Honest shed question

ridgefire

WKR
It gives me a excuse to get out and find/scout new areas and get done exercise. It's almost as easy to find bigfoot as it is to find a blacktail shed in western Washington where I hunt. I have found three this year so far so doing pretty good. All the moss makes thewalking quite anyways. 20200327_181220.jpg

Block

WKR
You can learn a ton while shed hunting,,, and double it as scouting in some areas. I killed a good desert buck this year less than 500 yards from where I found his antler.,,, Jason Carter has done this on 200+” deer as I’m sure many others have too...

Vince8112

FNG
After 6 months of winter here in Wyoming it is a great way to get out and break the winter blues. Don't sell mine other than the chalk so I can't comment on the selling part. There is something very cool about picking up multiple years off of a bull and being able to see how much they put on year after year. It's Easter egg hunting for adults! Plus it gets you in awesome shape when you are putting on 30+ miles each weekend.

BluMtn

WKR
No, with the virus going on I have not really talked to my friend to see what the market is doing. Probably not very good right now.

Shed hunting teaches you even more about animal behavior. I really think I learn more about elk and deer this time of year more that any other because I watch them so much!

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up going shed huntin with my dad. It was just something him and i got to do together to escape the house and spend some time together. We were also looking for morel mushrooms too of course. Now that i've moved and help run a small outfitting business we primarily go to take the dogs out and let them run but to also find the antlers off bucks we've gotten pics of all season with hopes of being able to share them with clients. It's fun when you have returning hunters from previous years that had an encounter with that specific buck and you watch them relive that moment with a physical piece of that memory like an antler. Just a cool off season activity the whole family can join in on.

BluMtn

WKR
just talked to a friend of mine that is a buyer and he said $14 is the going rate right now for brown for elk.

SonnyDay

WKR
I used to live in Alaska and found the hugest moose antler I've ever seen. Could have used it as a coffee table. I was hiking up a braided river so planned to pick it up on the way back down... but plans changed and I was not able to pick it up. That was over 20 years ago and it still bums me out!

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve picked up exactly one elk shed. Took it home and it sat in my garage until one day I looked at it and said, “Why the hell am I keeping this?” And tossed it. Since then I just leave them, and the skulls I’ve found.

I find they just take up room. It's great to get out but the animals dont shed in the country I like to hunt so I'm usually spending time chasing big fish. I do enjoy going on a few shed hunts but I never do anything with them so they usually just get admired and tossed back where I find them.

For me, I shed hunt to learn about my deer herd and take inventory on what bucks are remaining as well as go into areas I normally stay out of. They make for great stories along with history of certain identifiable bucks.
Oh, and my wife likes to use for decor around the house so its a win/win haha

Just plain fun. A great time of year to get out and cover some country. I still get very excited when I find them.

I really enjoy getting out in the hills after winter. Good way to stretch the legs and once you find your first one, it becomes addicting. I love my exo k3 for hauling sheds.

Attachments

• CB805D4B-8EB2-4B48-8739-FB69EE63AF3C.jpeg
    CB805D4B-8EB2-4B48-8739-FB69EE63AF3C.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 25

HDwild

WKR
I'm just out here trying to find some sweet 6x6 matching elk set to put on the dining room table. That's about the only hunting related decor my wife will allow in the house.

I have never found sheds on an actual shed hunting trip but dumb stuff happens when I'm hunting. I sat down on a log one time for lunch and looked down and found a year old 5 point shed basically under a log

Gen273

WKR
It is the all the above and like explaining to non hunters who don’t grasp why we do what we do in all conditions and beating ourselves up having fun and enjoying the suck....it is not for everyone and that is nice counting the days to next month🥰🤩 yes I have a problem I like finding antlers 🥰View attachment 153570

Excellent collection and great reasoning.