Home range backstop

Randle

WKR
I just setup my archery range on my 5 acres and I want a backstop behind the longer range targets. I have a stall mat I picked up from a friend but that seems really thick and heavy. But It should really weatherproof. My question is . How hard on arrows will it be if I hit it? I am going to hang it on chains to two trees si there will be some give but will it damage arrows.?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've shot arrows into the mine conveyer belt that I use for a back stop without ruining the arrow. I'd think it would stick in the mat but not very far because it'll swing away absorbing some energy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Arrows are super tough to remove from stall mats in my experience. I have used straw bales and they work good but only last 1 year and make a mess when you want to get rid of them

mauiarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I have a stall mat for a back stop. Works well, doesn't hurt arrows but heavy as all get out and yes arrows are hard to remove.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
I just setup my archery range on my 5 acres and I want a backstop behind the longer range targets. I have a stall mat I picked up from a friend but that seems really thick and heavy. But It should really weatherproof. My question is . How hard on arrows will it be if I hit it? I am going to hang it on chains to two trees si there will be some give but will it damage arrows.?
If I was doing one, I would just do dirt mounds. Would take a lot of dirt.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I have painted OSB with a small roof and stall matt [I screwed it to a 2x4 on the top edge] in front of the OSB hanging from a cable. Pretty important the matt has some give. If you shoot into the OSB arrows pull easy...not so with layered plywood.

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Ok sounds like it works . I will give it a go. Thanks for the help

I have a stall mat back stop and it stops arrows well. Even broadheads, it was not hard on my arrows either.

copedog

FNG
I use a 3/4 mat from Tractor Supply. Get about 8-10 inch penetration, a little more for broadheads. I just take off the point/collar and pull them out. Not too hard to remove. It leaves a little residual black rubber on the arrow, but it wipes off or comes off when you hit where you are supposed to. :cool:

I made a hanger from 1 inch EMT and a couple triple 90 degree ends. Used some angle iron and close line hooks to hang with. I've taken it to group shoots since you can disassemble it pretty easy. It works well.

Copedog

daefdc0de271032bd2a60fd35efccf78.jpg

e5368c11513bbea00be008e854be74f0.jpg

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 3/4 mat from Tractor Supply. Get about 8-10 inch penetration, a little more for broadheads. I just take off the point/collar and pull them out. Not too hard to remove. It leaves a little residual black rubber on the arrow, but it wipes off or comes off when you hit where you are supposed to. :cool:

I made a hanger from 1 inch EMT and a couple triple 90 degree ends. Used some angle iron and close line hooks to hang with. I've taken it to group shoots since you can disassemble it pretty easy. It works well.

Copedog

e5368c11513bbea00be008e854be74f0.jpg

Do you have a link to the mat you used? This looks like a great setup.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider

Copedog

I like that idea,,gonna have to try it for our range here at the house,,,,thanks

I like that idea,,gonna have to try it for our range here at the house,,,,thanks

I ordered those 3 way hangers and set my stall mat backstop up today.

Only thing I would prefer would be if the angle of the brackets was more narrow so the legs would stand up more (making the backstop taller).

I'll see if I can figure out a way around that.

I'll post pics later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copedog

FNG
I had some extra EMT laying around so I used longer legs to get the mat to just hang off the ground.

Also used the clothes line threaded hooks so I could adjust the hang.

Bending the last 18 inches or so of the legs might work and shorten up the footprint for you guys that have limited shooting space.

Glad its working out. :)