Honda Rancher vs Pioneeer

Voyageur

WKR
I've been following a different UTV thread in this forum and it has intrigued me enough to begin weighing my options. Currently I own a Honda Rancher. The only shortcoming it has is it's a pain to carry a passenger. I probably only do so 10% of the time (at most), but when I do it is inconvenient. As I look at the Honda Pioneer (500 or 520) it seems as if that would solve the passenger problem while still maintaining the utilitarian no frills features of my Rancher.
I'm also thinking the option of having a cab on the Pioneer would be a big plus in cold weather.
I'm curious what other pros/cons there are when comparing the two???

Cons of the Pioneer: under powered, very limited suspension travel, minimal cargo storage, no power steering, narrow seating.

Pros: 2 seats....

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Cons of the Pioneer: under powered, very limited suspension travel, minimal cargo storage, no power steering, narrow seating.

Pros: 2 seats....
Thanks.
I did not realize the Pioneer doesn't have power steering.

I picked up a used Pioneer 500 early last fall. It has been a great machine for the wife and I so far. As stated, it is no speed demon and suspension travel makes the ride a bit rough at times but neither are a deal breaker for me. I personally love being able to down shift for engine breaking. I also like the open rack on the 500. It leaves the option to customize what kind of box/rack I want to use. For hauling my wife and I, navigating around tight gates and getting from A to B on logging roads, it’s the perfect set up for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catchfish

WKR
Never used a pioneer, but one year I had a friend came up from AZ and we went moose hunting a couple evenings together. I always use a 4 wheeler for access to a local camp I have and instead of rustling a wheeler for him I borrowed a Rhino from my parents to get out there. I never realized how much standing up on the wheeler allowed me to see into the woods and over our local foliage. I did not like sitting down inside the rhino I couldn't see what was in the trees. I now understood why I had seen SxS folks drive right past moose before you couldn't see them from inside the cab, but if one stands in the back now you have an elevated vantage point.

Vandal 44

WKR
I have owned my Pioneer 500 for about two years now and I like it way better than my 4-wheeler, for a couple of reasons 1) I can put the windshield and roof on when the weather gets bad, rain, snow, and wind. Yes you will get a little wet but I would get soaked on the 4-wheeler. 2) If I want to take a buddy or my 4 four old grandson with me there is room, not a lot of room be a hell of a lot more than my 4-wheeler. 3) It is much easier to haul my gear and any animal I shoot from bear, deer and elk.

Is it under powered; yes, but how fast do you need to go when hunting. I am not a fan of going fast on logging roads. Just this past weekend I go into a head on collision with a guy in a Honda Ridgeline up in the mountains. I was headed down the mountain, only going 15 miles per hour. I came around a corner and BAM. I have spent countless hours in the mountains driving roads and this is the first time I got into an accident in the mountains

No Power steering, its not that big of a deal, it would be nice. There is an aftermarket power steering kit a person could get

Limited Suspension Travel, yes; but there again you get make some modification to the Pioneer 500. I have not needed extra suspension travel, but there again I am not running my machine full throttle.

The full cab system for Honda Side by Side line is limited. In my opinion this is the biggest issue with the Pioneer 500

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I have owned my Pioneer 500 for about two years now and I like it way better than my 4-wheeler, for a couple of reasons 1) I can put the windshield and roof on when the weather gets bad, rain, snow, and wind. Yes you will get a little wet but I would get soaked on the 4-wheeler. 2) If I want to take a buddy or my 4 four old grandson with me there is room, not a lot of room be a hell of a lot more than my 4-wheeler. 3) It is much easier to haul my gear and any animal I shoot from bear, deer and elk.

Is it under powered; yes, but how fast do you need to go when hunting. I am not a fan of going fast on logging roads. Just this past weekend I go into a head on collision with a guy in a Honda Ridgeline up in the mountains. I was headed down the mountain, only going 15 miles per hour. I came around a corner and BAM. I have spent countless hours in the mountains driving roads and this is the first time I got into an accident in the mountains

No Power steering, its not that big of a deal, it would be nice. There is an aftermarket power steering kit a person could get

Limited Suspension Travel, yes; but there again you get make some modification to the Pioneer 500. I have ot needed extra suspension travel, but there again I am not running my machine full throttle.

The full cab system for Honda Side by Side line is limited. In my opinion this is the biggest issue with the Pioneer 500
Appreciate the detailed response.
I've heard it said more than once that the Pioneer is under powered. Would you (or anyone for that matter) elaborate. Does that mean you can't go as fast as you like? Can't access rough terrain, mud, snow, steep, etc?
Any clearance issues with the Pioneer compared to the Rancher?
It's my understanding that more suspension travel equates to a smoother ride???
Thanks.

ahlgringo

WKR
I have a pio 500 as well.
Underpowered is on the top end- its got a max speed in the 30's. But... the granny first gear will climb a wall in 4w. I have never felt it underpowered except on the top end. The lack of power steering is a non-issue for me- its not that hard to turn the wheels unless you are a 8yr old girl. The suspension is rough. Clearance is not different than a rancher, especially if you put a little bigger tires on it- the stock ones are tiny. The other thing is that the stock skid plate is nothing more than 1/8" of plastic. I heavily encourage the installation of a real skid plate. I fabbed mine out of 1/8" diamond plate and have had it high centered on rocks multiple times without a problem.

Now- the one thing I don't like about it.. The thing is tippy, much different than a 4 wheeler that you can throw your weight around and stand on the upside of a canted trail. I actually tipped and rolled mine on a trail I had no business being on. But... winched it back up onto the trail, started right up and after I cleaned up the yard sale of stuff that was strewn out of the bed, I was on my way.

Spike elk

WKR
Pioneer will be my next "4 wheeler". I would like a cab/windshield yet still want to access logging roads with width restrictions. Getting too old for the cold/rain/snow. Don't want to cough up the jingle for more expensive side by side and compared to my old Eiger will be a Cadillac. BTW that old Eiger has been bullet proof.

tdhanses

WKR
Personally I think you’ll like the pioneer 500 more then the 4wheeler, also double check but I heard the 520 doesn’t have a low gear, so make sure on that when you look at the 520 vs the 500.

I just added door to mine and you may be able to find a fabric door system that will work with the windshield and roof you choose, checkout superatv, I’ve put a bunch of their stuff on my 1000-5.

Just get ready to open you wallet, these things start to drain funds quick just because you can do so much to them. I don’t think Fox makes shocks for the 500 but I know Walker Evans does, that would be a huge improvement in ride.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
Pioneer will be my next "4 wheeler". I would like a cab/windshield yet still want to access logging roads with width restrictions. Getting too old for the cold/rain/snow. Don't want to cough up the jingle for more expensive side by side and compared to my old Eiger will be a Cadillac. BTW that old Eiger has been bullet proof.
Same needs/criteria on my end

Bumping this thread as I’m looking to get a 520. I’d be mostly using this during elk and deer hunting here in Colorado and wanted to see if anyone had any experience doing the same. Was originally planning on getting a rancher/rubicon ATV but the price points are not very far apart and figured I’d like the ability to add a roof and windshield to get out of the elements during bad weather. Any thoughts?

Grover

FNG
Bumping this thread as I’m looking to get a 520. I’d be mostly using this during elk and deer hunting here in Colorado and wanted to see if anyone had any experience doing the same. Was originally planning on getting a rancher/rubicon ATV but the price points are not very far apart and figured I’d like the ability to add a roof and windshield to get out of the elements during bad weather. Any thoughts?
I just bought a 2022 520 and love it. Loading it up with accessories now. Very good going up and down but be careful side hilling or in a rutty road. As Ahlgringo said, it is very tippy. You can get bigger tires and add spacers but that puts you over the 50” mark….barely. All said and done, I have zero complaints and I can now load it in the back of my truck and tow my trailer.

I just bought a 2022 520 and love it. Loading it up with accessories now. Very good going up and down but be careful side hilling or in a rutty road. As Ahlgringo said, it is very tippy. You can get bigger tires and add spacers but that puts you over the 50” mark….barely. All said and done, I have zero complaints and I can now load it in the back of my truck and tow my trailer.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. Have a deposit down on one currently so we’ll see how long it takes to get one in!

If solely for hunting/forest road purposes a Pioneer 500 seems to make a lot more sense than a 4 wheeler. The 4 wheeler has utility value working on a property when you've got to get off/on regularly, working and moving.

On extended drives on the streets to get to the forest roads, when temps got to 30's it was sure nice once I got the windshield on my sxs.

If solely for hunting/forest road purposes a Pioneer 500 seems to make a lot more sense than a 4 wheeler. The 4 wheeler has utility value working on a property when you've got to get off/on regularly, working and moving.

On extended drives on the streets to get to the forest roads, when temps got to 30's it was sure nice once I got the windshield on my sxs.
Great feedback, thanks!

11boo

WKR
2020 thread is alive. Sometimes I wish I had gone with the pioneer 1000, just for a bigger cargo area and that bench seat. But having driven both, the Yamaha Wolverine is a good fit. You do need to be a bit more “athletic“ to get in/out of the Yamaha, but once you are in it is really nice. Buckle up and you are in there.

32C30CEA-A409-4B00-BDA4-B39AB3E7BBAB.jpeg

I looked at the 50” options, Yamaha has none in a SxS, others do. Just not much room in those for gear for two guys.

11boo

WKR

Anything with a roof and windshield is superior to an ATV
in cold. My windshield was a huge change. Highs during this hunt were 20 degrees. I was fine in there.

25790671-2B57-4647-99D3-5E7DFBE918E5.jpeg