Home Gym Squat Rack Suggestions?

Several years ago I had a welder build me a squat rack for pennies on the dollar compared to what I would have had to pay for a name brand rack. Might be worth the look.

I do some metal fab myself, but once you factor in all the holes needing to be drilled, design, cutting, welding, powder coating…

You’re better off paying $500 and just picking up a couple side jobs. Your time is money.

LostArra

WKR
I do some metal fab myself, but once you factor in all the holes needing to be drilled, design, cutting, welding, powder coating…

You’re better off paying $500 and just picking up a couple side jobs. Your time is money.
^^^^^^^^^Exactly what my welding buddy told me.

willidru

WKR
Don’t know how good it is but fits need and budget. I know some of there other equipment is solid.

D9E4A5D1-03CB-47EF-B874-255AB6DC9E16.png

LostArra

WKR
I don’t have an Olympic size barbell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suggest you do some measuring of your bar before buying any squat rack. The distance between the uprights, typically 48", is based on a standard olympic bar (7'-7'2") with 52-54" between the sleeves. Your current bar may not fit properly on the J hooks or the pins depending on the style of rack.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I've never seen anyone hip thrust off the rack that wasn't a smith machine, to get set up right the jcups will be in the way, if the jcups aren't in the way you won't get it reracked easily. The low pegs are usually the height for floor presses or rack Pulls.

If you don't have a Olympic bar and plates yet I'd start there and then a squat stand and bench. But for garage gym gear I would at least start my search at Titan most the time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
I have that titan rack and it's served me well. One of the j hooks was bent enough to not work when received. They sent another without hassle.

ETtikka

WKR
Just a suggestion, any squat or combo exercise that can be done with one or two dumbells may be worth looking into.

A lot of rotator cuffs are destroyed with barbells, with the dumbells you can rotate to save your shoulders.

Fringe. I've got the rack shown above with spotter arms. I also added two large bolts for storing 45's. Works for me. If you are squatting over 400 I would recommend increasing your budget
I also have this rack. I bought it and the spotter arms on a Black Friday deal a few years back, and it has been a great setup for the price. Also, Fringe Sport has free shipping.

Take a look around locally and see if there is any equipment manufacturers. If you're willing to drive over and pick it up you can get some better deals. Rep fitness out of Denver used to have local pickup pricing that was better than the "free shipping" prices, because free shipping just means they lump the cost of shipping in withthe price - and weights are heavy.

I drew up the design I wanted and didn't need it powder-coated. This was 20 years ago, but it only cost me $100 for the full cage.
Steel prices are absurd now, though down from peak covid prices, I recently picked up a used Rogue rack pretty cheap. Decided to build some plate hangers rather than pay $55 a pair from rogue. I built 4 pairs, 6 foot of sch40 1.5 inch black pipe was $55 and hardware was another $40. The rest of material and paint was free but in the end it wasn’t a whole lot cheaper.