Holy Crap! New Nosler Long Range Accubonds!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Bend, Ore. – October 31, 2012 – Nosler, Inc. is pleased to announce the release of their new line of AccuBond® Long Range bullets. Developed through a combination of bullet manufacturing techniques that are unique to Nosler, the design of the AccuBond®-LR allows for the highest B.C. possible in a bullet of the same caliber and weight. Designed with an optimum performance window ranging from 3,200fps to 1,300fps, the unique tapered jacket geometry and proprietary
bonding process of the AccuBond®-LR allow it to expand rapidly for effective energy transfer and significant tissue damage while retaining sufficient weight to ensure deep penetration into the vitals. The AccuBond® bonding process allows the AccuBond®-LR to perform reliably on game throughout the entire velocity range, eliminating the problem of being “too close” often encountered with other high-B.C. bullets. The high-performance boat tail, long ogive, and polymer tip combine to make the AccuBond®-LR the sleekest, flattest- shooting, bonded, hunting bullet ever created. The ogive of the AccuBond®-LR is designed to provide excellent accuracy in a wide variety of firearms without the necessity of being loaded close to or in contact with the lands. The new AccuBond®-LR will be packaged in 100 count boxes, and will initially be available in the following calibers and weights.

nosler2013.jpg

Those are some sweet numbers!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The G1 and G7 are different drag tables. Some believe the G7 is a more accurate way to measure drag factors. I have found that my ballistic programs that allow me to change my tables that there is minor difference once you run the numbers.

Putting that aside, the reported BC's are astonishing when you compare them to what is out there. Those BC's rival the 250-300 lapua BC's. if they shoot as well as the regular Accubonds they will likely be the bullet of choice if they produce.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also on G1 and G7, the G1 is also older and generally based on flat based bullets and the G7 a newer drag model based on long range boat tail type bullets. There is more to it than that, but not that we generally care about. Just know when you run your ballistic software to make sure you use the correct BC with the correct drag table in the software. A G1 BC inputed into a the incorrect drag table will give you significantly wrong data. And it would work the other way too. G1 BC with G1 drag table and flat based bullets and G7 BC withG7 drag table and boat tail type bullets.

Matt may have a more scientific explanation he could provide also.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I don't believe the .73 on the 210. No way! The Berger 230 is only .719

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I don't believe the .73 on the 210. No way! The Berger 230 is only .719

It'll be interesting to find out how the numbers were developed, and whether they hold up. I would think other premium bullet purveyors who've had the high-BC market pretty much to themselves will be doing some field testing in the near future.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Doug has it.

G1 BCs compare the bullet's drag characteristics to a theoretical reference projectile that is pretty much a long cylinder.

G7 BCs compare the bullet's drag characteristics to a theoretical reference projectile that has a 7.5 degree boattail and a ten caliber tangent ogive.

G1 BCs provide reliable data for bullets of a wide variety of bullet shapes and distances, but G7 calculations provide more reliable data for low-drag bullets at long ranges.

Shrek

WKR
Before everyone gets excited about these high bc bullets you need to realise that most are going to need custom higher twist rate barrels to stabilise them. Many factory barrels will not work. Most all factory barrels for calibers less than 7mm will not work. Don't go buy a bunchof bullets until you check the twist rate on your barrel. Sorry to rain on the parade but bullets and powder are expensive.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

I tend to agree with you on the .308 210s and .284 175s (although it is still possible they will be fine), but I bet most of the others should stabilize out of the common factory twist rates. If they require a faster twist, Nosler will likely put the required twist rate on the box.

Shrek

WKR
Matt , I thonk the standard 9.5 twist 7mm barrels will be fine and 10 twist 30 cal also but the standard 10 twist used on 22 , 243 , 25 , 270 rifles will not even be close. They will need 7.5 to 85 twist barrels. Berger makes it clear and I hope nosler does the same. Otherwise these bullets will get a bad reputation.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I see your concerns about the .270, Dave (your other calibers don't have a Nosler ALR listed), but 1:10 might be fine with the 150 in .277, given the long boattail and ogive will shorten bearing surface. We will have to see on that one. The standard 1:8 twist in the 6.5s should be awesome with the 129. I really like the looks of the 168 7mm. My 1:9.5 should stabilize it well, and I should be able to overcome the minor BC advantage of the 175 with muzzle velocity and the the 168.

I think they look great. The Berger 210s stabilize in a 1:10, so I am hopeful of the Nosler ALR 210. I am considering rebarreling my 300 RUM to 1:9 anyway.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would agree, every other manufacturer is going to do their own testing. They all did when Berger came out with high BC bullets and after a couple of years, Berger re-tested these bullets and changed their BC's as needed.

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I think that those 190's will be just the ticket for my new Nosler 48 trophy grade in 30/06 that my lovely bride won for me.