Home protection help

280Ackley

WKR
So we got the call yesterday that the state has selected us for adopting our two foster girls!! We have the permanency hearing on the 15th. At this court date they are more than likely going to terminate the bio moms rights. The problem is she knows where we live and has made a few comments that has me uneasy. I would like to build some sort of closet in a space behind my chimney next to my bed to hold my AR and shotgun. My gun safe is downstairs and not able to be moved. I was hoping to get some ideas on how to make it secure from the younger kids (16 months and almost 3) but still have quick access. Anyone have some ideas?!?!?

Last edited:

ZMT588

Lil-Rokslider
Get cameras that link up with your phone or to a monitor you can mount up in a hallway or what not. That way you can identify if the noise you hear is really a threat or not.

Check out the gun magnets (there's several options). When the kids are that small all you really have to do is mount it high enough on a wall or piece of furniture so they can't reach the guns & they're still readily available without having to screw with opening a safe.

I'm a believer that a handgun with fragmenting bullets is the best home defense and would personally get some type of bio or combination box that's specifically made for this.
I feel rifles and shotguns are too clumsy in a house and I want bullets that would penetrate walls and hit loved ones.

Congratulations;
Kudos on a plan for securing but having your fire arms available.
with kids I like something like the solo vault, by the time I was six I new where every gun in the house was hidden.
If you’re trying to hide something like the solo vault attach a pic of the area, I’ve built a few hide outs.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
We already do have the Google Nest camera on the front of the house and will be adding another to cover the back. I’ll check out some of these options. Thanks guys!!

First of all my heart goes out to you and the fostering you do. I would communicate with law enforcement on your concerns. Obviously prevention goes a long way in this kind of deal. Be very sure a firearm is needed if/when a confrontation presents itself. The last thing you want is the tables being turned against yourself. That being said a pistol is better in my opinion. Weapon retention, low light shooting, muzzle blast are all better in a home defense situation in my opinion. I prefer a magnet on the inside of a closet above the door up high. I recently have added wifi switched exterior lights. If there is a bump in the night, I can press a button on my phone and light up the complete exterior of my house.

You are waaaaay ahead of yourself. First secure your perimeter. Motion sensor lights and alarms, reinforce all entry points, get a dog or three. You don't wanna shoot the mother, you wanna secure your property. I was threatened during a deposition...the guy meant it. I had surveillance cameras installed everywhere (in and out) and got my CCW permit. If you protect your perimeter properly, the odds of needing to discharge a weapon (a final option) can be avoided. You can usually have the cops arrive long before entry is likely.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
All that is pretty much done. We live out in the country and it can take the sheriff a while to get here. I am not to worried about her but more about the crackhead guys she frequently hangs out with.

Felix40

WKR
My son is 5 and all I have to do is put the magazine on a high shelf. My rifle is just leaned up against the wall in the bedroom. You still have a lot of time to figure out a lockup system that will work for you.

Im in the same boat as you, not living in town. At night it will usually take 45 minutes to get a deputy to the house. Id rather not wait around when I could be dealing with things myself

bdg848

WKR
I'm a believer that a handgun with fragmenting bullets is the best home defense and would personally get some type of bio or combination box that's specifically made for this.
I feel rifles and shotguns are too clumsy in a house and I want bullets that would penetrate walls and hit loved ones.
If it reliably penetrates enough to reach vitals, it will penetrate through most of the walls in your house. I would also point out that every "swat" team in the country uses rifles indoors. A long gun is vastly superior in every way but conceal-ability. Aim a 16inch bbl ar15 and then extend and aim a pistol. Surprisingly, Both are about the same length.

bdg848

WKR
First of all my heart goes out to you and the fostering you do. I would communicate with law enforcement on your concerns. Obviously prevention goes a long way in this kind of deal. Be very sure a firearm is needed if/when a confrontation presents itself. The last thing you want is the tables being turned against yourself. That being said a pistol is better in my opinion. Weapon retention, low light shooting, muzzle blast are all better in a home defense situation in my opinion. I prefer a magnet on the inside of a closet above the door up high. I recently have added wifi switched exterior lights. If there is a bump in the night, I can press a button on my phone and light up the complete exterior of my house.
Long guns offer far superior ballistics and are unquestionably easier to shoot and get accurate hits. Thats very important for family members as well. They will all shoot a rifle better than a pistol. Consider all swat teams do entries with rifles not handguns.

RILEY L

FNG
Congrats on the adoption. I do windows and doors for a living. Harden your door hinges, latches and strikes with longer heavy duty screws and look into putting a security film on any windows or glass doors that are ground level. Those things should buy you more time on top of what you already have in place. I suggest listening to Episode 142 of ''Fieldcraft Survival'' podcast. The host, Mike Glover, is a former green beret and he goes into great detail on home security in that episode and he might cover an aspect you may have missed. In that episode he covers a lot of what others have said.