Home protection help

hodgeman

WKR
Congratulations!

Best advice- relax a little, get a dog, and put up some motion lights. Bio moms seldom present a physical threat and most of their boyfriends won't be too keen to risk a charge for somebody else's kids. By the time the court gets around to terminating rights, most bio moms have moved on down the trail of life. A bio mom who gives a crap and shows even a half assed effort almost never gets rights terminated.

Jauwater

WKR
I didn’t read all the posts so I dunno if someone has mentioned something like this. My buddy bought a coffee table at a flea market that has motion sensors on every corner. You basically have to touch these sensors, but once touched the top unlocks and you can lift the lid. Which he keeps an AR, and .45 in. There is a lock on it as well. There’s no brand name on it. I’m sure some dude made it in his garage. I bet there are wall hung units like that out there.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
So we got the call yesterday that the state has selected us for adopting our two foster girls!! We have the permanency hearing on the 15th. At this court date they are more than likely going to terminate the bio moms rights. The problem is she knows where we live and has made a few comments that has me uneasy. I would like to build some sort of closet in a space behind my chimney next to my bed to hold my AR and shotgun. My gun safe is downstairs and not able to be moved. I was hoping to get some ideas on how to make it secure from the younger kids (16 months and almost 3) but still have quick access. Anyone have some ideas?!?!?

Congratulations! I hope everything goes smoothly for you all. I used to have very very similar concerns. I worked undercover for about 5 years in a metro area law enforcement agency. Threats to my life and family were common by less than wholesome people.

I hardened the outside of my home by using the window film, motion lights, had wall safe in bedroom and by garage entry like this:

Viking Security Safe VS-52BLX Biometric Fingerprint Hidden Wall Safe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015QU2JGG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_inCIEbMKZR2V5.

Any home defense firearm must have a white light mounted on it or you should learn how to fire and operate the weapon while holding a flashlight. The reality is a baseball bat at the front door or bedroom is probably the best option for most folks. What would your wife use? Only answer the door for people you know. Do you or your wife leave doors or garage doors open/unlocked?

Best thing to do is probably take a couple reasonable precautions that will make you sleep better at night. If Bio-mom truly gave a single shit then a judge wouldn’t be anywhere near taking her rights from her. Rest easy.

Again, congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for dogs. Good advice on frangible or low penetration ammo. A handgun with glazers / Corbon blue is a good option. Birdshot. Frangible for the AR, although if you are slinging AR bullets you are in a hell of a gun fight and over penetration is a low order concern.

Consider adding a high quality light (Fan of surefire), a nonlethal option (spray is my preference: stun guns are tricky but no one likes getting maced) and 3x flex cuffs (bind hands while awaiting LEO) to you stash. For kids, I am a fan of small safes that are finger actuated. Maybe consider trigger locks as well.

Wellsdw

WKR
2nd the post above about bio moms talk. If she gave even the slightest damn she’d have her kids. Big fan of a dog and securing perimeter first and foremost, Over stashing guns. And I’m as pro gun as can be! Curious, we are also in the process of trying to foster..... what is your states stance on concealed carry permit? Our state (N.C.) does not allow with fostering according to the social worker.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m pretty sure you can own guns and have concealed in NC. My neighbors foster ill ask them.

I have a SecureIt "safe" 5 feet from by bed that can be opened in 5 seconds if I need in it. They are light weight and collapsable for putting on upper floors, I'm happy with the purchase.

I would never suggest hiding guns that are not actually locked away. Kids find things and only bad things can happen when they find a gun.

Congrats and kudos to you and your family for making a difference.
Dont forget to educate the 3yr old on the gun safety rules if they find a gun. Might be sticky for your situation however education that could go a long way in the future imo.

Wellsdw

WKR
I’m pretty sure you can own guns and have concealed in NC. My neighbors foster ill ask them.

Appreciate it,
Yeah gun ownership is pretty straightforward. Basically just secured was the requirement. It’s the concealed carry part that the social service worker said was prohibited in N.C.