Home built bow press.

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
With the Powermax, all I had to do was hold the chain with one hand and turn the turn buckle with the other. Super easy. With the Pro Defiant, I used a screwdriver through the chain and one in the turnbuckle. Again super easy. You don't have to tight too much and the strings are loose. The biggest issue and it wasn't a real problem was that the Powermax has a MBG sight with a dovetail and sticks out in front of the limb pockets by about a 1/2 inch. So I mde little stands out of wood to raise it up to clear the sight before strapping it down. Again no big deal. The bows are locked in a solidly secure. The arms and base have sticky back heavy duty felt on them like you put under heavy furniture on wood floors.

Last edited:
OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
OK. so I've had a chance to use it quite a bit. First take away is I love it. I did ditch the chain and turn buckle for a ratchet strap. Chain and turn buckle was slow and I would have needed a second to get enough travel to be able to change the strings. It worked great for installing a peep and rest cable. The kicker was when one of the welded links on the 300 lb test chain broke. It didn't break all the way but started to separate. All I had was cheap Harbor Freight ratchet straps so I will be updating that but they work. I didn't trust them for anything more than loosening the string a little to add twists to buss cable for tuning. For changing the string, I used two to be safe. Bottom line it works awesome. I have been tuning both bows now and have probably pressed them over 50 times to make quick tweaks. Don't know why I waited so long.

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
I think a 4:1 pull-ups system with a brake would be the ticket. Like those little paracord ones they use to lift elk up. You could make very precise adjustments both direction and depending on which rope system you end up with it will be way over kill.

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
OK. so I've had a chance to use it quite a bit. First take away is I love it. I did ditch the chain and turn buckle for a ratchet strap. Chain and turn buckle was slow and I would have needed a second to get enough travel to be able to change the strings. It worked great for installing a peep and rest cable. The kicker was when one of the welded links on the 300 lb test chain broke. It didn't break all the way but started to separate. All I had was cheap Harbor Freight ratchet straps so I will be updating that but they work. I didn't trust them for anything more than loosening the string a little to add twists to buss cable for tuning. For changing the string, I used two to be safe. Bottom line it works awesome. I have been tuning both bows now and have probably pressed them over 50 times to make quick tweaks. Don't know why I waited so long.
How do you let tension off using a ratchet strap? Doesn’t it slide loose instantly?

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
You pull the release on the handle and move it forward. Then let off the handle release and hold tension on the handle while releasing the ratchet and lower the handle slowly keeping tension on it. Then repeat until it is loose. Like it shows in the video but you just don't go all the way forward with the handle. I need a heavier one like in the video.
easy peasey

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
You pull the release on the handle and move it forward. Then let off the handle release and hold tension on the handle while releasing the ratchet and lower the handle slowly keeping tension on it. Then repeat until it is loose. Like it shows in the video but you just don't go all the way forward with the handle. I need a heavier one like in the video.
easy peasey
yeah, umm ive used ratchet straps before, just seems like a really sketchy way to release a pressed bow.

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
You just have to hold the pressure on the handle and let it down easy. On a related note, I have learned a long time ago to keep your finger or thumb off the ratchet release until you have let off of the handle release. I did this once while using the press and all it did was let the bow strings tighten real fast. The bow is strapped down to the bottom rail and the arms are heavy enough and leaned in so they didn't move and the bow didn't move. The only issue I have with using the ratchet strap is a heavier strap and ratchet. I have used the cheapo Harbor Freight one as a winch to get my truck unstuck in the snow before.

I've been thinking about building a press similar to yours out of 2x4 wood. There are a couple youtube videos showing different setups.

Do yall think the wood setup would be robust enough for repeated use?

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
I saw those in my searching. I'm not sure I would trust them as much as steel. I guess if they were made of good wood. It is a lot of stress.

I use a pipe clamp bow press with wooden jaws that I made. Works very well, but to change limbs I had to hold the compressed bow with my Bowmaster press and reset the pipe clamp jaws to complete the process of taking all the pre-load off the Prime Rival. Quick as heck to use the pipe press for peep installs. Cost me $5 for the hardwood to make the jaws as the neighbor gave me the 5' pipe clamp. Google "Pipe clamp bow presses "on AT for a long thread on them.

OP
87TT

87TT

WKR
I could change limbs I'm sure with the press I made as long as the ratchet strap was long enough. I just like how easy it works. I was tuning my bow yesterday after I found my timing was off. It probably takes me less that a minute to press it. It has opened up a whole new world being able to tune my own bow.