Home-Made Elk Scent

cnelk

WKR
Ive been making my own elk scent for a few years now.

I take the anal scent gland out of cow elk, freeze it so I can can use year after year.
When archery season comes around, I put some of the gland on the big end my bugle tube.
That way, when I bugle, it blows the scent in the air and the bulls cant resist it and come running in.

No need to worry about the wind when doing this. Its a great human scent cover scent too.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are we not supposed to be eating those glands? I thought we were supposed to use every bit of the animal??? No wonder bulls are constantly just about running me over.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
If you dont happen to shoot a cow elk, you can always follow a herd and watch when one cow will squat down and drag her ass across the leaves [similar to what a dog does on carpet] , run over and gather it up.

you can always follow a herd and watch when one cow will squat down and drag her ass across the leaves [similar to what a dog does on carpet] , run over and gather it up.

I prefer to roll around in it, but that's just me.

I also take out my extra shirt and rub it around the area, then stuff it in a plastic bag to lock the scent in. I keep that extra shirt ready for any high pressure stalking situations where the wind might give me up, that way I've got some fresh elk piss to cover up my own smell. You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore.

I have read that some hunters cut off the tarsal glands, and put them in a jar to be used later. I used to use the Elk scent in a bottle, and the scent eliminator spray on my clothes. Now I just watch the wind direction and hunt accordingly. I have not noticed any difference in seeing game or getting my elk.

wytx

WKR
We gather up the dirt where a cow has peed and use it for cover scent. You can smell the difference between a cow's pee and a bull's. Hot cow pee= good cover scent. Fresh droppings always get rubbed on the boots.

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
I have wanted to do this in the past, using elk pee or the anal gland, but have I have never been successful getting them. What I was forced to do to get the elk not to notice me is, I take my smelly work undershirts and under pants and hang them in trees throughout the area I want to hunt way before the season (6 months)

When the season gets here, I can walk around without worry of the elk smelling me. We will see how this season works out.

My ultralight technique is to store the scent in my prison wallet. That way free up space in my pack and I always have access to the scent without extra weight on my shoulders.

cmahoney

WKR
Doesn’t Primos sell a scented bugle tube? I know I saw it on one of their videos.you can’t go wrong with anything primos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I can't believe you posted this top secret tactic. What has this forum come to?!? Pretty soon some hoser will probably even sell out the last great jackalope spot.

I have wanted to do this in the past, using elk pee or the anal gland, but have I have never been successful getting them. What I was forced to do to get the elk not to notice me is, I take my smelly work undershirts and under pants and hang them in trees throughout the area I want to hunt way before the season (6 months)

When the season gets here, I can walk around without worry of the elk smelling me. We will see how this season works out.

That wouldn't work where I hunt. Most of the Elk are migratory, and weren't there last week, and won't be there next week. Unless you are just pulling a April 1st on us ; )