Homeschooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who all here homeschools their kids? 3 boys here - oldest starts school next fall . We are currently committed to homeschooling for many various reasons and my wife and I are both self employed. The recent shooting just solidifies things for me. What are others experiences with it? Advice on structure, etc?

My wife consults for writing a custom curriculum for homeschoolers if you're interested. She has a masters in STEM and is currently developing a homeschool co-op for High School age kids as well

bozeman

WKR
My wife consults for writing a custom curriculum for homeschoolers if you're interested. She has a masters in STEM and is currently developing a homeschool co-op for High School age kids as well
No WAAAYYYY.....home school curriculums and home school parents are beneath sub-par compared to our gov't public education.........a lot of experts on this thread have said so. lol

No WAAAYYYY.....home school curriculums and home school parents are beneath sub-par compared to our gov't public education.........a lot of experts on this thread have said so. lol

Despite that belief, you actually be surprised at how easy it is to provide an extremely high level of education with just a few tips and resources.. Public school is basically .gov provided child care

bozeman

WKR
@307- go read all 9 pages....numerous comments on lack of parents suitability compared to degreed teachers....from the 'experts' of course.....

@307- go read all 9 pages....numerous comments on lack of parents suitability compared to degreed teachers....from the 'experts' of course.....
Broad sweeping statements about whether parents or public school teachers are "more qualified" to teach are a complete waste of time. Of course there are some of each who are and some of each who definitely are not. The only thing you can say for sure (at least the vast majority of the time) is that the public school teachers have degrees, usually in the subject they are teaching. Most (not all) home school parents do not.

IMO home schooling is basically parents being extra protective of the information and environment their children receive and are exposed to. Sometimes it even works out. :D Sometimes, public school even works out. ;)

Growing up is a traumatic experience for most kids. Protecting them from traumatic experiences can have the effect of allowing them to develop in a healthy environment. It can also have the effect of sheltering them and having them enter the real world completely unprepared. I've seen both, multiple times, from home schoolers and public schoolers alike.

Parents can do what they want with their child within the law. The concern I have for home schooling is the same I have for private schooling which is essentially "high grading" the public education system, leaving families with fewer means to enroll their kids in the public system and creating a public school system that is overrepresented by lower income and single parent students. That creates a self-fulfilling prophecy for those who remove their kids from the public system and then turn around and criticize the public system.

We sent our three through public schools intentionally. My wife has a masters degree and teaches high school science (all the sciences) so she was more than qualified to home school. We chose public schools and intentionally chose public schools in a diverse community so that our kids would come into contact with kids that didn't look like them and didn't have the opportunities they have. It had the desired effect. Our kids are tolerant, grateful for everything they had growing up, and have done exceptionally well (one completing a masters at 22, another in medical school at Mayo and the third was accepted to a masters program at five elite schools including Harvard). In other words, the "C" rated small town public school system didn't hold them back one bit. If anything, it taught them not to look down on anyone who has it tougher than they do. They now have experiences in common with kids of lower income levels and from broken homes and that is a good thing in my opinion.

Broomd

WKR
Name 1 that's as laughably absurd as a 5,000 year old earth?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Why? Respectfully, were you there? Dunno how old the Earth is, but neither do you or anyone else. I highly doubt this place is billions of years old. 5000? Meh, seems way young but I wasn't there.
What's laughably absurd is people taking anything 'science' says anymore as gospel, pun intended.

"Peer reviewed" science is increasingly corrupt as all of these educated insects have an agenda.
And anymore 'science' changes every six minutes, case in point: covid and the ridiculous 'follow the science' mantra. LOL.

Broomd

WKR
Re. homeschooling, the Abeka program is excellent. Homeschooling is the way to go. Just be sure to socialize the kids amongst others for those important skills. Youth group, sports, etc.

The NEA (Teacher's Union) is from the pit of hell, a pox on all of 'em. I'D NEVER SCHOOL MY KIDS IN PUBLIC EDUCATION in 2022.
Our daughter home schooled from '05-08. Tested off the charts with graduation.
After that she was the youngest on campus at the U of Idaho, Moscow.

amassi

WKR
Why? Respectfully, were you there? Dunno how old the Earth is, but neither do you or anyone else. I highly doubt this place is billions of years old. 5000? Meh, seems way young but I wasn't there.
What's laughably absurd is people taking anything 'science' says anymore as gospel, pun intended.

"Peer reviewed" science is increasingly corrupt as all of these educated insects have an agenda.
And anymore 'science' changes every six minutes, case in point: covid and the ridiculous 'follow the science' mantra. LOL.
Nope but the dinosaurs were - did Noah flood the earth to kill the dinosaurs?
Also we can measure age using radioactive and carbon dating.

amassi

WKR
How about you can be a man even if you have given birth to a kid?
I'd take a gender fluid person any day over someone who believes in a literal translation of a book written by pedos 2000 years ago.

Broomd

WKR
Nope but the dinosaurs were - did Noah flood the earth to kill the dinosaurs?
Also we can measure age using radioactive and carbon dating.

Noah flooded the Earth to kill Dino? Uh, okay.

I've seen two day old objects carbon dated to be thousands of years old. It's garbage, flawed technology.

I don't claim to have all of the answers, but I'd rather put my faith in In the beginning, God..., than anything 'science' tells us regarding the origin of man. You do you.

Whether you care to admit it or not you have put your faith in Darwin, et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.