Honest Initial Review of 2 Puffys: SG Grumman vs Rab Electron

@FlyingDutchman appreciate the feed back a lot. I’m from WA state, about an hour from the border. Im use to the winds, though it doesn’t get as cold here as in Eastern Washington. I’m wanting to get this as a backpacking insulation jacket for lightweight/packable reasons for backcountry hunts. And since I just got my tax return....I might as well spend some!

@Dos Perros what temps were you sitting in? Also, what were you wearing on your bottom?

Into the teens, maybe 15 or so. Wearing Kuiu 200 merino, then Sitka Ascent, then FL puffy pants (the synthetic ones, Uncompaghre maybe?).

I’ll admit I am colder than most folks. But the wind can rip here.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
No joke, the Positron Pro looks like a cooker for sure!!

Yes, I find the Positron Pro to be more than I want for even lite activity at below 0. But as a parka to pull on when I stop and put away before restarting it is amazing. It also weighs more than my 20 degree down sleeping bag at 28 ounces. It is only 15 ounces less than my wife's -5 degree down bag.

Beyond just the increased down fill, the Electron has several features that make it nicer than the Microlight Alpine. Off the top of my head these are; better cuffs, longer backside, helmet compatible hood, and pockets that are easier to get into with a pack on.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, I find the Positron Pro to be more than I want for even lite activity at below 0. But as a parka to pull on when I stop and put away before restarting it is amazing. It also weighs more than my 20 degree down sleeping bag at 28 ounces. It is only 15 ounces less than my wife's -5 degree down bag.

Beyond just the increased down fill, the Electron has several features that make it nicer than the Microlight Alpine. Off the top of my head these are; better cuffs, longer backside, helmet compatible hood, and pockets that are easier to get into with a pack on.
Please stop! I don't want to look at this jacket too, and then their website, and then end up buying more jackets!

I bet the true deal lies with the montbell. The alpine has 7.1 oz of 800fill and it's box baffle construction! For $300. I bet it's much warmer than the electron.

I bet the true deal lies with the montbell. The alpine has 7.1 oz of 800fill and it's box baffle construction! For $300. I bet it's much warmer than the electron.
This is madness. I was set on the Grumman, then FlyingDutchman persuaded me to the Electron, which made me consider possibly the Neutron, now you show me the Montbell Alpine....just when I think I’ve made my mind, another one pops up. Lol. *face palm*

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This is madness. I was set on the Grumman, then FlyingDutchman persuaded me to the Electron, which made me consider possibly the Neutron, now you show me the Montbell Alpine....just when I think I’ve made my mind, another one pops up. Lol. *face palm*
The mods need to close this thread!

Haha I know. When you allow options from manufacturers outside outside the hunting industry, it gets hard

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
That Montbell Alpine looks nice.

Also consider what you will be using it for. There is such a thing is too warm. A layering system with a thin puffy will be more flexible than a single, really warm puffy. Plus, warmth comes with bulk. Box baffle will be warmer for the same fill, however it will also be bulkier on your body and not move with you quite as well. My guess is that between the Electron and the Montbell Alpine the added bulk would be noticeable while the change in mobility would be minimal.

The Rab Microlight Alpine over a fleece is what I use more than anything else until it starts getting to -10 or so. In part because my wife always takes my Electron.

Please stop! I don't want to look at this jacket too, and then their website, and then end up buying more jackets!

This thread has me wanting another jacket Electron so that I can actually use it.

204guy

WKR
Picked up the last XL Electron from campsaver for $200. I like my grumman but there's been times when it's not enough. I do also wish it had a longer torso.

I doubt it’s “much warmer” than the Electron, but probably a little. That was the jacket I had my heart set on before I found the Rab for much less money. If you’re paying full retail get the Montbell.

I doubt it’s “much warmer” than the Electron, but probably a little. That was the jacket I had my heart set on before I found the Rab for much less money. If you’re paying full retail get the Montbell.
I would totally buy another rab if I could find one on sale in a medium. I have a small and it's too small :( love it otherwise

j33

WKR
Montbell down is not coated, Electron is coated. If that matters to you, reason I was planning to get an Electron, until I found a used SKRE jacket....

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Montbell jackets from Japan can be had cheaper on ebay but you’d have to size up

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Are they a different size than what's on montbell.us website? Or is that a joke?
No joke...Japanese sizing as well as Euro sizing is different than US. I typically wear a large in most US sizes but have to wear an XL in Rab because sizing is different. Japanese same thing. You would just have to covert cm to inches on Montbell Japan. Same product just sized diferently.

Montbell jackets from Japan can be had cheaper on ebay but you’d have to size up

Ya I kept an eye out there too.

Pretty disappointed it appears Montbell has nearly zero US distribution. No one stocks anything. Seems like a great product at a fair price.

One time their Mirage went on sale and I added to cart and had a moment of doubt about how this the 7D must be and decided against.

I do love this Rab. But the Montbell, I want one someday.

204guy

WKR
My Electron showed up. XL in the orange color. I like it quite a lot. I'm 6' 195 and fit is good, loosish with room to layer a fleece or active jacket under. Length is great sleeves have good length and the back is nice and long. Also has beefy zippers which is nice although the zipper are backwards from american style.

XL electron is 18 3/8 oz
L grumman is 12 2/8 oz

The electron is a bit loftier I'd say, and definitely more durable than the grumman. The xl electron fits a fair bit looser than my L grumman, and has longer sleeves and body length. I'll still be grabbing the grumman for backpack type hunts for the weight savings. I see the electron making it's way into my pack for later season day type hunts where the weight isn't nearly as big a deal and the added warmth and looser fit will both be a plus.