Home Security Systems

Whisky

WKR
I am in need of a home security system. I know we have a diverse and probably a lot more experienced group here when it comes to this stuff then I'm used to. I have been naive and complacent and it recently costed me. So Im curious what kinds of systems people like, and costs associated with those.

My local cable company just got into security systems and I was going to go with a nice static IP exterior 3 cam system. Cams overlooking my drive way, garage and house entrance. I live in the countyr with no neighbors on about 19 acres...But in talking to local LEO an audible alarm and sensors sound like the way to go. So i added all that jazz to the cam system and now I'm looking at about 3k upfront for labor and equipment and $30/month after that from the local guys. I always like dealing local though. And the cam system really is high quality.

My other option was with a company called Vivent. $100 activation costs and then $60/month for a contracted 3.5 years. 2 cameras, all doors with sensors, 6 window sensors, wireless deadbolt, fire and CO2 detection...and they pride their selves on their "in house" monitoring.

Just wondering what the best way to go is....and if anybody has any experiences to share good or bad with Vivent or others.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Sounds expensive....

Granted, you often get what you pay for, especially with cameras. That said, there are options out there like simplisafe (no first hand experience) with no contract and lower monthly fees than the service you were quoted. We too had an immediate need for a home security system and have hardened our castle. Perimeter motion lighting, eight cameras (not enough!), fully monitored security system, improved locks, window security, etc, etc. Bottom line, it's more than just cameras and a security system. It's an entire home security assessment and corrective action in order to harden your structure. Lots of behavioral related changes necessary too. Those are free. Situational awareness and discipline are paramount. Been down a similar road and have done everything realistically possible to protect my family. Feel free to pm if and I'd be glad to help in anyway I can.

I worked in security systems years ago. I have a good friend that is in management for the company. He could get you a better deal than that for that type of system. PM if your interested and I can get him in touch with you. My time in security systems led me to believe that vivint was the clear winner in the industry.

I am currently looking at building a system for my parents as they move to a new house. In their current house they have had a traditional contracted and monitored system which has worked fairly well, but there are a few problems as I see it:

1) Costly monthly monitoring costs that you will never know what they actually do until you have a problem. I have read stories of companies that refuse to call the local police for you, but will call you directly.
2) This may be improved depending on which system you go with, but with the control panel they have you aren't notified when a wireless sensor is either running low on power or is dead.
3) This also may not be a problem, but their system required a traditional phone line and is the ONLY reason they kept their home land line.

So; as a more cost-effective solution for their next home I am looking at a custom system built around a home automation network. This has both advantages and disadvantages. Advantages include: Full home automation integration, no monthly costs if you choose to self-monitor (you can also add people to notify if you are on vacation; there are ), fully customizable and extensible (you can do things like automatically turning off your alarm when you open your garage door or if your phone comes within a block of your house). Disadvantages include: most systems don't have a battery backup and way of notifying you outside of high-speed internet (this can be mitigated with a UPS and some not-so pretty custom solutions), a bit of a learning curve especially for the technically challenged.

Cameras aren't much of a deterrent and the outdoor ones don't do you a whole lot of good if something did happen (because you can't get a good enough resolution to identify anyone). You are just as well off getting some dummy cameras for outdoors. As far as any cameras, I would get a high res wide angle near any of the main entry areas where someone may break in so that you do get an image of their face. Also, IMO window sensors are worthless and you are better off just blanketing your home with motion sensors, but it can be hard to find the right one if you have big pets so that it won't trigger.

There are systems like the Honeywell Lynx that offer the feel of a traditional security system with the option of self monitoring and full home automation. I plan on building the system based on the Samsung SmartThings Hub, but other options include the Piper NV, Almond 2015 and Wink. Most sensors and add-ons cost between $30-50 a piece while cameras can run you anywhere from $100-300. I have just begun to look, but here is my current list: http://amzn.com/w/1TZZ81ZROV6GQ

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
We have had a wired system at our forest cabin for years. Put it in right after a break-in the weekend OJ was buzzing down the interstate in a white Bronco. No kidding.
The monitoring fee is a pain and goes up every year but I have to say they do a good job. We have learned a few things. Once had a grouse blast threw a window in the winter. Alarm did not sound because motion sensors were too cold. We added glass breakage sensors. These work great and pick up the frequency range of shattering glass. Have not had an issue since I put the alarm system in and neighbors have. I think the decals and looking through a few windows and seeing the red LED on the sensors is a deterrent. I know this to be true since I once found my neighbors ladder against the cabin trying to reach the outside horn. They failed. I wish they would have reached it because cutting those wires also calls the Sherriff!

I will be interested in following this thread as I would like to add a system to my primary home, probably internet based self-monitored. My cabin system is very dated so can't offer much other knowledge.

I should add that I have a friend who the previous owners of his home added an 8 camera system to a 600 sqft house and while it seems to be a bit of deterrent it didn't stop a couple from stealing an Amazon package right off his front porch. He gave the footage to the police, but since both cameras are up in the corner of the house you can't really tell anything identifying from 30+ feet away.

A couple of months ago my boss purchased hd cameras for his house. Motion activated, sends info to his phone and an email when the cameras are activated. He can view a live feed from his phone, or a computer as well. He said getting the info to his phone or a computer costs $12yr. I will try to find out who he uses.

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
We have had a Vivint system for over 4 years, no complaints so far. All perimeter doors and windows armed, motion detector inside. App to control arming from your phone, also can check system status and windows, doors opened, time etc. if we are out of town and have someone tending the house we can check on the system from our phones which has proven useful.

Where I live, cameras are much more of a deterrent than an alarm system. Peoples alarms go off and it's minimum 40 minutes before anyone from the alarm company shows up, and the crooks know it. With some of today's high quality cameras (minimum 720P) you can have from good clarity and detail to down right excellent. I know a guy that has a system connected to his smart phone, along with a doorbell/camera/speaker. I got a call from him when he away on vacation, to turn off his water. From his phone he could see water flowing out of his house from a broken line in his slab. Granted a camera system won't stop every criminal, but they are more likely to be caught, and they know that too.

ST52v

WKR
A year and a half ago we moved into our new home and went with simply safe. I think we paid around $350 for all the equipment and $15 a month. We are very happy with it. I have set it off several times (ooppps) and our phone rang with in seconds every time.

Nemo

FNG
Does anybody know of a camera and recording device that would have sound detection as an option. I need to record barking dogs for, say, 2 minutes, and have time and date stamp. Any ideas? Having a heck of lot of wasted time researching this so far, either in trail cam or security systems.
Dave Nemo

Does anybody know of a camera and recording device that would have sound detection as an option. I need to record barking dogs for, say, 2 minutes, and have time and date stamp. Any ideas? Having a heck of lot of wasted time researching this so far, either in trail cam or security systems.
Dave Nemo
Many security systems include sound recording and two way communication.

TXCO

WKR
I use simplisafe and am pretty pleased. Easy to set up and real cheap monthly plus you own it outright. I had one motion alarm trip while out of town and they called us 2-3 times and then called the cops so their response was solid.

dtrkyman

WKR
Only one Ive ever used was a simply safe, couldn't tell you how good or bad it was other than it was simple and we never had any issue with it. Never had any break in attempts to see how good it worked or not?

Nemo

FNG
Still wondering if anyone knows of a unit that has sound detection, in other words sound triggers, to initiate the video recording.

3k sounds ridiculous to me. I have shopped a lot of companies years ago. They like to play up the fear factor to get you to open up your wallet. I like the diy approach, mainly because I am the only one with codes and access. A good security plan is covered by layers. Meaning several tools. I personally use Reolink for cameras. I recommend hardwire poe if possible. I have a Honeywell alarm. Both serve their purpose along with wifi activated exterior lights, and dogs...lol.

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody know of a camera and recording device that would have sound detection as an option. I need to record barking dogs for, say, 2 minutes, and have time and date stamp.
Blue Iris (paid) or iSpy (free open source) software for PC both do that. Just pick a compatible IP camera with a microphone.

CJohnson

WKR
+1 for simplisafe

I have LOREX cameras and they are fairly easy to install and use. I recommend the Power over Ethernet (PoE) cameras. All you have to do is take a cat5 cable to each camera and plug it in to the DVR. Connect to the internet and/or download the app and you’re in business. Probably looking at $800-900 for 8 cameras and the DVR.