Homemade knives

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
Couple of file knives. Made out of a big ol halfround file I found in a pawn shop for $1
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How are you drilling holes for the pins in that file? I have ruined a lot of drill bits trying to do that in knives I’ve made from files and just end up epoxying handles on. I have probably 15 files and rasps and another 25 or so planer/jointer/hand plane blades that I’d like to make knives from but don’t want to unless I can put pins in them. Really nice knives by the way!

Last edited:

larsencole

Lil-Rokslider
How are you drilling holes for the pins in that file? I have ruined a lot of drill bits trying to do that in knives I’ve made from files and just end up epoxying handles on. I have probably 15 files and rasps and another 25 or so planer/jointer/hand plane blades that I’d like to make knives from but don’t want to unless I can put pins in them. Really nice knives by the way!
I anneal the file. Heat it up to around 1600F and then let it cool down as slow as possible. I usually just leave it in my forge when I'm done with the hammer work, shut the gas off, and walk away. Takes about 45 minutes to cool down to where I can handle it. The files usually drill fairly easily then. But afterwards you gotta re-heat treat the blade.
If you don't have a forge you can anneal most carbon steels using a torch and a bucket of vermiculite.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I anneal the file. Heat it up to around 1600F and then let it cool down as slow as possible. I usually just leave it in my forge when I'm done with the hammer work, shut the gas off, and walk away. Takes about 45 minutes to cool down to where I can handle it. The files usually drill fairly easily then. But afterwards you gotta re-heat treat the blade.
If you don't have a forge you can anneal most carbon steels using a torch and a bucket of vermiculite.

Thanks for the explanation. I've just been buying annealed blanks and then mailing off for heat treat. I may try the torch and vermiculite method for my stuff on hand.

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see some others work!
Here are a few I've completed during quarantine
03f74ed4bd4dddf2b070679a45d221eb.jpg
48acbc037e9d157e35916472b7f0e39a.jpg
e8be8d2a8173cdf56f7f482ae86c54ca.jpg

I love the one with the elk sheath, the handle kind of looks like fur.