Holy Hammer Hunter!

I've reloaded a long time. its not everyday you find a bullet this easy to work a load for . I dig em

just piling on here. My 30-06 Fieldcraft really likes the 166 Hammer Hunters with RL16. Interested trying out the 178 Absolute Hunters if anyone has any experience with them yet.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Wow. I might have to give them a try. I never had any luck with any other mono bullets but I never really gave them much time.

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Wow lots of great HH reviews!

Anyone try the Shock Hammers? I’m thinking about giving these a shot for my 7/08 and 300.

Wanting to stick with mono, but looking for more “bang flops”. Not shooting past 400.

Sorry maybe I should begin a new thread.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I've only killed a coyote with them at 330 yards. It devastated him. Looking forward to doing some testing on big game in 2021!

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
That’s some bad ass shooting OP! Were you able to put them through any game last year or this winter?
Edit: just saw that you hit some coyotes with them. It’s nice to hear they expanded on ole Wiley Coyote!

Last edited:

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
just piling on here. My 30-06 Fieldcraft really likes the 166 Hammer Hunters with RL16. Interested trying out the 178 Absolute Hunters if anyone has any experience with them yet.
Did you put the AH through your Fieldcraft? I’ve been drooling over a Fieldcraft for months and think I finally got one. Was going to try the 178 AH as a deer/elk/black bear round.

Did you put the AH through your Fieldcraft? I’ve been drooling over a Fieldcraft for months and think I finally got one. Was going to try the 178 AH as a deer/elk/black bear round.
nope. I decided I wanted to get through more of my 166 hunters before I started messing around with something else. Also hoping in the meantime others would experiment with the 162 AH and 178 AH to help me decide which to try. I've always tended towards heavier bullets all things considered - but I'm not sure that old adage holds as true for monos - and my fieldcraft has enough jump/snort as is without pushing more mass. I also wasn't sure if length might not start becoming an issue with the 178's. Not saying it would....but again, hoping someone else would be a guinea pig for me! As I stated earlier - my FC certainly likes the 166 hunters (although it shoots 180 partitions almost as well).

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
Thanks for the reply. I’ve read that mag length is an issue in FC. recoil might also be a little better with the 162. And like you said, speed kills with the monos. Maybe I’ll pick up a pack of the 162 AHs and be that guinea pig!

FWIW magazine length wasn't an issue with the 166's (which are pretty long and pointy) so don't know if it would be for the 178's or not. Setting the 166s to just clear the magazine there was still room for more powder without compression had I wanted to go hotter. Just seemed very accurate where we were at with 57.1 of RL16 and 2840 fps.

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
That’s good to hear. RL16 is what I have to work with. Thanks for the info.

JakeSCH

WKR
Hammers are terrible. If you haven't tried them, don't bother. Lol at least that is what I want people to believe so they don't go out of stock like all other reloading equipment...that or have everyone buy up all the absolutes.

Joking aside, they are fantastic. Reloading is easy and they perform flawlessly on game. I am dreaming of rebarreling my 300WM to a 30NOS with a 1-8 twist to shoot the 214HH's after my barrel goes out.