Holster recommendations

kordo

FNG
I am getting ready for my spring bear hunt and need a new holster for my M&P Shield 45. I usually appendix carry, but am looking for a better option since I will be wearing a pack. The two options I am looking at are a drop leg holster or a chest harness. My concern with the chest harness is my bino pack interfering with it.
Does anyone have recommendations for carrying a smaller handgun while wearing a pack and bino harness?

Beckjhong

WKR
I wear a Hosking Holster chest harness for a 10mm under my bino harness without issue.

I like it better than the gunfighters Inc kenai and it is loads better than the razco.

This is worth a listen. .45 cal came in behind 10mm and 9mm for round choice.

Although this has nine cases of 45 being used successfully.

Either way, practice your draw and dryfire as much as possible.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I run a Dara brand hip holster for both of my mountain carry weapons (Glock 40/41) which rides lower than my packs waist straps. Pretty good quality and affordable. A chest rig is also a great route

OP
K

kordo

FNG
I wear a Hosking Holster chest harness for a 10mm under my bino harness without issue.

I like it better than the gunfighters Inc kenai and it is loads better than the razco.

This is worth a listen. .45 cal came in behind 10mm and 9mm for round choice.

Although this has nine cases of 45 being used successfully.

Either way, practice your draw and dryfire as much as possible.
I know there are mixed opinions on .45 for grizzly attacks, I just cant afford another pistol and $4.50 a gallon to drive to Montana. Thanks for the info on Hosking holsters, I have not heard of them and really like the stuff I'm seeing on their site.

If you don’t go chest rig, a Drop leg with a strap and long walks is no bueno unless your want to slowly saw your leg off IMO. There are a few gadgets that are stiff elongated belt loops that work with three hole pattern holsters that place them 3-6 inches below your belt line to clear a pack belt. I use one called a safariland UBL. About $20 and it keeps me from leaving my pistola on my pack belt or bino harness, both of which, while hunting, I am inclined to remove more frequently than my pants, although I do not judge others who choose to hunt without pants.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend a chest rig, however don't necessarily have a recommendation on which maker to use. I've heard a lot of people talk about The Hill People and as stated gunfighters Inc. I also carry appendix and have continued to do so while wearing my pack and also saddle hunting. I am though looking into other options like you as I don't have as quick as access when wearing the pack or saddle.

*zap*

WKR
If you wear the drop leg with only the bottom strap and it is worn high, with the top loop attached your belt it should be no problem at all.

OP
K

kordo

FNG
Decided to opt for a chest rig instead of the drop leg. I went with the Hosking after speaking to them on the phone and getting some advice. Thanks for the help.

Wrench

WKR
Although not the exact answer to your question...I have killed a bear at close range with a pistol and I do carry when I have a pack.

I have been pleased with a leather hunter and kydex/cordura holsters20200913_044340.jpg20200928_184500.jpg on the belt of my kifaru and mystery ranch packs. The attachment was as simple as creating a loop between molle loops on the belt. I made a single loop through 4 holes which made two parallel runs of paracord. About 6 laps through and it was stable as a rock. This could be applied to just about any belt ride holster, IWB or OWB with a little creativity.

The things I like about this is the ability to have my gun in a familiar position and not sweat on my chest.

Hopefully this helps understand the concept....I don't have any good pics handy.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Gunfighters inc for chest holsters, I have an ivory that fits on a pack belt too which is a nice setup. I mostly float hunt though so the ivory dosent get used too much other than day hikes.

Totoro

WKR
I sorta went thru the same scenario myself.

Ended up going with Hill People Gear Recon Kit Bag full with their bino pouch too.

Full sized Glock with room to spare.

Whatever retention method you pick, practice draw and rounds on target under stress.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
For a first CCW holster I like the Vedder Light-Tuck. It's on the pricey side for a kydex taco type holster, around $55. But it's clip is adjustable 15 degrees each way so it can be warn from 10:30 all the way around to 5:30, and has 3 different height settings. I had no idea where I wanted to wear it, or how high, or how much cant, but this one holster allowed me to figure it out without trying a drawer full of holsters. Ends up I like my holsters at 4 o'clock, but riding much higher, and with less cant than I thought I would. Now I know exactly what to look for in my next holster.

I own both a drop leg and Razco chest holster. I don’t care for either, but of the two, the chest holster is by far the only one I will continue to ever wear again, just need a different one I think.

The only time I would ever again consider wearing a drop leg is if I knew I would be on level ground not crossing over deadfall, climbing up and down steep terrain etc. Otherwise it will be so uncomfortable and obstructive it’s not worth it. It “sawing off your leg” comment above isn‘t too far off. I was required to bring a side arm while hunting a ranch on the Rio Grande for Aoudad several years ago. The leg holster became so uncomfortable I took it off and threw it and the pistol in my backpack.

A chest holster is what you want, which one is the answer I can’t give you. I disliked the Razco mounted below my AGC harness as it hung down over my backpack waist belt and would bang around on top of it and then when trying to sit and glass the bottom of the Razco would dig straight into your abdomen. Something that sits higher or behind your bino harness is probably best.