Homemade archery target

Blandry

WKR
Are the poured foam/high fps targets just out of our reach for a reasonably low price, portable target I can carry to home, field, work wherever? Buying a couple of $200 targets every few years seems idiotic if I could just make some.

they are a bag style, 2 finger arrow pulls are a nice change from the other self healing foam style I have

bulldogs are not cheap though, maybe someone will weigh in on how they hold up
2nd edit, I looked into making a huge self healing foam and the foam guy said it would’ve really heavy/not be portable, having said that the 3’x3’ I bought is too heavy to move around as well. I’m going to make a enclosed cart to wheel around in my yard

Last edited:
OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I'm going to try those. haven't yet.. it gets more expensive to buy targets than all the other fancy archery stuff :)

My issue is I have targets at home, I carry a few in my vehicle, I use one at the outdoor ranges etc. I also have a backyard shooting at my home, my girlfriends home.

just wondering if one could be constructed at home w/o paying the money for these top $ targets.

Last edited:
OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Just went and bought another large block target from sportsmens warehouse. $180 with my rebates but damn.. you'd think you could make something a lot cheaper and still as portable. maybe not.. I mean these guys obviously know what they're doing and it wouldn't be profitable if something else was easily made at home.

My 590gr 16% FOC, 4mm easton long range arrows with a ironwill field point are burying into this thing about 4'' from the fletch at 280fps from a hoyt rx4 turbo 73#'s and they easily retrieve.

I'd guess it would take a considerable construction to beat that. I've asked a lot of local guys about target construction but they all say... it won't stop your arrows.

I've tried a bunch of store bought cheaper targets that say they will stop 300fps even down range but the small diameter, heavy arrows maintain speed down range and zip right through.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
My wife and I use four bales of hay on top of a pallet and cinched down with two tie downs..Use cut up boxes with NRA target on em...Total cost, 8 bucks for the bales, had the ties downs and grabbed the pallet from a house under construction's dumpster..of course its not portable..

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
My wife and I use four bales of hay on top of a pallet and cinched down with two tie downs..Use cut up boxes with NRA target on em...Total cost, 8 bucks for the bales, had the ties downs and grabbed the pallet from a house under construction's dumpster..of course its not portable..

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I'm going to have a much larger place in a few months and will probably set up a 3D range on the property so it will be a moot point. Just really didn't want to buy another $200 SEVR poured foam or something else cheaper that wouldn't work if I could easily cinch some old carpet pieces together.

I really like this Block Infinity 20 6 sided target. It's quite a bit lighter than the SEVR and the same size.. packing that thing around sucked. I can haul this one with one hand 100 yards downrange without having to carry it on my shoulder like the SEVR. That thing's a beast...

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Bull Dog Double Dog target earlier this year. I have about 3500 shots into it and just recently turned it around to shoot the other side. It is a field point only target. I haven't picked up the rebuild kit, but will probably be ordering it by the end of the year to rebuild the target. I've left it outside all summer in the Arizona heat/sun and it's held up perfectly fine.

I picked up a Morrell High Roller target for broad heads and that seems to be holding up. I only have about 100 shots into it. It stops a 510g arrow going 270fps with an Iron Will broad head. I do take this target inside as I'm trying to have it last so I'm not replacing a broad head target every year.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
I'm going to give the bulldog a try next. It seems like I on their emailing list at one time, they had some good rebates and free shipping.

I was considering the morrell high roller large but it wasn't available in store and I wanted something Sat morning to carry up to the foothills for the day. This block infinity is just as large and while not a self healing foam, seems like its going to hold up to a bunch of shots using all 6 sides. I owned a few blocks that I left outside and they delaminated. I'll take better care of this one.

I have 3 SEVR's large self healing that I got on blemished rebate and they're holding up great, just a bear to pack around. I'll prob strap them together to make a non-portable home target when I have the space.

I like the rebuildable construction of the bag types. I'm going to try the bulldog next.

I like how this guy painted the block infinity white with black dots.. I'll prob do that after a few hundred shots. It's BIG and LIGHT (25lbs) which I like. The SEVRS are the same size but about 10lbs heavier.

I'm sure the block won't last like the closed cell poured foam but it is was it is...it's light and easily packed around various places.

My arrows are also burying down like his damn near to the fletch but that's ok. They pull out easy. I wouldn't want to use this thing for crossbow but its handling about as fast and heavy an arrow any vertical bow can release now days.

Attachments

• 6b74cf34-4172-564a-92c2-32b3d6486b0f.jpg
    6b74cf34-4172-564a-92c2-32b3d6486b0f.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend the bulldog target. I've only had it one summer but it is absolutely amazing for field points.

If you want a DIY of the same type, look at third hand archery. He sells the faces that you basically stuff with old clothes sheets etc.

OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Some guy in bulldogs comments said he shot the bulldog with a Ravin 500 xbow and it stopped it.. pretty amazing being the target is only rated for 350fps.

What kind of material is inside those things? Some kind of polyester mesh like ratchet strap material the arrows push through?

I'm imagining this type of material in multi layers https://www.showmecables.com/flexo-...2AYCmG0Hab0_LjUdjfhsAojduUTAvbCxoCHKUQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
OP
Blandry

Blandry

WKR
Looks like those bulldogs are pretty nice.. reading the other comments on them.

purchased my bulldog archery target because I was sick of replacing my old targets every year. These targets seem like they will last forever. I shoot every day and my bulldog target looks and acts brand new. I shoot ~509g arrow at 280fps and I can shoot my bulldog target at 10 yards and still pull the arrows out with two fingers (blew my mind).

GWHunter

FNG
Check out the Third Hand archery target faces. You build the box yourself and pack it full of old clothes. I have a kit that I just haven't put together yet, but the reviews seem really good. Not light weight once complete but they also have some bag target that don't look too bad.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
9B87A777-CD80-4764-AD3A-0ADE3B0A42A6.jpegLarge moving box stuffed with used shrink wrap from local electrical supply house. Cost $15 and will last about 2 years till I have to replace the box. Just reuse the shrink wrap

Werty

WKR
I had a second hand store save all there bad shirts, filled a grain sack 5 or 10 bucks.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Third Hand Archery. I built a 4'x4'x18" with his skins. Went around to all of the local hotels and asked if I could have any linens they were going to pitch. Works awesome. Easily stops ~620 gr arrows from a 75# bow. Arrows don't even go in halfway. Now that thing aint portable, but I think he sells a bag style target you can fill.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for a Bulldog target. The thing has been great just don't try moving too far by yourself.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 365 archery target 1 year and 3 months ago. Kinda a cool system with replaceable center part that you actually shoot. I have the 24"x24" version and it is surprisingly light and easy to carry around for its size. I don't keep track of how many arrows I shoot but its probably around 100 per week year round and just had to order my first replacement center. Whole target was originally $200 and the replacement cubes are $70. It has held together really well until I started shooting a lot of broad heads into it before this hunting season. That being said I use Qad exodus swept heads which when pulling back out act like a barb and grabs big chunks of foam so not really the targets fault.