Home Gym Squat Rack Suggestions?

I am looking into getting a squat rack for my home gym that also has a built in pull up bar and has settings that my barbell can go low enough to do hip thrusts. I am only 5’2” and a lot of the ones I have seen online don’t go low enough for me. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
May find something on Craigslist while you're saving, but for the pullup bar up top and the ability to mount j-cups way low, you can't go wrong with the Rogue monster Lite stuff. $600 gets you the SML-3, 700 or so gets you a swing out wall mounted ML version.

Gotta be something similar in your price range though. Maybe Google 'Rogue SML-3 alternatives' and see what kinda rabbit hole that leads you down.

Good luck.

Moserkr

WKR
Titan fitness. Not top of the line but its affordable metal… I bought a cage from them for $300 5 years ago. Times have changed, not sure they make what you want but worth a look.

shiras

FNG
Titan fitness. Not top of the line but its affordable metal… I bought a cage from them for $300 5 years ago. Times have changed, not sure they make what you want but worth a look.
I came here to suggest Titan Fitness as well. It's a very popular brand, too, so they're always available on local classifieds. That's a good way to save money because the price will be substantially lower and it's very rare that someone's managed to damage a rack.

Rogue is also a great brand, but it's more high-end so you'll pay more for a similar setup.

shiras

FNG
Also, decide whether you want Westside spacing (1" spacing between the holes). It ensures that you can set the safety pins at the perfect height, and only some models have it. It isn't strictly necessary - I spent years using a cheap power rack with 3" spacing - but it's a great feature that's easy to overlook when shopping.

A $300 budget means that you'll have to find a deal on a used rack if you want a good brand, but I think you'll be able to. Here's one in SLC for $300:

LostArra

WKR
Fringe. I've got the rack shown above with spotter arms. I also added two large bolts for storing 45's. Works for me. If you are squatting over 400 I would recommend increasing your budget

$300

LostArra

WKR
Do you need a squat rack to do hip thrusts?

Maybe I'm just not familiar with the exercise but back when I went to a gym what I saw being done used a bench only. I just assumed they were doing hip thrusts with a barbell.

That said, a squat rack is handy.

bat-cave

WKR
I have a Rogue Monster Lite and am very happy with it and all of the options it provides. It's a bit over your budget, but you might consider something like this - https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rml-90slim-rack

I have a buddy that has one as he doesn't have the space to leave it setup all the time. Rep Fitness also has some decent options to consider. I also know of a couple of folks that bought a Yoke, that can double as a squat rack.

OP
andreadanielle87
Do you need a squat rack to do hip thrusts?

Maybe I'm just not familiar with the exercise but back when I went to a gym what I saw being done used a bench only. I just assumed they were doing hip thrusts with a barbell.

That said, a squat rack is handy.

I don’t have an Olympic size barbell. The one I have is a little bit shorter and lighter and the plates I use aren’t tall like normal plates so I can’t just roll the barbell over my lap and then use a bench to do hip thrusts. By the time I get all the weight on the barbell that I want it is really hard to lift it up and then get myself lowered down onto the bench and into position with the barbell balancing on my lap. If I can have the barbell loaded up on a squat rack I can get into position underneath it and then go. I hope that made sense :)

OP
andreadanielle87
Also, decide whether you want Westside spacing (1" spacing between the holes). It ensures that you can set the safety pins at the perfect height, and only some models have it. It isn't strictly necessary - I spent years using a cheap power rack with 3" spacing - but it's a great feature that's easy to overlook when shopping.

A $300 budget means that you'll have to find a deal on a used rack if you want a good brand, but I think you'll be able to. Here's one in SLC for $300:

Oh good point on the spacing! I wasn’t aware that there could be different variations. Thanks a bunch!

Vandy321

WKR
I don’t have an Olympic size barbell. The one I have is a little bit shorter and lighter and the plates I use aren’t tall like normal plates so I can’t just roll the barbell over my lap and then use a bench to do hip thrusts. By the time I get all the weight on the barbell that I want it is really hard to lift it up and then get myself lowered down onto the bench and into position with the barbell balancing on my lap. If I can have the barbell loaded up on a squat rack I can get into position underneath it and then go. I hope that made sense :)

If that's the main goal, hip thrusts, maybe just make a sandbag out of a duffle bag and roll that onto your hips. Use the flat bench to get the ROM you want. Cost ya $30 vs $300

*zap*

WKR
You can do glute bridge off the floor and use plates on your hips....if you do not have a bar. I think it is just as effective as off the bench. Good mornings are also a great exercise for hips/glutes/hams.

OP
andreadanielle87
If that's the main goal, hip thrusts, maybe just make a sandbag out of a duffle bag and roll that onto your hips. Use the flat bench to get the ROM you want. Cost ya $30 vs $300

Hip thrusts aren’t my main goal but I wanted to find a rack that could get low enough that I could do hip thrusts as well as doing pull ups, back squats, lunges etc.. all with a barbell on my shoulders.

Look for a used power rack. If you're patient you can find one for the same price as a standalone squat rack, they're much more versatile if you have the space and you can do max attempts in them safely without a spotter.