Holy Hammer Hunter!

huntnful

WKR
I had a .28 nosler built for the 195 Berger’s this year. 1-8 twist 26” barrel. It shoots them 1/2 MOA consistently and I killed a pile of stuff with them. But I wanted to see if I could get a good mono metal load worked up in the off season, I live in California unfortunately :( and it seems things are starting to go this way. After some research I decided to try the 177gr hammer hunters by Hammer Bullets. They require a 1-8 twist also and are very similar in length to the 195’s. I loaded 5 rounds, half assed guessed on the seating (first round seated snug in the lands, I seated it another .05 deeper and called it good). I put 82gr. of N570 behind it. I also scrubbed my barrel pretty clean of carbon AND copper since I was switching bullets. I shot ONE fouling shot off the target and then proceeded with this 3 shot group.6F80EF7C-5D33-4350-BE64-5C3BA69B420F.jpegD5725E72-4968-4C23-8A58-3911F24B45BC.jpega .114 group, with absolutely no load development. That’s unreal. For the 5th bullet I drove back to 500 yards, guesstimating the velocity at 3200 I entered some ballistics and was 1” off bullseye at 500. Still need to chrono, I just really wanted to test accuracy without something strapped to my barrel. Great first impression though!!A1A74880-BB4F-4E1F-8EF7-00256075C9D5.jpeg

EastMT

WKR
Dang! I’m building a 308 for these bullets now, I can’t wait to test them out.

I think I’d quit right there haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
Damn fine bullets! I'd say no need to chrono when your that close on your guess. Take it out to 800 and see if the 3200 holds. Nice rifle!

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Dang! I’m building a 308 for these bullets now, I can’t wait to test them out.

I think I’d quit right there haha.

Seems to be the common theme with Hammer bullets.
Damn fine bullets! I'd say no need to chrono when your that close on your guess. Take it out to 800 and see if the 3200 holds. Nice rifle!
Oh that'll be exciting! Make sure it has a fast twist barrel for sure.

Yeah, I researched em quite a bit. Seemed like as long you follow the twist rate rules, they're tack drivers!

I hear ya, but I really like knowing the actual velocity so I can verify what BC the bullet actually has when putting in all my ballistics!

warrbuk

WKR
That’s a great Cali load.

I just broke in a 28N I built and will work the 195 load first.

How far off the lands were you with the 177 HH’s?

Thanks
Mark

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
That’s a great Cali load.

I just broke in a 28N I built and will work the 195 load first.

How far off the lands were you with the 177 HH’s?

Thanks
Mark

I honestly didn't do anything precise. The first seating was in the lands when I loaded it in, so I pulled it out and seated it another .05 deeper and it was clear. No idea where it actually ended up lol.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I had a .28 nosler built for the 195 Berger’s this year. 1-8 twist 26” barrel. It shoots them 1/2 MOA consistently and I killed a pile of stuff with them. But I wanted to see if I could get a good mono metal load worked up in the off season, I live in California unfortunately :( and it seems things are starting to go this way. After some research I decided to try the 177gr hammer hunters by Hammer Bullets. They require a 1-8 twist also and are very similar in length to the 195’s. I loaded 5 rounds, half assed guessed on the seating (first round seated snug in the lands, I seated it another .05 deeper and called it good). I put 82gr. of N570 behind it. I also scrubbed my barrel pretty clean of carbon AND copper since I was switching bullets. I shot ONE fouling shot off the target and then proceeded with this 3 shot group.View attachment 236282View attachment 236281a .114 group, with absolutely no load development. That’s unreal. For the 5th bullet I drove back to 500 yards, guesstimating the velocity at 3200 I entered some ballistics and was 1” off bullseye at 500. Still need to chrono, I just really wanted to test accuracy without something strapped to my barrel. Great first impression though!!View attachment 236283
This is amazing! Just curious, did you research the cutting edge bullets at all? If so, why did you choose Hammer instead?

Northpark

WKR
Yup pretty common theme with hammers. My .300 WM shoots the 199 hammers at 3060fps under half MOA.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
This is amazing! Just curious, did you research the cutting edge bullets at all? If so, why did you choose Hammer instead?
Yes I did look into them also. I think their 180gr. required a 1-7 twist and these hammer 177's required 1-8. Theres also quite of performance data of them on game animals which I also liked!
Yup pretty common theme with hammers. My .300 WM shoots the 199 hammers at 3060fps under half MOA.
Awesome!!

Don’t mind at all! It’s a custom build by Hells Canyon Armory out of Idaho. The owner, Mike, has the lightweight long range system pretty dialed in.
Very nice! Looks great and shoots even better! I've seriously been considering either taking a CA ridgeline bronze and putting a AG alpine hunter on it or buying HCAs tikka package where they take your tikka action, flute it then build a custom rifle around it. Looks like HCA barrels aren't too shabby!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Very nice! Looks great and shoots even better! I've seriously been considering either taking a CA ridgeline bronze and putting a AG alpine hunter on it or buying HCAs tikka package where they take your tikka action, flute it then build a custom rifle around it. Looks like HCA barrels aren't too shabby!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Dude that tikka upgrade package looks LEGIT! And yeah, his barrels shoot damn good. Everything I put through them is 1/2 MOA it seems like.

None of what I read from the OP surprised me at all. I shot the smallest group of my life with my flyweight Savage LW Storm and 131 Hammer Hunters during "load development" if you want to call it that. And they absolutely scream out of that rig. Turned my 7mm-08 into a short-action .270.

gmchenry

FNG
I run the 199 hammer hunter in my 300 Norman improved. 3340fps extremely accurate and they perform fantastic on game. Few of my buddies shoot them ranging from 260 Remington to 300 wsm with same results great bullets

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I run the 199 hammer hunter in my 300 Norman improved. 3340fps extremely accurate and they perform fantastic on game. Few of my buddies shoot them ranging from 260 Remington to 300 wsm with same results great bullets
Nice! Good to hear! Definitely looking forward to test them on some game in 2021!

Big338

FNG
Gmchenry, I have a 300 Norma improved and thought about shooting the 199.
I shoot the 230 Berger and 212 eldx.
Shot elk and deer from 100 to 900

What’s your longest kill and what was the animal?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've had similar results out of my kimber montana 308 with the 166g hammer and some H4895. It shot like that more or less right away.