffalo solids out of that cannon.

Be safe this season and good luck in the Elk woods!

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I have that x frame in 8" 460. If I was not actively hunting with it, I would not even begin to consider it. It weighs more than my rifles.

A defense gun has to work, and to work it has to be able to be accessed quickly. If you can't keep it in your muscle memory location....it's not working to potential.

Yeah I think this gun will turn into my paperwork companion for the walk to and from base camp. I really can’t imagine carrying this thing around everywhere.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I carried one of those a few years back on a horseback hunt, I carry much lighter now. I would do a gunfighter rig like whats posted above, the closer to your body, the less you will feel the weight.

Are you shooting solids? I assume so cause that aint no squirrel gun. Just wait till you shoot some nasty Buffalo solids out of that cannon.

Be safe this season and good luck in the Elk woods!

Yeah he gave me some 350gr to start with but told me I maybe want to go up. I’ve fired it with the 350’s a couple times and it’s a cannon.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider

This is what I prefer for a .460 there is a 20% off sale right now too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I appreciate it!

This is what I prefer for a .460 there is a 20% off sale right now too

I got one of these recently as well, for a glock 20. Haven’t used it in the field yet but can tell I’m going to like it a lot more than my pack/hip holster.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Best rig for a gun of that weight is a chest holster. Diamond D and Simply Rugged to name a couple.

Big Ern

WKR
Another vote for Kenai Chest rig. I use it for a S&W 329pd. Granted, mine is a lightweigt frame so no idea what it would be like toting around that canon of yours. Probably not too fun.

pbcarch

WKR
I will be bringing my ruger redhawk 44....have the diamond d holster with drop panel.
Past few years I had a Glock 40 in a gunfighters INC drop panel.
I like it on my leg as it’s always on me , I can easily reach it, and not in the way of my bino harness

11boo

WKR
That is some artillery. I hope you have been shooting it enough to be proficient.

I’m not sure if it would fit in here, but the hill people recon bag is legit for a 1911.

0A3D5E90-96E6-4D5E-995A-5C2858359D13.jpeg

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have carried a 4” Model 500 quite a bit in a Galco DAO Strongside/Crossdraw holster attached to the waistbelt of some older Kifaru pack frames. After I got a new frame that lacked the wider webbing on the belt, I got a Diamond D Guide’s Choice chest holster to carry a 5” 460V. With the chest holster, my bino case interferes with my draw. I prefer having the big revolver sitting crossdraw on my pack’s waistbelt.

I believe alien gear also has a chest holster, and also a holster that attaches to the shoulder strap of your pack... definitely worth checking out.

mdkelley

FNG
I bought the diamond D chest rig for my 5.5" redhawk 44 mag. It is a great holster and handles the weight well but I agree it is a no-go if you plan to use a bino chest pack (I run the alaska guide bino pack). Carried a glock on my backpack belt last year, that worked well. I am planning to get some extra buckle/clips for my kifaru pack and modify the diamond D to quick attach to the pack or to a harness but I haven't had time to do that yet. A leg mount holster may be nice. There just isn't a great solution available for running a full sized revolver and a chest pack in my opinion. Some guys will put a gun in the back pocket/panel of a bino pack but to me that is too slow of a draw in a surprise charge situation (I tried something similar, looks cool, sounds neat, won't cut it for a large revolver). Especially if there are zippers/velcro or any other two handed functions needed to draw. Again, that is just my opinion for my hunting style/situation. I agree the crossdraw on the pack belt would be a good option for the times you are wearing your pack, but there are too many times I am not wearing my back pack but have the chest pack and would like to still be close to the revolver.

Good luck, let us know what you come up with and how it works.

Last edited:

mdkelley

FNG
so, I rigged up my diamond D as a cross draw, it sat on my left hip and it worked great on my recent elk hunt. I will put a pic up if I can remember. I removed the over the shoulder strap and put a compression strap buckle in its place (from my kifaru backpack). I connected one end of the strap/buckle to the now empty holster ring, and the other to a webbing strap on the pack belt. I used the belly strap on the diamond d holster (with the nylon webbing and adjustable click buckle) as a waist strap/belt. The gun rode well and I didn't notice it was there. It was a bit of a pain at first to unclip the extra buckle every time I removed my pack, but it got to be pretty easy and worked quite well. The holster was solid, didn't move at all and was easy to draw from. It was pretty nice to have such a large revolver that carried so easily.

EDIT: I use the alaska guide creations bino harness, not sure if I had mentioned that yet or not.

My BIL is letting me use his S&W 500. It’s an X Frame with a 4” barrel. Any of you guys carry one of these monsters have a holster recommendation? It’s so heavy. I can’t imagine carrying on my waist belt for miles at a time. I almost just want to leave it at camp and carry spray. If you have one or something similar how do you carry and what holster do you use?

Are you hunting an area with documented grizzly populations? Idaho/Montana/Wyoming areas?