Homemade Tent Stoves?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Working on a model of my own tent stove with a buddy. Its on the bigger side though. Gonna be roughly 3400 cu in, but hoping it'll be sub 5 or 6 pounds for my motorized hunts where a bigger shelter is a non-issue anyways. Hopefully in a couple months I'll know if it is going to work or be a complete pipe dream we had while out hunting one trip....time will tell.

I to looked into it and actually started gathering some of the materials, watched some you tube videos, then decided on ordering a stove for my para-tipi zfrom kifaru and am very happy they have the stove end of things dialed.

dotman

WKR
I have seen a few home made versions similar to a ti-goat. You can get supplies from ti-goat and use snow peak ti plates and then the ti foil for the body and pipe.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There was a guy on 24hour a while back who made one based on Ed's earlier roll up protos. Didn't look too hard, and I bet it would work fine.

I've made a few,what size shelter are you wanting to heat ? Where would you typ. use it ?In the P. N. W. on the west side I think you want a larger volume stove box than you would where there is allot of bone dry wood to be had
Tim

For a tipi in cold weather I've made a couple out of s.s. stock pots .Just find one(6-12 quart) with a relatively flat metal lid,rivet the lid on,flip it over,cut a door on the side and cut a hole in the top(when flipped).You can put stuff in it when packing in,and its nice that you don't need to assemble much to get a fire going.
Tim

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Do a google search for "hardcorehunter roll up stove" a guy built asimilar to tigoat cylinder stove. I bought the parts but havent put it together yet.

I made one last year that worked pretty good. The body of the stove is .008 in. stainless steel shim stock and the pipe is .004 in. The ends of the stove are metal bucket lids that I found at work. They are about 11.5 inches in diameter. The stove is 16 inches long. I wanted a cylinder stove with more volume for longer burn times without stoking. I can actually put small logs in. It does not boil water very fast, about 10 minutes for two cups. The biggest drawback to this stove is it weighs about 4.5 lbs. I make my buddy carry it. I bought the materials at McMaster Carr. Here is a video of it in action. http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=vb.100002868557773&type=2

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 120