Hoodie Problems

This may go down as the most unproductive thread ever....

I can’t say enough how much I love how far all the new technical hunting clothing has come, however, I have one complaint.

I hate the stupid, human-condom hoods that they put on the hoodies. I like my gear to fit snug as not to snag on my bow, etc, but these hoods are ridiculous. I miss a nice loose hood that I could just drape over my head to take the chill off or give myself some shade.

Am I the only one?

OP
I feel like the biggest cornhole of all time when I zip these suckers up. It’s hilarious, and so dysfunctional to me, and I have a tiny head to begin with. I can’t imagine what someone with a normal size head feels like....

Vandy321

WKR
I think they're like that to be able to move WITH your head (scanning as you walk the timber)..vs a sweatshirt type hoodie that fits nice and loose where as you turn your head, you find yourself staring into the side of your hood....not exactly functional in a hunting situation, except maybe glassing.

I will say, it's not just hunting brands, arcteryx has a bunch of base/mid layers with tighter hoods like that. I'm a fan of them, easier to layer multiple hooded tops with that style as well.

Last edited:

LJ Buck

WKR
I love that style of hoods personally. Zipped up with hood off is like wearing a neck gaiter super functional. I also appreciate the style you describe.

The one hoodie I have that isn’t like that and love is the Kryptek Altitude Arma.

Jimss

WKR
The biggest complaint I have with hoodies is the material almost always goes over the ears. Makes it tough to hear game. Obviously if a hoodie sticks out too far it impedes vision. I usually wear my hoodie for 2 reasons. #1 warmth, #2 shed water. Just about every jacket I own has a hoodie.

xcutter

WKR
I prefer the hood on my Sitka Core Heavy Weight Hoody but the First Lite Klamath is my second favorite as the hood doesn't seem to fit my head as well. The hood on the Klamath is bigger and tends to fall over my eyes if I do not have a hat on. Might check it out.

Man, I really don't like hoodies much. Kuiu's was too insignificant. Nonhunting brands were too bulky. I tried to make them work for me but couldn't. But buddies kept telling me how great they were. Then I got a FL Klamath and finally I love a hoodie. Always wear a brimmed hat with it. Problem solved.

OP
I am going to try a Klamath to see if that’s a little better. If not, I will just keep dealing with the shrink wrap hoodies.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Poncho Liner Hoodie is where its at. There are a few out there but the one from Black Rifle Coffee Company fits the best. Also its made out of a Poncho Liner (woobie for the uneducated) and it amazing. Wore mine with my patagonia shell to snow blow the drive way at 10 degrees and it was perfect. Walking around with it under the Uncomphagre at 10 degrees was way too hot and that was just walking the dog. Dries super fast, compressible, lightweight and doesnt tear easy. Plus its $50 not $100+ like some options out there.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't had them in hand, but Kryptek seems to have some looser hood options. Even their top of the line Altitude hoodie looks that way, might check them out.