Homemade breakfast/snack bars recipes?

trkyslr

WKR
Let's see them and why you make them your way. Looking for a recipe to make for my backcountry elk trip in Montana. I'm looking for one that's full of calories, protein, some good carbs, and pure energy...

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
My wife replicated something called Aussie bites that you purchase at Costco. These little guys are very tasty:)
2 cups of oats
2 cups of whole wheat flour
2/3 cup of brown sugar
1 1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup of raw sunflower seeds
1 cup of finely chopped dried fruit, apricot and white raisens
1/4 cup of ground flax seed
1/4 cup of honey
2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons hot water
3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup slivered almonds

Mix all dry ingrediants except baking soda. Melt honey and butter together in microwave. Add baking soda and hot water to honey and butter mixture.
Pour butter mixture over dry ingrediants. Add beaten eggs and mix well.

Bake in nonstick muffin pan at 350 degrees, 10-20 minutes until golden brown and cool on wire rack.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
We bake a bunch and them freeze them. The longest I have had them out of the refrig is 4 days. With no preseratives I would say 5 days may be the max.

Martin

FNG
Hey Ross its a fantastic recipe and i really like it. Snacks are also my favorite food in breakfast so i will try to make this recipe today. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

SDHNTR

WKR
Dump a small pile of steel cut or rolled oats and chopped up almonds/peanuts into a glass baking dish, sometimes I add some flax seeds too. Toss in some raisins and/or dried cranberries. Add in a scoop or two of whey protein powder. Add a little salt. Melt a cup of peanut butter in the micro and add to mix. Press it all together firmly into the glass dish to your desired thickness. Drizzle agave syrup or honey over the top.

Put in 350 deg oven for about 10-12 minutes to toast the oats and melt the goodness throughout. Then put in fridge overnight to harden. Then cut into serving sized bars and wrap in saran whrap or put in sandwich baggies.

tstowater

WKR
Dump a small pile of steel cut or rolled oats and chopped up almonds/peanuts into a glass baking dish, sometimes I add some flax seeds too. Toss in some raisins and/or dried cranberries. Add in a scoop or two of whey protein powder. Add a little salt. Melt a cup of peanut butter in the micro and add to mix. Press it all together firmly into the glass dish to your desired thickness. Drizzle agave syrup or honey over the top.

Put in 350 deg oven for about 10-12 minutes to toast the oats and melt the goodness throughout. Then put in fridge overnight to harden. Then cut into serving sized bars and wrap in saran whrap or put in sandwich baggies.

Sounds good but I don't know if I measure a "small pile", "some", "little" and "drizzle" the same as you. Could you give me a little closer idea of what you are adding, please.

Thanks, Todd

SDHNTR

WKR
I was afraid of that, ha! I never measure stuff when cooking. Sorry.

I usually use a glass baking dish that I think is 9x11" and the bars end up about 2-2.5" thick.

Call it 1 cup of oats and one cup of chopped nuts. Then maybe 1/4-1/3 cup of flax seeds. Maybe 2/3-1 cup of raisins or other dried fruit. A scoop of Protein powder is probably two heaping tablespoons. Maybe a teaspoon of salt. A good solid cup of peanut butter (enough to fully mix into the mixture), add more, if needed. Then use maybe 1/4 cup of agave syrup (more if you have a sweet tooth).

You can add and tweak this any which way. It's pretty hard to mess up. Sometimes I'll add sunflower seeds, apricots, apples, cinnamon, etc. What ever sounds good to you. If all else fails, as I'm making it I will jam a spoonfull of the mess into my piehole just to see how it tastes and if it needs anything else. Just wing it.

rhendrix

WKR

Gonna try to make these tomorrow. If I have the time I'll post the nutritional info as well.