Home shooting range

jbp7hl

FNG
Anyone put in a shooting range at their place? I’ve always been able to set up at about 100 yards but I’ve got the room to stretch it out a few hundred more. I’m just not sure how or what to build

I have a range sett up on the ranch. Steel every hundred yards to 1000,then 1250, 1500 and 1760. T-posts set 4 foot apart with chain between them. Gongs hang from chain or firehose from the crosschain. Notched 2x4 spreader between the posts

OP
J

jbp7hl

FNG
what’s the backdrop? Like if you miss.
We have cows, do you have a good backstop?

DESERT ED

FNG
I’ve been collecting tires and just started to build my backdrop. Plan is to stack tires in semi circular pattern and fill in with dirt and rebar. I just want a place to sight in without killing the neighbors cows.

OP
J

jbp7hl

FNG
that is a good idea. I saw a home range where they cut into a small hill and buried telephone poles vertical (not sure how deep they were buried) and then placed poles horizontal behind them

good backstops are important.......grin
IMG_0345.JPG

I technically have two ranges:

At my house, I have 175yds from my back porch to the base of my woods. There I have Railroad ties set in a wide V with dirt filling up to about 5ft. I'd like to move that set just into my woods and make the berm more like 7-10ft.

At my dads farm (1/4 mile down the road), set on the corner of his field I made a berm out of old tires with t-posts and fill and surrounded by dirt. This berm is about 5-6ft tall. Behind this berm is a 10 acre woods and 1.5miles before you hit any other home (google maps).

How big are you guys making your berms? I work at a tree service, so I also planning on bringing a big load of logs to help reinforce the back and cut down on the amount of dirt I need.

Fordguy

WKR
Just reading through to see what others have done. I started out by building a layered berm. First layer was 2x4 in front of 7 inches of sandy clayish dirt. Second layer was 3 ft of sand, followed by 3 feet of dirt, followed by a triple layer of bagged dirt to hold everything in place. I have sheets of old ply wood around the exterior of the berm just to check for holes- nothing has ever made it through. Last week, after roughly a year of use I pulled the boards in front of the 7 inch dirt section to rebuild and make it thicker. I also wanted to see how many bullets made it past the dirt into the sand. The barrier between the sand and 7" dirt section is plywood so I'd be able to see how many bullets made it through. Surprisingly about half of the bullets were stopped by the first 7 inch layer of dirt. I'm rebuilding that layer now and making it 24" thick. Rounds fired into the berm ranged from anemic 22 lr to some much larger high powered rounds. Max distance at this range is 150 yards. Wondering if anyone else has checked to see how far their bullets penetrate into their backstop?