Status
Not open for further replies.

FLATHEAD

WKR
My son went to a Private, Christian school through 9th grade which
was about the time Covid hit.
He has been home schooled since then.
No regrets on either choice.
No way I would have my child in today's "woke", indoctrinating public school system.

Mojave

WKR
My cousin was going to be one of those kids that shot up his hometown school. He was fat/gay/weird/insert other inappropriate action word here, and heavily bullied.

He brought a gun to school in 2002, was already 18 and then spent the next 9 months in some kind of incarceration. Didn't grow up in the same state, and didn't really every know him as by 2002 I was 33 and over half way to retirement in the military.

His dad was the biker gang type, and my aunt was a biker groupie. Aunt died a couple of years ago, overdosed at 58.

Hard case, and no parenting.

Now he cleans Walmart floors from about midnight until 8 am.

Goal in life is to keep my own daughters away from kids like that in a public setting with no police officers. Or in the case of our most recent Texas murder and mayhem. Police officers that are cowards.

A lot of homeschoolers end up being married to home schoolers.

I realize at some point they are going to need to be exposed to society, but unless you trust the school and staff where they are going. 6, 8, and 10 is too young from them to be taken from us that way.

Good thing there isn’t any indoctrination happening with home schooling.
There's nothing inherently wrong with indoctrination ("instructing in doctrine"). What really matters is the doctrine being taught. Most parents are content to delegate the choice of doctrine being taught to their children 180 days a year to others (local school boards, state/federal education bureaucracies, etc). Homeschoolers take personal responsibility for the choice of doctrine taught to their children.

Last edited:
Stop calling them public schools.

They are funded by the government.
They are run by the government.
The are regulated by the government.
The curriculum is chosen by the government.
They are government schools.

This couldn't be any more evident than the present time when the government titles people from the PUBLIC who try to provide input to the school board as domestic terrorists.

I am just going to say it - home schooled kids are a little off socially, some are worse than others. Parents who shelter their kids from the world don’t do them any favors. They are going to have to live in it eventually. If their teachers and friends are having a greater influence on them than their parents, you need to take a step back and evaluate your parenting, not become their teacher. I have watched my two kids, now 15 and 17 navigate public and charter schools with my wife and I’s help and they have done an excellent job. 4.0 students, son plays baseball and golf, daughter is the student body VP and plays golf. Kids are resilient and were built for todays world. Plus, Home schooled kids are just off…Case and point - i coach my son’s travel ball team and there is a socially awkward kid on the team. I tell my wife, I bet he is homeschooled…,sure enough, he is.

Having said that, I believe as parents we have the right to screw up our kids however we want. Mine aren’t perfect and I have made some mistakes. Don’t believe for a second that there won’t be unintended consequences, socially and otherwise by homeschooling.

If you really want to make a difference stand up to the school board and be more active in whats going on in your school district.

CoStick

WKR
I am just going to say it - home schooled kids are a little off socially, some are worse than others. Parents who shelter their kids from the world don’t do them any favors. They are going to have to live in it eventually. If their teachers and friends are having a greater influence on them than their parents, you need to take a step back and evaluate your parenting, not become their teacher. I have watched my two kids, now 15 and 17 navigate public and charter schools with my wife and I’s help and they have done an excellent job. 4.0 students, son plays baseball and golf, daughter is the student body VP and plays golf. Kids are resilient and were built for todays world. Plus, Home schooled kids are super weird…Case and point - i coach my son’s travel ball team and there is a socially awkward kid on the team. I tell my wife, I bet he is homeschooled…,sure enough, he is.

Having said that, I believe as parents we have the right to screw up our kids however we want. Mine aren’t perfect and I have made some mistakes. Don’t believe for a second that there won’t be unintended consequences, socially and otherwise by homeschooling.

If you really want to make a difference stand up to the school board and be more active in whats going on in your school district.
I would mention it seems crazy to me that parents are not aware of what their kids are learning. Just all of a sudden during a pandemic they started to pay attention to their kids education?

I would mention it seems crazy to me that parents are not aware of what their kids are learning. Just all of a sudden during a pandemic they started to pay attention to their kids education?
Great point - blows my mind as well. Our dinner discussions have always revolved around what they learned at school. We have a pretty good relationship where they would bring up weird stuff teachers or kids said or did. Gave me a chance to make some corrections and in some instances have a heart to heart conversation with their teachers and principals. You can’t control your kids forever, you teach correct principles and pray they make good choices in the real world and realize making mistakes is part of the journey. I should add, as of right now both of my children have conservative values, both love the outdoors and hunting and shooting. They go to church every week etc. none of that has to do with the public school system they are a part of.

bbell

WKR
Those times sitting around the table discussing life are so key. Whether public schooled or homeschooled its so important to have those conversations and talk with your kids.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There are religious ones and non-religious ones.

Some states will pay for the non-religous one.

We use Bob Jones because the interface and teaching style is exceptional. I am Catholic and a biologist by education but not by trade. I do not agree with their science program, as the default is always "because God said it was this way". It is very Southern Babtist in that the Earth is 4500 years old or something like that. Other than that goofy part, it is the best system I have seen. For 3 kids it cost about $4000 a year using their online portal, and their videos. You can buy just the books and DIY it if you want to. I recommend their videos and portal.

My wife was a professional certified master teacher certified in several states. She picked this one. I do not know what other ones she tested. There were 5-6 in the house over the past 5 years.

There is a Mormon one called the "bold and the beautiful" or something like that. I do not know if indoctrinates your kids into LDS or not. We never tried it. I think the price is very low.

There was not a good quality Catholic one when we started, maybe there is now.

We used Abeka initially, and it isn't for us. They video tape a class of kids and the kids have to stand up to answer or ask a question. Reminded me of the youth of Hitler videos.

Bob Jones is similar to watching Captain Kangaroo or Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Except they pus the kids really hard. We like it.

I honestly can’t think of anything more terrible for a kid than a Mormon homeschool program.

Mormons are the craziest of the religious crazy people.

Mojave

WKR
We live in a rural town in New Mexico. Still liberal New Mexico.

There is no such thing as adjusting the principal or teacher. You can barely adjust your kids in this state.

We filed a police report and pressed charges against a 14 year old girl who beat up our 6 year old on the playground. Caused s lot of problems for us. Liberal states suck.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I grew up in an area where home schooling was very very popular. Probably 8 or 9 out of 10 kids were socially awkward, entitled, and didn’t think basic rules applied to them. Especially in group settings when they finally got a tiny break from home life and “broke free” for that few hours.

This trend continued from when I was growing up in the 90s until I quit being a youth leader in 2018. Boy Scouts, church youth groups, summer camps, house boat trips, building projects… Always the worst kids were the “home schooled” ones.

Depriving kids of basic social interaction and learning because you are scared of “politics” and “school shootings” is a terrible disservice to your children in my opinion.

Might as well not vaccinate them for basic preventable diseases as well, and keep them locked in your basement forever. When you go out in public be sure to wrap them up in bubble wrap so they don’t scrape their knee or elbow.

Question. Whose kid is it anyway ? The government or the parent ? Seems like more " indoctrination " (social engineering) than "education " going on in government schools these days. Didn't take the time to look up stats ,but I'm sure there's some alarming numbers of countries ahead of us in the 3R's. Whatever someone decides if so inclined try to put a good foundation under your kids cause they certainly will be exposed various (imo) unhealthy viewpoints. Sad to have to "de-program " your kids at the supper table and yes someday they will have to make their own decisions.

bdg848

WKR
I grew up in an area where home schooling was very very popular. Probably 8 or 9 out of 10 kids were socially awkward, entitled, and didn’t think basic rules applied to them. Especially in group settings when they finally got a tiny break from home life and “broke free” for that few hours.

This trend continued from when I was growing up in the 90s until I quit being a youth leader in 2018. Boy Scouts, church youth groups, summer camps, house boat trips, building projects… Always the worst kids were the “home schooled” ones.

Depriving kids of basic social interaction and learning because you are scared of “politics” and “school shootings” is a terrible disservice to your children in my opinion.

Might as well not vaccinate them for basic preventable diseases as well, and keep them locked in your basement forever. When you go out in public be sure to wrap them up in bubble wrap so they don’t scrape their knee or elbow.
I've had the exact opposite experience. A) there are homeschool co-ops where you collaborate with other parents and it's essentially private education but from a perspective that isn't debased and degenerative. The kids have plenty of social interaction with other kids their age. B) awkward kids, I believe, are a product of awkward parents. Normal, well adjusted kids are the product of Normal well adjusted parents. There are plenty of awkward kids in the public system. I went to public school, my wife was homeschooled, my best friend was homeschooled, they are both pretty normal and well adjusted. And anyway, the the point I always hear is "they won't be like all the other kids" but that's kind of the whole point...

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

Homeschooling is not the problem, the parents are. Those same parents would raise entitled turds even if the kids attended public school.

If you believe there are no awkward kids in public school, then you have lived in a true utopia.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If those kids are being deprived of social interaction, then that's the parent's fault. Not all home-schooled kids are forced to live 100 miles from civilization in the backwoods with no interaction with society.

Status
Not open for further replies.