Honest Initial Review of 2 Puffys: SG Grumman vs Rab Electron

I was able to get the Rab Electeon for $200 and I don’t think you can do better at that price. Very impressed with that jacket. It’s actually too warm to wear around town in normal winter weather, but very welcome during this frigid cold we are having now.

I am kinda confused on the value prop of the SG. I just don’t see what it does better for the price compared to the granola brands. I also don’t think it’s likely to be warm enough for late season rifle hunting.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
@FlyingDutchman nice review.

How would you compare the noise of both jackets?
I’ve been looking at the Grumman and almost pulled the trigger but that RAB electron pro looks pretty awesome.

I’d be using either one for glassing mainly, and sleeping in if temps drop low enough to warrant a puffy inside my sleeping bag.

part of me is leading towards the RAB bc it does offer more down. I can always unzip if I get too hot. Thoughts?
Noise is a draw. I believe in general the thinner the denier the less noise, but these two are really close. Scientifically the edge probably goes to the Grumman, but it would be imperceptible to our ears. I will say this Electron is stupid warm. You want this one if you want to be very warm. I have been wearing it ice fishing and steelhead fishing in frigid -10 deg to +10 deg F conditions. I had it out yesterday and this morning in negative temps and it's super comfortable. With that said, you also may be too warm in some conditions wearing a puffy with 7+oz of 800+fill. I usually take it off for driving around in the vehicle.
This is a cold weather down jacket great for stationary tasks like glassing. I am super happy with it.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Your post must have been read by many, as that jacket now seems pretty hard to find - at least in large and Pine colors! Found a sweet deal though in orange

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
The Electron is the last years model and Electron Pro the newer model. Electron will be hard to find now that we’re at the end of winter. I’m sure you’ll see closeouts of the Electron Pro coming up. I had actually bought 3 electron one in Pine, one in Oxide(Orange), and one Graphene which is charcoal grey. I ended up keeping the Graphene Grey. The orange was actually the best looking IMO but the orange Pertex is a little more opaque or see through, so you tended to see some down feathers and clusters. Not a biggie really. They’re all really nice looking.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
The Electron is the last years model and Electron Pro the newer model. Electron will be hard to find now that we’re at the end of winter. I’m sure you’ll see closeouts of the Electron Pro coming up. I had actually bought 3 electron one in Pine, one in Oxide(Orange), and one Graphene which is charcoal grey. I ended up keeping the Graphene Grey. The orange was actually the best looking IMO but the orange Pertex is a little more opaque or see through, so you tended to see some down feathers and clusters. Not a biggie really. They’re all really nice looking.
Thanks for the added detail. Is there any material difference between the two models?

chasewild

WKR
I've had 3 Rab Alpine's now and the quality is unmatched (the only reason I've had three was I had one stolen and then I ripped the zipper on the second). THe Pertex face is really impressive and the cuffs and cinch's work great. In my opinion, Rab is right up there with Arcteryx.

Edit: My third alpine zipper. They repaired it with a number 5 ykk zipper and it seems better, but I'm thinking the Arcteryx is a better bet.

Last edited:

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Of note: Rab is one of the only companies that always makes their female clothing to the same standard as the male version. Many otherwise good brands will do things such as make a men's puff jacket with 800 down fill, but the same jacket in women's will be 650 fill. Or, the men's hardshell pants will have a 500denier ankle scuff guard but they'll leave it off the women's version. I could go on.....my wife is often disappointed with the dumbing-down of the mountain gear she buys as compared to mine, except when she buys Rab.

Rab makes seriously legit mountain gear.

I bought a SG Grumman jacket this past year. I like it ok, but I don't think it lives up to its hype machine. I wouldn't pay that price again, too many as good or better puffs available from non Huntagucci brands.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the added detail. Is there any material difference between the two models?
They both use the same Pertex Quantum Pro 20D fabric so I don’t think there’s a difference between the old Electron and the newer pro model besides color.
Another solid option is the Alpine which is a 30D fabric so similar to a Patagonia Down Sweater. It has a little less fill weight and power vs Electron if you’re looking for an earlier season puffy.

@FlyingDutchman any chance you could pack it down into the stuff sack and measure and post a picture? Once the color I want in a size large comes available I’m hitting that order button. Thanks for the info.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
@FlyingDutchman any chance you could pack it down into the stuff sack and measure and post a picture? Once the color I want in a size large comes available I’m hitting that order button. Thanks for the info.
Sure here you go in XL. It’s not the most compact but reasonable for that fill weight. SG Grumman packs smaller at 8"x4. I never actually tried stuffing the Grumman into its stuff sack to see how cramped it was. The Rab does pack quite easily into the stuff sack, and you can compress the Rab another 30% fairly easily into a 6”x6” ball. Large probably packs down a bit smaller.59914537-5AD2-4657-A78C-4CC1AAC3CB32.jpeg0ADFDEBB-33EB-4CF1-9EC6-AA18CFA43261.jpegC65E2837-1CF8-4372-BA6F-987775F64498.jpeg34BC722A-E360-4701-BAF3-ED09E012E1E2.jpeg

Last edited:
@FlyingDutchman thanks for the photos. One last question. I usually wear a mid weight merino basayer + Sitka heavyweight hoody. What temperature do you think you could sit in without getting cold while wearing the Electron. I know people vary in temps but more of a “best guess”.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
@FlyingDutchman thanks for the photos. One last question. I usually wear a mid weight merino basayer + Sitka heavyweight hoody. What temperature do you think you could sit in without getting cold while wearing the Electron. I know people vary in temps but more of a “best guess”.
Oh boy that's tough. It depends on where you are from and what you're used to. If you are from Northern States that border Canada like MT,ND,MN,WI,MI,NY, etc, then probably I would feel comfortable in it to -20deg F or better. Other states where you haven't acclimated to the cold yet maybe 0-20deg??? I have been wearing it recently with a lightweight merino top, patagonia R1, the Sitka Jetstream vest and the electron jacket in -12F with probably a -19F windchill. I was stationary ice fishing for several hours. I just sit on a bucket, no shanty. I was cozy warm. I was also wearing snow pants, warm gloves and hat. I would say this is a jacket for me with comfort when layered from -20 to 45F. If you are moving around at all above 40 though and its too warm and would have to be unzipped. If you were going to get stuck on a stalk for many hours pinned down stationary in -temps in the wind then I'd layer more.

Last edited:
I used my Electron for a week hunting western KS week after Christmas and it was cold. I wear a base layer then Sitka Core Heavyweight then jacket. In a good breeze just sitting glassing I’ll admit I got cold in the teens.

I’ve sat quite comfortably in a demonstrably colder jacket below zero, but with no wind.

I used my Electron for a week hunting western KS week after Christmas and it was cold. I wear a base layer then Sitka Core Heavyweight then jacket. In a good breeze just sitting glassing I’ll admit I got cold in the teens.

I’ve sat quite comfortably in a demonstrably colder jacket below zero, but with no wind.
Oh boy that's tough. It depends on where you are from and what you're used to. If you are from Northern States that border Canada, then probably I would feel comfortable in it to -20deg F or better. I have been wearing it recently with a lightweight merino top, patagonia R1, the Sitka Jetstream vest and the electron jacket in -12F with probably a -19F windchill. I was stationary ice fishing for several hours. I just sit on a bucket, no shanty. I was cozy warm. I was also wearing snow pants, warm gloves and hat. I would say this is a jacket with comfort when layered from -20 to 45F. If you are moving around at all above 40 though and its too warm and would have to be unzipped. If you were going to get stuck on a stalk for many hours pinned down stationary in -temps in the wind then I'd layer more.
@FlyingDutchman appreciate the feed back a lot. I’m from WA state, about an hour from the border. Im use to the winds, though it doesn’t get as cold here as in Eastern Washington. I’m wanting to get this as a backpacking insulation jacket for lightweight/packable reasons for backcountry hunts. And since I just got my tax return....I might as well spend some!

@Dos Perros what temps were you sitting in? Also, what were you wearing on your bottom?

I love mine! But it's a size too small dang it! And I can't figure me any mediums on the web to replace my small with. Does anyone have a like new one they'd like to trade or sell me??

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Between my wife and me I have 5 Rab jackets (2 Microlight Alpines, 1 Electron, 2 Positron Pros) in the house. They have all heald up well to years of use. The Microlight Alpines and the Electron get used the most. While I avoid highly abrasive abuse (busting heavy brush, carrying multiple loads of firewood, or crawling under a vehicle), they are not treated gently and show no signs of wear other than stains after 4 years.

Last edited:
Between my wife and me I have 5 Rab jackets (2 Microlight Alpines, 1 Electron, 2 Neutrino Pros) in the house. They have all heald up well to years of use. The Microlight Alpines and the Electron get used the most. While I avoid highly abrasive abuse (busting heavy brush, carrying multiple loads of firewood, or crawling under a vehicle), they are not treated gently and show no signs of wear other than stains after 4 years.
How would compare the electron pro and the Neutrino Pro as far as warmth. Clearly the Neutrino has more down, but from what I recall not a ton more.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How would compare the electron pro and the Neutrino Pro as far as warmth. Clearly the Neutrino has more down, but from what I recall not a ton more.

Well, unfortunately I miss spoke. I have the Positron Pro, which is very warm. I don't have the Neutrino. Sorry.