Homeschooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a parent started working for change the day their child entered public school, is it reasonable to expect that said change would occur quickly enough to make a difference in that child's life?
I think if enough parents came together and started working for change the answer is yes. 100% yes.

Could you imagine being such a weak adult that you couldn't un indoctrinate a child who comes home spouting some nonsense? My kids and their friends do it all the time and we correct them- it's called parenting.
Bonus points if you can argue both sides and teach them that most things aren't absolute.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I made this same point several posts ago. When my daughter got to middle school her friends and teachers had all sorts of crazy liberal opinions. We live in a really conservative state, so I was a little surprised. It gave us something to talk about around the dinner table and gave me an opportunity to talk about my conservative point of views and even give them some resources to read. My kids are both super conservative now and great, well rounded kids that fight their own battles and aren’t afraid to debate or call out liberal nonsense. Kids don’t need their parents to be their teachers and their education, they need them to be their parents.

amassi

WKR
I made this same point several posts ago. When my daughter got to middle school her friends and teachers had all sorts of crazy liberal opinions. We live in a really conservative state, so I was a little surprised. It gave us something to talk about around the dinner table and gave me an opportunity to talk about my conservative point of views and even give them some resources to read. My kids are both super conservative now and great, well rounded kids that fight their own battles and aren’t afraid to debate or call out liberal nonsense. Kids don’t need their parents to be their teachers and their education, they need them to be their parents.
Bingo

There's a saying like if your young and republican then you don't have a heart, old and democrat then you don't have a brain.

I think it's natural for kids to be drawn to emotional touchy Feely garbage and equally natural to want to explore points of view other than their parents.

But if you've been laying a strong parental groundwork then it isn't hard to lay out facts and logic and showing them the reality of the society we inhabit.

Bbell12

WKR
If you still think only one political class indoctrinates youth you are gravely mistaken.
If your children believe the state over their parents then yes, you are a weak adult and lack parenting skills.

Yes, both sides indoctrinate, that’s true. One side happens to indoctrinate with truth and the other with lies.

The fact still remains that liberals use public education (from pre-K through higher ed) to indoctrinate and spread their ideology because, despite good parenting, it works.

amassi

WKR
Yes, both sides indoctrinate, that’s true. One side happens to indoctrinate with truth and the other with lies.

The fact still remains that liberals use public education (from pre-K through higher ed) to indoctrinate and spread their ideology because, despite good parenting, it works.
You literally Can Not indoctrinate with truth.
Truth= education
Indoctrination = emotional plea

"Liberals " teach a curriculum that comes from textbooks.
Textbooks are written to the higher Market
Florida and Texas (not liberal bastions) essentially write the curriculum for the rest of the country.

So no liberals aren't making your kids gay communists.

bbell

WKR
So what I’m gathering is some of guys you believe that homeschooling is wrong and shouldn’t be allowed?

Bbell12

WKR
You literally Can Not indoctrinate with truth.
Truth= education
Indoctrination = emotional plea

"Liberals " teach a curriculum that comes from textbooks.
Textbooks are written to the higher Market
Florida and Texas (not liberal bastions) essentially write the curriculum for the rest of the country.

So no liberals aren't making your kids gay communists.

The textbooks in TX come from Austin, which is a liberal bastion. You’re wrong once again.

And no, education does not equal truth. If that were true, liberals who become highly educated wouldn’t be liberals anymore.

It’s amazing to me that on the same forum we have people who absolutely will not relinquish control over their firearms to the government (rightfully so) but are somehow okay with the government controlling the education of our children and will go as far to say that the parent shouldn’t exercise their liberty over how their child is educated. Hypocrisy at its finest.

amassi

WKR
The textbooks in TX come from Austin, which is a liberal bastion. You’re wrong once again.

And no, education does not equal truth. If that were true, liberals who become highly educated wouldn’t be liberals anymore.

It’s amazing to me that on the same forum we have people who absolutely will not relinquish control over their firearms to the government (rightfully so) but are somehow okay with the government controlling the education of our children and will go as far to say that the parent shouldn’t exercise their liberty over how their child is educated. Hypocrisy at its finest.
You don't know what you don't know. Austin prints them, they don't decide their Content. That's decided by the Ed dept of Texas. Florida and CA. You can read all about it, you won't believe any of it cuz FaKeNeWz.

amassi

WKR
So what I’m gathering is some of guys you believe that homeschooling is wrong and shouldn’t be allowed?
Not at all I think homeschooling is a vital part of American society and should be protected and supported at all cost.

Not at all I think homeschooling is a vital part of American society and should be protected and supported at all cost.
Especially considering some homeschoolers have more intelligence and capability than any mere professional teacher could even aspire to, at least by their own humble estimation.

WCB

WKR
My kids are home schooled. My wife works part time, I work full time. Not to be arrogant, but we are smarter, more capable, and care more than any public school union jockey ever could be.

With home schooling, you just have to know people will judge you and not care about anything they think.
? you sure you are "smarter more capable and care more than "any" public school union jockey ever could"? You can not clam no arrogance and make a statement like that. You obviously have not spent any time around quality teachers.

p.s. I despise unions in general and education unions probably the most...however doesn't mean that every member is in lock step with them.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you still think only one political class indoctrinates youth you are gravely mistaken.
It's not a political class issue.......it's truth and reality versus not truth and agenda. I would agree that in most cases it's pretty obvious which is which, but obviously it's not that obvious to a heck of a lot of people out there these days, including some right here on this forum. Just look at our society and state of affairs these days. It's a train wreck, just like our schools and education system. Obviously not everybody is practicing truth, morality, and doctrine.......in teaching or learning.

WCB

WKR
Can some parents do a great job homeschooling...absolutely.
Is it for everyone and can every parent be a good educator....absolutely not.
Are public schools a dead end and the absolute scum of the earth indoctrination stations...absolutely not.
Are private schools students all leaps and bounds above public school kids...absolutely not.
Are all homeschool kids geniuses and well adjusted, socialized members of society....absolutely not.
Are all homeschool kids hermit serial killers...absolutely not.
Could your kids get shot at the mall, in a theatre, at the park, etc...absolutely.
Is that a reason to stop shopping, seeing movies, playing, etc....absolutely not.

Will I judge someone for homeschooling.... depends on how your kids turn out and if you commit to it AND if needed admit you are doing a bad job and do what is best for the child. A LOT of people do just fine homeschooling and it is right for them and their kids. However, I know of A LOT of kids that would be better off or would have been better of attending their local public school because parents weren't realistic about THEIR abilities as an educator. Sorry it is not as simple as time management and following a curriculum. There are technics and teaching styles that work best on individuals and some of you would be amazed at how many parents don't know their kids and how they learn (including parents of previously homeschooled kids).

I believe that there can be unintended consequences for homeschooling. Some parents are qualified and probably do a great job with both the education and socialization part. In my opinion the majority don’t.

Having said that, I totally understand the feeling of wanting to shelter kids from school shootings and liberal agendas. Just because I am generally against home schooling, doesn’t mean I don’t understand why some would choose to.

Reactions: WCB

amassi

WKR
It's not a political class issue.......it's truth and reality versus not truth and agenda. I would agree that in most cases it's pretty obvious which is which, but obviously it's not that obvious to a heck of a lot of people out there these days, including some right here on this forum. Just look at our society and state of affairs these days. It's a train wreck, just like our schools and education system. Obviously not everybody is practicing truth, morality, and doctrine.......in teaching or learning.
I guess my main issue is I'm not afraid of the gov Indoctrination of my kids because 1- the government is largely incapable at pulling off such a large scale project and is generally Inept at everything
2-I've got good kids and, for now anyway, they still look to us for guidance and debate on issues. And they are learning to research issues and wade through both sides bs to find where the truth typically hides around the middle.
Our kids get exposed to so much information/disinformation than when we were young.

I understand peoples reluctance if they feel their kids slipping towards the dark side and pulling away from their family values, often times these people will bemoan the governments inability to do stiff while simultaneously claiming the government to be all powerful, lucky for us it can't be both.

amassi

WKR
Especially considering some homeschoolers have more intelligence and capability than any mere professional teacher could even aspire to, at least by their own humble estimation.
I don't think that's it at all, I just feel like not everyone belongs in public school. Some kids need to go to homeschooling, religious schools, fundamental schools, art schools, trade schools, hippie communes et el. Make America weird again

Status
Not open for further replies.