Hoodie Base Layer Recommendations

BigCam47

FNG
I have been scouring the interweb trying to find the perfect hoodie for a base layer or standalone piece. I recently ordered a Sitka heavyweight hoodie in dirt but it was out of stock so I’m back to the drawing board. Are the any other recommendations before I pull the trigger again? I’ve also looked at the First Lite Kiln and KUIU Peloton.

TIA!

LostArra

WKR
Black Ovis makes a nice hoodie base layer available regularly on Camofire.

I have the Sitka heavyweight hoodie and while I like it a lot it's not a baselayer for me.

WRM

WKR
I don't get hoodies. I much prefer a layer, neck gaiter and beanie/insulated hat. Lot of options of how to wear then. But, if you find yourself losing stuff constantly....you should keep up with the hood.

And I like Buffalo gear as my (pretty much) all in one layer.

Lowg08

WKR
I myself do not do a hoodie for a base but if that is your preference I would suggest the kiln or wick. I also have a strong fleece 260. It’s not a base though. I also wear a Klamath too

the sitka heavy weight is more mid layer.

sitka is releasing a few heavy weights in new solids this summer fyi

jd1006

WKR
Are you talking next to skin? What kind of weight? I think its common to layer with a thin base layer and then add a thicker layer if needed. For that base layer hoodie, I think the best two options are the sitka core HW hoody and the Kuiu Merino 145 hoody. Both have a zipper neck, which the Wick from First Lite does not, which is essential for more. I think Merino/Synthetic is a personal choice, and then after you’ve decided that, you look at the next layer up. I like the Voormi High E Hoody for the midlayer.

ozyclint

WKR

OP
B

BigCam47

FNG
Are you talking next to skin? What kind of weight? I think its common to layer with a thin base layer and then add a thicker layer if needed. For that base layer hoodie, I think the best two options are the sitka core HW hoody and the Kuiu Merino 145 hoody. Both have a zipper neck, which the Wick from First Lite does not, which is essential for more. I think Merino/Synthetic is a personal choice, and then after you’ve decided that, you look at the next layer up. I like the Voormi High E Hoody for the midlayer.
I’m sorry I should have clarified. I would be wearing a next to skin layer underneath the hoodie (Something moisture wicking) then a hoodie. I’m not well versed when it comes to weight so I’ll have to dive into that. I know I’m hot blooded so probably not the heaviest options. I do wear the Sitka LW hoodie during Turkey/early duck and I enjoy the zipper feature to vent when I’m super hot.

Bobcat

Lil-Rokslider
I like my FL Kiln, but seem to grab my Black Ovis hoodie most often. As LostArra mentioned, watch camofire.

Get the lightweight Sitka Core hoody, it has a built-in facemask that the heavyweight lacks. I returned the heavyweight and got a Fanatic (it has the facemask) for colder weather but the lightweight is ideal for temps above 40* (if you are moving like those of us who Spot & Stalk. Adding a merino base to the lightweight Core hoody makes it the one piece of kit I always take. Saved my butt in the swamps of Canada during a moose hunt, the bugs were relentless. The merino base I wore (Aerowool briefs and short sleeved zip tee) and Polygiene® Core hoody never smelled bad even after two weeks in the field when we would start at 5am and hunt till dusk at 9:40pm.

MOOSEMAN2.jpg

Columbia omni heat zip hoodie makes a great mid/insulation layer or stand alone. I cut the sleeves off mine for layering better when it’s cold.

H80Hunter

WKR
I wear a first lite wick tee under a sitka apex hoodie basically every day of whitetail season (obviously layering over the apex as it progresses).

Anybody know of any merino/synthetic blend (closer to 50/50) hoodie that is available in Camo? Or try dying an earth tone shirt into a camo shirt lol?

I’m looking for a higher percentage of synthetic than most companies use for durability and lower cost. The 50/50 blend that Black Ovis utilizes works phenomenally well for accomplishing both.

thebest3

Lil-Rokslider
check out mtn op also. they have couple option. but all are solid color only..

Lowg08

WKR
This got me to looking looks like tusx offers a 70% synthetic 30% merino. Never heard of them but it’s a minette quarter zip?