Hoodlum Setups

Lmman44

FNG
Hey all I'm (im)patiently waiting for my kifaru hoodlum to be shipped and curious what your setups look like? I've got the bane coming along with it but haven't really thought much about pockets and accessories yet. Feel free to post pics of your setups and any tips or tricks you have with the duplex lite frame, hoodlum or bane and let's keep my hype train rollin 🤙🏼Screenshot_20200524-151938.png

I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on another pack. I cannot make up my mind between the Reckoning and the Hoodlum.

OP
Lmman44

Lmman44

FNG
I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on another pack. I cannot make up my mind between the Reckoning and the Hoodlum.
It'll be my first Kifaru so I'm not much help. But I really like the zippered pockets and don't need the webbing for pouches on the bottom sides of the bag.

Hogslayer

FNG
I am really wanting one of those hoodlums also. Never even seen a kifaru before only in vids and pics, they look awesome. Where I live in the southeast I am just wondering if that wide belt retains alot of heat wrapped around your waist. You need the big belt, but just concerned about if it gets real hot and sweaty where the belt fits.

OP
Lmman44

Lmman44

FNG
I am really wanting one of those hoodlums also. Never even seen a kifaru before only in vids and pics, they look awesome. Where I live in the southeast I am just wondering if that wide belt retains alot of heat wrapped around your waist. You need the big belt, but just concerned about if it gets real hot and sweaty where the belt fits.
I'm in AZ and hunt in the desert where it's 110+ degrees, and the belts on almost every pack I've had are a little hot and sweaty. The trade off with the kifaru (from what I hear) is its much more supportive and comfortable, and that's worth it to me.

BC_CO-OP

FNG
I've been running the Hoodlum with Bane for a couple of months now and have a few over-niters under my belt with it. the Bane flops around a bunch so I suck it down with the middle compression straps on the main pack. I feel like the guide lid or organizer guide lid would function better as a lid, but I'm super excited about having it in the back country on 5+ day trip. I usually set a base camp, so the Hoodlum will stay at camp and I can sneak around around like a ninja with just the Bane!

OP
Lmman44

Lmman44

FNG
I've been running the Hoodlum with Bane for a couple of months now and have a few over-niters under my belt with it. the Bane flops around a bunch so I suck it down with the middle compression straps on the main pack. I feel like the guide lid or organizer guide lid would function better as a lid, but I'm super excited about having it in the back country on 5+ day trip. I usually set a base camp, so the Hoodlum will stay at camp and I can sneak around around like a ninja with just the Bane!
Thanks for the feedback! Are you running it up top more like a lid? Or do you have it on the front of the bag like a Sherman? I'll probably end up with it on top like a lid since I'm in AZ and mostly hunt desert, and it won't be snagging on low hanging branches.

BC_CO-OP

FNG
I run it as high as possible with the shoulder straps connected to open ended female located in the loop just above the load lifter straps. I think you could get it a bit higher using the “k” clips

Anozira

WKR
I've been running the Hoodlum for just under a year now. There is some pictures on the 2nd page of this thread.

OP
Lmman44

Lmman44

FNG
I've been running the Hoodlum for just under a year now. There is some pictures on the 2nd page of this thread.

Thanks! I've been searching for hoodlum pics and I'm not sure how I missed that thread but I appreciate it! I feel like a kid waiting to go to Disneyland haha

HH393

FNG
Congrats dude, I just got my first Kifaru pack a little over a year ago, you won’t be disappointed. I went for the reckoning which is fairly similar, my brother ended up getting the same one shortly afterwards.

I went with the organizer lid while my brother went with the straight guide lid. I think I prefer the regular guide lid but if I had to do it again I would get the xpac lid so it is waterproof, I store a lot of things in the lid that are water sensitive and just use dry bags but it would be easier to just have it be waterproof. I also replaced the lid attachments with just male female buckles from Kifaru. I would consider grabbing some anyways as I broke one last year in the mountains and was glad I had spares.

I ended up configuring this pack a few ways but currently I have been running a nalgene pouch left side that I had from 5.11 and a xpac medium belt pouch on the right which is for things I need when I am walking, just put sunglasses, compass, etc in there for easy access. I only run one other external pouch now that just has things that I dont want to dig for like Allen keys for my bow, but that isn’t super necessary.

One upgrade I would like to see is a d loop inside the pockets to dummy link things to it.

Adjusting the pack is a little bit confusing the first time but do a few test runs and watch the videos on Kifaru for some advice. Took me a few times to get it where I wanted it.

Overall this is the best pack I have ever worn by a large margin.

Also side note, my brother put a rip in his belt and Kifaru sent him a new one no questions asked shipped right to his door. Excellent service.

Attachments

• E1E2FC54-B1DD-400F-B284-DA5B83B1AED0.jpeg
    E1E2FC54-B1DD-400F-B284-DA5B83B1AED0.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 178
OP
Lmman44

Lmman44

FNG
Congrats dude, I just got my first Kifaru pack a little over a year ago, you won’t be disappointed. I went for the reckoning which is fairly similar, my brother ended up getting the same one shortly afterwards.

I went with the organizer lid while my brother went with the straight guide lid. I think I prefer the regular guide lid but if I had to do it again I would get the xpac lid so it is waterproof, I store a lot of things in the lid that are water sensitive and just use dry bags but it would be easier to just have it be waterproof. I also replaced the lid attachments with just male female buckles from Kifaru. I would consider grabbing some anyways as I broke one last year in the mountains and was glad I had spares.

I ended up configuring this pack a few ways but currently I have been running a nalgene pouch left side that I had from 5.11 and a xpac medium belt pouch on the right which is for things I need when I am walking, just put sunglasses, compass, etc in there for easy access. I only run one other external pouch now that just has things that I dont want to dig for like Allen keys for my bow, but that isn’t super necessary.

One upgrade I would like to see is a d loop inside the pockets to dummy link things to it.

Adjusting the pack is a little bit confusing the first time but do a few test runs and watch the videos on Kifaru for some advice. Took me a few times to get it where I wanted it.

Overall this is the best pack I have ever worn by a large margin.

Also side note, my brother put a rip in his belt and Kifaru sent him a new one no questions asked shipped right to his door. Excellent service.
Awesome! Thanks for the input. I'm hoping it ships this coming week, Monday makes 4 weeks since ordering. I grabbed a bane as a lid. If I don't end up using much as a lid/big pocket I may just use it as a gym bag and get a guide lid in xpac. I did grab an xpac medium pocket to attach to the bane for some more organization. I'm sure I'll be making a bunch of pocket/pouch purchases so I can have some more options and get it dialed in.

HH393

FNG
Awesome! Thanks for the input. I'm hoping it ships this coming week, Monday makes 4 weeks since ordering. I grabbed a bane as a lid. If I don't end up using much as a lid/big pocket I may just use it as a gym bag and get a guide lid in xpac. I did grab an xpac medium pocket to attach to the bane for some more organization. I'm sure I'll be making a bunch of pocket/pouch purchases so I can have some more options and get it dialed in.

They are pretty versatile, let me know how the bane works out. My plan was to use the lid as a small pack which I have test run but I have never actually done it in the field. These packs can synch up pretty tight once you have your shelter and sleep system out. The reason I think I prefer the regular guide lid is that you could fit a puffy in it with a rain jacket and it has shoulder straps incorporated. The little pockets will fit a small msr stove, gloves, beenies and stuff like that but the big pocket barely fits rain gear, life straw, and a kill kit. It depends how you organize your gear. I run a pretty bulky arcteryx puffy so other models may not be an issue.

Last edited:
OP
Lmman44

Lmman44

FNG
Any updates on your Hoodlum?
I was actually getting around to posting it over the weekend at got sidetracked. I haven't been able to get all of my gear situated in it and take it on any trips but I've hiked with it a couple of times. I've taken it on a short 4 mile hike with 50lbs and it's flat out comfy. I really dig the duplex lite frame. I've also had 100-120lbs in it just for a quick mile to see how the duplex lite rides under a large load and man was I really surprised. I could still tell it was alot of weight but it was sucked to my back more and was much more stable. The lumbar pad and curved stays rode much better than my mystery ranch guide light I used to use. I'll get a better review written up when I can take it out with all my gear but I'm pretty sure it's a keeper! I'll get a review out on the bane soon too. I've been using it as my everyday pack and gym bag and it's the perfect minimalist (kind of) bag in my opinion. PSX_20200624_192338.jpg

Sweet! Mine should ship next week. I am outfitting mine with just a Standard Lid, 2 large and 2 medium belt pouches all on a Duplex Light Frame. I had my spare DT1 bag mounted on it and you're right. That thing just sticks to your back like a frame should.

OP
Lmman44

Lmman44

FNG
Sweet! Mine should ship next week. I am outfitting mine with just a Standard Lid, 2 large and 2 medium belt pouches all on a Duplex Light Frame. I had my spare DT1 bag mounted on it and you're right. That thing just sticks to your back like a frame should.
How you liking the new pack?

marktole

WKR
4950C536-4E25-4CF3-8829-E4A0E8BCE892.jpeg
BEAD0254-3919-4242-A327-D9CA0B73378F.jpeg
I said screw it at the last possible second this summer and got one. When black ovis had some kifaru stock.
Really liked it for elk hunting!