Holy Crap! New Nosler Long Range Accubonds!

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
I am very interested in these bullets and everything I can find on them looks promising. I will be doing a lot of testing with them as soon as they are available in the 190 gr .308 out of my borden 300 rum. Thanks for the thread guys...a lot of great info!

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot the 180VLD's for a few years now. I went with this bullet for 2 reasons. First being high B.C. And second was the heavy bullet bucking the wind better at extended ranges. Looks like I'm going to have a research project for winter. If I was getting a custom barrel what would you recommend? And what twist rate would be optimal for my setup? Or would I be better to shoot a smaller bullet? Thanks for all the help.

Well, if Berger advises a 9-twist for the 180s and that's what you'll be shooting, that's what I'd go with, it'll handle the lighter bullets too. As far as custom barrels I'm certainly no expert and there are a lot of good ones out there. I think it depends on whether you want a cut-rifled or button-rifled barrel (or whether that matters to you) and whether you want the barrel maker to do a turnkey job and chamber/install the barrel in your action or whether you want your own gunsmith to do that. Also, whether you want stainless steel in a lighter contour. Some barrel makers won't make stainless barrels in lighter contours, so you'll need to check that out.

Having said all that, I've had good luck with Pacnor, Bartlein, and Brux barrels. Pacnor makes button-rifled barrels and the other two are cut-rifled. You hear a lot of different opinions about cut-rifled barrels being more accurate, and it seems that benchrest shooters tend towards them, but I've had four or five from Pacnor now and they've all been accurate, including my most accurate rifle, a 6.5-06 Ackley. Their service is great, and they will do turnkey work (as will Bartlein) which means it's less hassle for you and your project will take less time than waiting for the barrel then waiting for your gunsmith to chamber/fit the barrel. Pacnor will also do custom contours, including lightweights like the Kimber Montana contour in stainless. I've heard good things about Rock Creek barrels too but haven't had one myself.

If you're going to have a gunsmith do the bedding on your stock, it's going to sit at the gunsmiths for a while anyway so the turn-key option is not so important.

So if it were me, I'd go with one of those, depending on whether cut-rifled/button-rifled is important, the contour I wanted, whether I wanted turn-key service, and their turnaround time. Check that before you commit, it varies a lot. In my experience Pacnor is quickest, but they're still about 14 weeks right now, I have one with them and one with Bartlein and bartlein was more like 20 weeks IIRC.

PS, on your comment about heavier bullets bucking wind better, that's true in general but only because heavier bullets tend to have higher BCs--a lighter bullet with a higher BC will actually buck the wind better, it's BC that matters.

Last edited:
B

bearguide

i like the numbers, but question them when looking at bergers

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking the same thing. It'll be interesting if/when someone tests them in the field.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone been able to get their hands on these yet? I would like to try some when I start doing some load development this summer.

Coop

Whisky

WKR
I have not. But I'm wanting to give the 6.5s a try too. Last I checked Midway, the 6.5mm ETA was 7/29, not good. It just keeps getting further and further, so who knows..

I wouldnt get to excited about the advertised numbers.

Nosler is usually pretty "generous" with its advertised BC's.

I just called Nosler and they confirmed over the phone that their expectation is that they should be on the shelves in July. I had been seeing that July date on the Midway site like Whisky notes so it's looking like four months out still.

Guess I have time to read up, gear up, watch a DVD or try and find a reloading class out my way. I'm brand new to reloading but I've decided to take the reloading plunge.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I too would be surprised if the numbers shake out in the end... Never seen a .308/210 with a BC like that before but I hope those are close to reality. Sounds like we'll be waiting a while yet. Thanks for the update Kevin!

Coop

C.K

FNG
Dave do you have a source for that? I'm finding that there are lots of different opinions but not a lot of definitive written information on this subject. If you know where I can find some, I'd love to check it out, thanks.

That was from back in the day before cheytac went under. I've played with a bunch of experimental bullets much larger caliber than what were talking here, most radical needed barrel exit twists of 5.5 which started at 13 twist.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Guess who found a box of 210 grain .30 cal Nosler LR Accubonds on the shelf today??

I don't have a .30 that I reload for, but I figured I would find a buddy that wanted them. Ryan Avery about blew a nut when I called him! Only box on the shelf.

Coop

Whisky

WKR
Coop,
If you happen to get lucky twice and stumble upon a couple-3 hundred 6.5s, buy them please....:)

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Will do... I'll buy every box that hits the shelf for a while. I highly doubt we will see any more for a while. My guess is the other calibers are not available yet, only .30 cal. These were not even supposed to be here until July. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

G1 BC on those 210's is listed on the box at .730!!!!!!

I thought they might change their estimates once they were in production, but looks like that's their story and they're sticking to it!

Could shoot those out of a drinking straw 350 yards with no wind drift!

Coop

HOT ROD

WKR
Holly cow. My little brother found sum. .277 150s. In a small gun shop here in Pa. I have ben looking for these since May? How does a small gun shop get these. And midway,cabelas,and others cant. When I was looking for powder, primers , cases. I found all I needed. In a small shop. Go figure

Details on the rifle launching those beauties please? Twist, length? I have been wanting to try these in my Savage, but wasn't sure if the twist would work with them.

Anxious to see your results.